Talk

Advanced search

To think cookery books should have pictures of the finished dish?

(16 Posts)
MrsRobertDuvallHasRosacea Sat 13-Oct-12 19:54:52

I got Tana Ramsay's book from the library this morning.
Some good recipes, but only a few with pictures of the dish!

I like to see what I'm aiming for.....

Twinkleinmyeye Sun 14-Oct-12 08:15:33

I know what you mean, but given that my dishes NEVER look as they're supposed to, at least if I have no frame of reference I don't feel like it's "wrong"... grin

ZeldaUpNorth Sun 14-Oct-12 08:22:21

I totally agree, i often look for recipes online, but i always pass the ones with no picture as i like to see if it looks appetising (dp and kids wont eat it otherwise)

bedmonster Sun 14-Oct-12 08:27:12

Lorraine Pascal is the bloody same. Lots of pictures of her wearing white shirts licking spoons and zipping off on her sodding motorbike but only about half of her recipes have pictures to go with them confused

BrianButterfield Sun 14-Oct-12 08:27:48

I'm with you on this. The Hairy Bikers tend to have nice finished photos.

mamij Sun 14-Oct-12 08:31:36

I never get a cookbook without photos as I like seeing the finished product too! Why don't publishers think about this?!

marquesas Sun 14-Oct-12 08:32:48

Yes, totally agree. I find that I just don't use my cookbooks that have no pictures. Nigella's quick book (can't remember the title) is great as everything has a picture, the How to Eat one is the opposite and I never bother with it now.

JeezyOrangePips Sun 14-Oct-12 08:36:44

It doesn't bother me. I grew up with cookery books without pictures, and some of my favourite recipe books done have any.

The good thing about cookbooks sans pictures, is that they fill the space with more recipes. That can only be a good thing!

HorraceTheOtter Sun 14-Oct-12 09:21:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

snooter Sun 14-Oct-12 09:25:31

I don't mind whether there are pictures or not - it can be depressing if what you've made looks nothing like the illustration...

lurkedtoolong Sun 14-Oct-12 10:33:35

I don't mind if there aren't photos but what I hate are soft focus photos or "arty" photos with a fork in the foreground and the dish in the background really small. Either have nice photos of the finished meal or don't have photos at all.

halcyondays Sun 14-Oct-12 11:26:40

I don't mind if there are pictures or not, a lot of my favourite recipe books have no pictures. I'm not usually that bothered what the food looks like more what it tastes like.

MrsRobertDuvallHasRosacea Sun 14-Oct-12 13:32:08

There are actually pages which have half a page of recipe....then blank!!!!!
Aagh!

And lots of poncey pictures of her with her children. Comments like "Jack awards this top marks".

Good for Jack. Just get our camera out and take a picture then.

I prefer pictures but can do without but I prefer one or the other. Eg, Delia's Complete Cookery Course without is fine. I don't like it when dome do and some don't have pictures and yes hate all those happy Ramsay family shots.

My pet hate thinking about it is recipes not telling you how long they take, I use BBC Good Food a lot and really like the accurate time estimates

Startailoforangeandgold Sun 14-Oct-12 13:54:37

I don't mind picture or no pictures.

I do mind uncaptioned pictures and picture 3 pages away from the recipe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now