Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why some people lie about things that really arent worth lying about?

(12 Posts)
Bogeyface Sat 13-Oct-12 19:39:09

An ebay one.

Seller told a very elaborate story about why the item was 3 weeks late, a little too elaborate if you know what I mean.

The item was faulty so I contacted them, no reply, opened a case and they have totally contradicted themselves in their reply saying they sent it, had to send another as I said it hadnt arrived!

They are refunding, I am sending it back, everyone is happy.

So why lie?! It seems so pointless! Just say "sorry, forgot to post it" and "sorry it is faulty, return it for a refund" not paragraph after paragraph of BS!

Bogeyface Sat 13-Oct-12 19:40:25

And....forgot to say, that the whole "we sent an item, buyer claimed it hadnt arrived blah blah" had no bearing on the case, because at no point did they suggest I was pulling a fast one, they offered to refund straight away!

Nubbler Sat 13-Oct-12 22:25:15

Perhaps they damaged it and were too embarrassed to say so. eBay is another planet

YouMayLogOut Sat 13-Oct-12 22:39:08

Have you left feedback? It's fine to summarise what happened if you stick to the facts.

"Faulty item 3 weeks late, case opened, now refunded"

Bogeyface Sat 13-Oct-12 23:37:32

I havent, I was thinking of going for neutral, with pretty much the wording you suggest logout. Do you think neutral would be ok?

Nubbler but if thats the case why not say "sorry, broke the item during packaging (or whatever), I will refund you straight away". Thats what I would do!

YouMayLogOut Sat 13-Oct-12 23:40:03

If it was a problem which had been resolved quickly and honestly I'd go for a positive but in this situation I'd probably go for a neutral.

InfestationofLannisters Sat 13-Oct-12 23:41:32

Some people are compulsive that way. DH works with someone who is utterly incapable of telling the truth it seems. If you asked him his favourite colour he'd lie about it!

DeepPurple Sat 13-Oct-12 23:45:13

I used to work with a compulsive liar. The things she used to say beggared belief! She was 2 hours late to work one day so claimed she had an accident on the motorway, went into specific details about the crash and how she was spun around. She then said the police had shown her CCTV of the crash. Erm ok then hmm

Some people just can't be honest.

Bogeyface Sun 14-Oct-12 01:14:01

The message I got about it being late was that they went on holiday and left parcels for their son to post. He posted them but then a week later found one in his car, meant to post it, forgot and when told to go and post it, had an accident so forgot again......

Do you see why I think it was BS? Surely anyone else would say "Sorry! Thought I had posted all the parcels but found yours later! Will post tomorrow.", wouldnt they? Questioning myself now!

Zazzles007 Sun 14-Oct-12 01:45:10

Excuses, excuses..... I know what you mean OP.

I used to know someone like this, she was a compulsive liar and would lie about anything and everything, from how long she walked the dog for, to how well behaved her kids had been that day, on and on. Unsurprisingly the only people she ended up being friends with were those who were similarly deceptive and who did not live in the real world.

Glad you got your money back and was relatively unscathed!

duffybeatmetoit Sun 14-Oct-12 09:15:03

My XH turned up this weekend in a different car. Said the company he is temping for gave him one of their company cars so he would give a good impression to customers. All fine and dandy you might think until you spot the fact it's a V reg hmm

Couldn't give a toss what he's spending his money on - not my problem any more thank god!

theodorakis Sun 14-Oct-12 09:58:00

I once made up an elaborate reason why I might be a little late (and wasn't in the end) as I had to go to a family party in London and would rush back down on the train. I actually had a job interview in Isleworth and managed to get from Dorchester to there and back between 6am and 5pm which is when I started work. It was so ludicrous to make up such a long lie and then have to keep it up, especially when I was in the sisters office a few days later and discovered they had written to her for a reference and included the interview date/time anyway! Never again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now