Talk

Advanced search

To think that my mother can work past 65 if she wants to?

(9 Posts)
lighthousekeeping Sat 13-Oct-12 18:57:25

Bless her. I asked her what she was doing for her birthday and she said leaving the country as she doesn't want to be here, she's dreading 65. She said she's sick of people at work asking her if she's going at 65. From the youngsters who tell her "they won't be working when theyre her age" to her boss who is a complete bitch. She enjoys work. She likes the company plus she has a house to run on her own. I'm so annoyed.

Viperidae Sat 13-Oct-12 19:00:37

Absolutely she can work on if she wants to.

She should just whisper dramatically that she has to fund her expensive taste in toyboys but don't tell anybody. That should keep them guessing smile

RandomMess Sat 13-Oct-12 19:03:36

Blimey I reckon Dh and I will be working until we're 70, why on earth do the the youngsters think they''ll be gone by 65!!!!

Your poor Mum I lilke Viperidae's suggestion grin

lighthousekeeping Sat 13-Oct-12 19:41:22

She's just getting ready to go in. Three nights in a row she's got the energy thank goodness.

bonzo77 Sat 13-Oct-12 19:54:50

YANBU. I'm sure the law changed this week, so that employers cannot let someone go on the basis of their age.

zandy Sat 13-Oct-12 20:11:00

My friends mum works as a cook at Asda, at the age of 75. (part time). She needn't give up hope of working beyond 65 just yet.

Snog Sat 13-Oct-12 20:22:09

I guess the people making the comments think that they would prefer not to work after 65 and probably would prefer to stop working even earlier.

Agree some people want to keep working because they enjoy it and others can't afford to stop

schoolchauffeur Sat 13-Oct-12 20:49:45

My mum is just retiring in December aged 74- has been doing her job for 35 years and even now "she is not sure" she has done the right thing!! Loved her job but is just starting to find it a bit much - 27 hours a week starting at 8.00am !!
I think it has kept her sane all this time since my Dad retired 12 years ago- she is already looking for voluntary work.........

LonelyCloud Sat 13-Oct-12 22:11:27

YANBU.

Also, because of age discrimination laws , she can't legally be forced to retire just because of her age.

The age discrimination laws came into force last year, and the latest possible retirement date that could be set using default retirement age was 5 October 2012. Which, as bonzo77 said, is just over a week ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now