Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be completed pissed off and fed up with 'the internet' watching my every move

(15 Posts)
LizzieMint73 Sat 13-Oct-12 10:56:52

Grrr!

I am completely fed up with this. I've just opened up the argos webpage, because I'm looking for some plain silver loop earrings (no comment on these please, this is not the issue here!) and because I've just replied to a thread on chat about cycling, its taken me straight to the argos cycling section! As if I'd every buy a bike from Argos anyway!

If I look at anything on amazon or wherever (or especially all the dreadful clothes on the 'laugh at Per Una' threads, adverts including these items are then shown on every web page I go to there after!

And if I'm looking for something for DP for Christmas, anything I've looked at pops up on all the ads after that, so if he's using the computer he sees it as well and it spoils the surprise!

I'm sure it is something to do with cookies that I don't understand and on a related issue I also hate all those messages cluttering up every webpage with some codswallop about using cookies to 'improve my experience' and by using the website I have given them permission to do so - No I have not, I can't use their fecking website without agreeing to cookies and it seems that the only reason they are there is so they can follow me around the internet with a 'are you sure you don't want this hideous flowerry Per Una onesie????' advert.

I know I can probably overcome some of this with all the complicated settings bollocks in the browser but I'm sure they'd just overwrite everything everytime the browser was updated, which seems to happen about 15 times a day anyway.

And breathe!

lovebunny Sat 13-Oct-12 11:05:28

i hate it too. what if my minor hobby is looking for the most luxurious garden shed possible so i could contemplate putting my rabbits outside? does that mean i want home offices flashing up every time i use the internet? no! nor do i want to see clothes i have recently looked at just happening to scroll past when i'm opening my email. very annoying!

AKissIsNotAContract Sat 13-Oct-12 11:07:20

get some ad blocking software then.

YouMayLogOut Sat 13-Oct-12 11:49:34

YANBU.

You need anti-tracking software such as Do Not Track Plus

Anniegetyourgun Sat 13-Oct-12 11:53:15

Haven't they changed the law around cookies now so they need your express permission to use them?

Seems silly to keep advertising something you've been looking at before. Well, consumables maybe, but how many garden sheds does the average customer need? If you bought one last week it's surely reasonable to assume you aren't going to buy another one this week, or this decade with any luck.

redwhiteandblueeyedsusan Sat 13-Oct-12 11:57:05

yes I had noticed.

funnily enough the white company are still popping up on my connection despite me telling them they are having a laugh and I got a similar design, same material at asda for a quarter of their sale price!

noblegiraffe Sat 13-Oct-12 12:08:13

You're lucky, a friend borrowed my computer to look up something and now all my websites are full of adverts of preppy men in awful chinos.

GoSakuramachi Sat 13-Oct-12 12:56:56

You're annoyed about cookies tracking your net usage, yet you can't be arsed to read the warnings about cookies or learn more about them?

YABVU. Take more responsibility for your own usage, or close the laptop and stop moaning.

ilovetermtime Sat 13-Oct-12 13:10:43

YABU I'm afraid. GoSaku said it ^^.

I really don't get why people complain about this. There are going to be adverts anyway, what difference does it make what they're for? Just ignore them.

Merrin Sat 13-Oct-12 14:03:15

Is it better if you use Mozilla? I use Mozilla and dont get this kind of problem.

ZombTEE Sat 13-Oct-12 14:31:52

What GoSakura said.

Learn how the internet works. Learn how to get it to do what you want it to do. It's not hard.

ratspeaker Sat 13-Oct-12 15:42:56

Clearing your cookies often prevents this
Its the cookies that sites add on that track your browsing
They now obliged to say they are using cookies

To clear cookies

In Mozilla firefox click on tools>clear recent history> tick the check boxes to include cache and cookies

In internet explorer >tools>internet options>general> tick delete history

In chrome click on the three bars icon> history> click on clear all browsing data> check the boxes marked cache and cookies

Talyra Sat 13-Oct-12 15:50:44

With both Firefox and Chrome (don't know about IE) there are extensions you can add called things like Ad Block. They are free, just google and instal. Then no more ads at all! It's great.

Talyra Sat 13-Oct-12 15:51:35

There's one for IE too! Here: simple-adblock.com/

MousyMouse Sat 13-Oct-12 15:56:51

set up your internet browser so cookies are deleted automatically every time you close it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now