Talk

Advanced search

Am i doing the right thing?

(50 Posts)
Revelsarethebest Sat 13-Oct-12 14:41:28

Im worrying here as to whether im doing the right thing...

Its my due date tomorrow (first baby). From being 8 weeks pregnant, i ve had SPD. From being 6months pregnant its much, much worse.

For the last 3 months i ve been practically housebound, i ve been going out once a week only and thats just to get me out the house and even that has been hard work with the pain.

I went to my doctor who prescribed co-codamol 30/500mg.

They dont even touch the pain.

I dread getting up out of a chair, going to bed as it kills me getting in and out of it and turning over.

Walking from the living room to the kitchen is agony etc.

I went to see my consultant last tuesday who agreed to induce me on monday (one day after due date).

Consultant also checked my cervix and did a sweep. She said babys head wasnt far enough down for the sweep to probaly work. The sweep didnt work.

However the consultant did warn me that inducing before the baby and my body is ready could be a lengthy process, and carries a high risk of needing forceps etc.

This has made me really worried, im worried about forceps etc and im wondering whether im doing the right thing being induced.

I dont know what to do, continue with the pain im having for the next possible two weeks or be induced on monday.

NowThenNowThen Sat 13-Oct-12 14:44:31

Honestly? If I was you ? Ask for C section.
But that really is if I was you, and i'm not.

<hides>

Pancakeflipper Sat 13-Oct-12 14:48:21

I would be asking about birth options. Surprised they have not suggested a C section for your SPD.
I don't know much about C Sections but as you are in sonmuch pain and immobile a planned C Section would surely be apt?

Revelsarethebest Sat 13-Oct-12 14:48:22

I thought people could only have a c section under special circumstances, and i didnt think everyone was given the option?

Pancakeflipper Sat 13-Oct-12 14:48:58

<hides behind Nowthen>

Yama Sat 13-Oct-12 14:51:11

I'm another who would ask for a C Section.

zombieplanmum Sat 13-Oct-12 14:51:54

I think your circumstances are pretty special - you are in agony, the stress hormones that must be circulating in your body, let alone the pain meds cannot be good for your baby - please demand a c section - <not hiding because i cannot believe that anyone would think it would be unreasonable to have a section under these circumstances>

Revelsarethebest Sat 13-Oct-12 14:53:10

Do i ask for a C-Section on monday?

ValentineWiggins Sat 13-Oct-12 14:54:07

Yes!

Pancakeflipper Sat 13-Oct-12 14:54:46

Revel - this a not your average pregnancy.
OP - a colleague of mine developed SPD in her 1st pregnancy and was in wheelchair by the 7 month and she had a C section. For her 2nd child the SPD returned and was painful, wheelchair used again and from the start of pregnancy her consultant said the aim was to get her as near to 37 weeks as possible then C Section.

Poor you, hope you've had lots of support.

MainlyMaynie Sat 13-Oct-12 14:54:52

If you can cope with the pain for another 2 weeks, I would wait. I had bad SPD and had a fantastic natural labour in a birthing pool - but I went into labour at 39 weeks, so it's easy for me to suggest that! If you really can't cope with the pain anymore, I'd also be tempted to ask about C-section.

Pancakeflipper Sat 13-Oct-12 14:55:24

Yes.

RandomMess Sat 13-Oct-12 14:58:06

I had severe SPD with my 3rd was induced on my due date, was a long hard slog but delivered without any assistance. However I wouldn't recommend being induced if you think you can wait for another week... subsequent pregnancy SPD wasn't as bad (I knew what it was and was much more careful early on) and I waited until 42 weeks labour and birth was a breeze.

On a positive note it was so so so much better after delivery, plus I saw an osteopath before and afterwards and that helped hugely too.

youarewinning Sat 13-Oct-12 14:58:30

Another who suggests C section. There are circumstances where this is really the best option.

itwasallyellow Sat 13-Oct-12 14:59:43

I had spd although nothing like you describe and only in the last two months. I went into labour 2 days early and had a very easy birth, so I would say hang on, but it's easy for me to say. When you're in agony you'll literally do anything to stop the pain. But it could prevent other complications.

Best of luck anyway whatever you decide.

Revelsarethebest Sat 13-Oct-12 14:59:43

My midwife has just said all along that its a very common problem, and she didnt think the consultant would induce etc and she was very surprised that she agreed!

i think everyone is sick of me moaning etc (family that is)

pancake How was your friend mobility wise after the birth?

Pancakeflipper Sat 13-Oct-12 15:03:59

Revels - she was slowish in the weeks after but also had a C Section and she took it very easy. She had some following because she'd started walking odd with the SPD and was overcompensating on other muscles.

But she is running half marathons now. So she's active. She does look after herself (takes some supplement to keep joints healthy) to try to ensure there's no issues later in life.

MayTheOddsBeEverInYourFavour Sat 13-Oct-12 15:04:22

Actually I'd talk over a c-section with your consultant. I have suffered from very severe SPD and my c-sections have actually made things worse, because they have to cut through the muscles in the abdomen it means the support there is weakened and as the pelvis is unstable already it can make things worse

If I were you (and I've been there) I would seriously think about induction- I was induced at 37 weeks, but make sure you've got a good birthing team who know what positions are safe. Have you done the string test to see how far apart you can put your legs? If you feel a section would be best for you then push for that but please take the pros and cons of each into account according to how they are going to affect you (rather than what would 'normally' be best)

Pancakeflipper Sat 13-Oct-12 15:04:28

She had some PHYSIO...

zombieplanmum Sat 13-Oct-12 15:05:45

what about a compromise, in as much as, if you can bear to wait to labour naturally, have a cut off date for the end of this week then have a c-section booked, from what i read here, its the issue of the induction being problematic and that is what you are wanting to avoid, rather than a vaginal birth.

DinosaursOnASpaceship Sat 13-Oct-12 15:07:05

I know nothing about c sections or spd (fortunately) but just wanted to say I was induced with ds1 and again with ds2 at 40+1 and had very quick labours lasting three hours, didn't need anything other than gas and air, no tears or complications, no forceps or anything and was home 6 hours after each birth. It was boring waiting around all day whilst they got labour started (2 pessarys) but I just took a book with me and some music to listen too.

I don't know how spd affects a vaginal birth but just wanted to say that induction doesn't always have to be scary and complicated. G

RandomMess Sat 13-Oct-12 15:08:52

I delivered on my hands and knees, abosultely refused to lay on my back an open my legs.

A good and suitable trained osteopath can work wonders.

C-section is major surgery and not good for your core muscles which as said above could make a furture pregnancy even more painful sad

Itsaboatjack Sat 13-Oct-12 15:13:31

I was induced at 39+6 due to bp. It took a very long time, started Monday afternoon and dd was born Wednesday morning. No forceps needed though.

fuckadoodlepoopoo Sat 13-Oct-12 15:23:47

I had spd but not as bad as you, and gave birth vaginally on my back as there were complications (nothing to do with the spd)

One thing i want to mention is that i got it in my second pregnancy as well so followed the advice from my first physio not to open my legs getting out of the bath, bed, car etc and so it didn't get anywhere near as bad. I started doing that as soon as i realised i was getting it again. Made a massive difference!

GhostShip Sat 13-Oct-12 15:28:01

revels your midwife can go on about how common it is all she wants, pain effects people differently.

Speak to your consultant x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now