Talk

Advanced search

to hope that one of you will be able to identify...

(19 Posts)
SE13Mummy Fri 12-Oct-12 22:11:35

...an influential, black female who has been/is involved in the world of chocolate production/confectionary?

Bit of background - I'm a primary school teacher at a school that uses the International Primary Curriculum. The current topic for my year group is 'chocolate'. As it's Black History Month we've been asked to identify an influential black female as a focus for this month. If possible, I'd like to link this learning to our learning about chocolate but I've not been able to find anyone who meets my criteria.

I'd like to avoid studying people that the children will have already looked at i.e. Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, Mary Seacole, Maya Angelou but am having no luck searching for a chocolatier .

Any suggestions? Please?

ImagineJL Fri 12-Oct-12 22:16:10

Did I imagine it, or was there some kind of Naomi Campbell Cadbury scandal?

sleepyhead Fri 12-Oct-12 22:22:45

Lorraine Pascale?

UltraBOF Fri 12-Oct-12 22:26:18

Is it just me, or is this going to end up seeming a bit racist? Maybe it's the Naomi Campbell reference that has pinged my memory about her bringing a court case about being described as chocolate. I don't recall the details, but I'm wondering about the associations you could be setting up.

CoolaSchmoola Fri 12-Oct-12 22:33:16

Oprah was involved in eating a lot of it! grin

drivingmisspotty Fri 12-Oct-12 22:35:10

You may find some stories on the fairtrade foundation website of African women who are now getting fair payment for their cocoa and investment in their communities: www.fairtrade.org.uk/resources/default.aspx Not celebs but quite possibly heroes.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 12-Oct-12 22:38:25

Hotel Chocolat talk about "engaged ethics", perhaps they have someone suitable involved?

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 12-Oct-12 22:39:07

there an ex model who is now a chief, not quite a chocletier but does use choc rather a lot cant remember her name on tip of my toungue is louise or lucy something starting with l

Spatsky Fri 12-Oct-12 22:43:54

Sock it's Lorraine pascale, mentioned uptnread

BigWitchLegsInWailyTights Fri 12-Oct-12 22:44:37

[[http://theconsciencecollective.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/film-nothing-like-chocolate.html Nelice Mott] runs her own organic chocolate farm in Granada and there's been a film too.

She seems amazing. A mother and a business woman...and in the world of chocolate.

BigWitchLegsInWailyTights Fri 12-Oct-12 22:44:56

PROPER link

GhostShip Fri 12-Oct-12 22:46:56

I'm usually the one person who goes mad when people see racism and the like in EVERYTHING, but this seems a bit hmm even to me.

SE13Mummy Fri 12-Oct-12 22:51:24

Lorraine Pascale is a great suggestion - thank you!

The class have already been learning about chocolate and there haven't been any incidences of 'chocolate' being used in an offensive way to describe skin colour so I'm fairly confident that learning about a black female who happens to have some link with that topic won't seem racist to them.

Also, the school has a mixed intake e.g. my class is made up of children from Ghana, Jamaica, Brazil, Columbia, Thailand, Somalia, Algeria, Turkey, Spain, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Italy, Dominican Republic, Morocco, Mauritius plus 4 who describe themselves as being English and one who says he is Team GB-ish. Like most schools, racism isn't tolerated and the children know it - they tease each other about all sorts but it's much more likely to be about putting a sweatshirt on back-to-front after PE than it is about skin colour.

shineonucrazydiamond Sat 13-Oct-12 13:37:20

Bloody hell - you're very advanced for a primary school in your topics! Are we talking year 6 children here though?

And yes, agree with bof... the connotations my mind made when I read your OP were exactly as she said.

Hullygully Sat 13-Oct-12 18:20:06

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

etc

GhostShip Sat 13-Oct-12 18:26:53

^

grin

allthegoodnamesweretaken Sat 13-Oct-12 18:35:53

I think it's national chocolate week or something. So that's probably why the topic is chocolate.
I don't think it seems racist to be looking at influential black people involved in chocolate production while black history month and chocolate week are coinciding, it would be a bit hmm to not do it if you have been doing something similar every other week tbh.

SE13Mummy Sat 13-Oct-12 19:32:30

milepost 7-9 then click on chocolate - it's nothing to do with national chocolate week, the Y3/4s do it every year.

youarewinning Sat 13-Oct-12 19:38:45

Not strange to me. My friends do are very child led in their curriculum and give the pupils a choice in their topic. My friends year 2 class voted for choclate as a topic! They are doing food and she included Handas surprise to bring in some diversity.

I didn't even relate choclate with black skin when I read the OP tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now