Talk

Advanced search

Fess up. Who's had an occasional cigarette while breast feeding?

(67 Posts)
OnlyWantsOne Fri 12-Oct-12 19:11:05

Not actually baby - attached feeding, but you know...

Discussed this earlier & did some research about nicotine etc in milk .... But I only know one person that did it , but lots who would go out and drink alcohol and still feed etc

Me. I still smoked while BFing DD - I've since given up though.

oldqueenie Fri 12-Oct-12 19:13:53

yuk, yuk and triple yuk.

SirBoobAlot Fri 12-Oct-12 19:16:29

Obviously its not preferable - but more because you shouldn't be smoking with a small baby, rather than just the breastfeeding.

In my peer supporter training it was stated that breastfeeding and smoking is still preferable to formula feeding, though.

GoSakuramachi Fri 12-Oct-12 19:18:02

I did now and again. Not often, but occasionally.

I drank too.

And I don't give a shiny bollocks what anyone thinks of that!

hmm

Some people smoke. Some of them <shock horror> are mothers. Some of them will breastfeed - if you smoke and have a baby, it is STILL better for them to be BF than FF.

Bigwheel Fri 12-Oct-12 19:18:33

I used to have the occasional smoke (outside) whilst bfing ds. Not ideal I admit but I was always told that smoking and breastfeeding is still better than smoking and formula feeding for the baby.

whizmum Fri 12-Oct-12 19:21:37

when I was a young thing, my next door neighbour used to babysit. She was pregnant, used to smoke when her husband was at work. Used to get through half a bottle of Emva Cream sherry whilst with us. I have no reason to believe she gave it up when she was breastfeeding.

All her children were fine, and she is now a grandmother, who goes round in black leather.

kinkyfuckery Fri 12-Oct-12 19:22:22

I smoked through most of my pregnancy and whilst breastfeeding DC1. I stopped in early pregnancy with DC2 and didn't smoke again for 2 1/2 years. I'd like to think I'd stop again if I fell pregnant again (not on the cards as far as I'm concerned)

StripyShoes Fri 12-Oct-12 19:22:40

The kellymom site actually advises bf if you smoke as it lowers other risks, iirc?

kinkyfuckery Fri 12-Oct-12 19:26:07

That's interesting what a couple of people have said.

Is being a smoking breastfeeder (assuming not smoking directly around baby) better for your baby than being a non-smoking formula feeder? Are there statistics on that?

PropertyNightmare Fri 12-Oct-12 19:30:18

MIL did this when dh was a baby. Dh is upset about it to this day. She would smoke in the house with him and in the car. He had bad asthma as a child too. Even his was not enough to make MIL stop smoking.

OnlyWantsOne Fri 12-Oct-12 19:30:34

I ask because I feel very very stressed and haven't smoked since march 2010

But tonight I'm off to have a few child free hours and plan on maybe smoking... Not a regular thing. But I would really like to chill out just once!!

PropertyNightmare Fri 12-Oct-12 19:36:18

Onlywantsone - don't do it! You have done so, so well to quit for so long. Lots of people don't have the will power to do as good a job of kicking it as you.

anonacfr Fri 12-Oct-12 19:36:50

I would. If it's a one off why not? You can always have a shower brush your teeth etc when you get home and try to BF as late as possible.

OHforDUCKScake Fri 12-Oct-12 19:38:46

Yes I did. Not very much, but I did. I dont this time round but did with my first.

OnlyWantsOne Fri 12-Oct-12 19:39:18

property I'm not talking about passive smoking.

Children & cigarettes ENTIRELY seperately.

I'm talking about smoking whilst being a lactating mother.

reddaisy Fri 12-Oct-12 19:39:21

OnlyWantsOne - Don't do it! Get drunk instead!

PropertyNightmare Fri 12-Oct-12 19:39:28

Most of my mates have seen a 'one off' give way to a gradual slide back into it. Op has done amazingly well to quit for so long. I would buy a fuck off big bar of choc instead grin

PropertyNightmare Fri 12-Oct-12 19:40:26

Reddaisy is right - wine and choc!

Figgygal Fri 12-Oct-12 19:40:48

Hold r some people actually saying that smoking around your child is ok if u bf? Of course as long as u don't give them that evil formula stuff as well it's fine???!

OHforDUCKScake Fri 12-Oct-12 19:40:52

If its after that long of not smoking it wont chill you out, it will make you feel dizzy and sick, and probably make you cough.

One ALWAYS leads to more. ALWAYS.

Its a slippery slope, dont do it.

fuckadoodlepoopoo Fri 12-Oct-12 19:42:19

So are some people really saying that the carcinogenics in cigarettes are better than formula?

OnlyWantsOne Fri 12-Oct-12 19:49:00

FGS I knew this would turn into a bloody formula ranting thread.

I will just have one. I don't want to be a smoker again. I'm just wondering how many people do smoke whilst being a lactating mother?

Apparently your milk is clear of nicotine after 3 hours ...

And no. No one is saying that your child if breast fed, is fine to inhale passive smoke. Get. A. Grip.

storminabuttercup Fri 12-Oct-12 19:52:28

I smoked and FF. (but not whilst pregnant)

Bad mummy.

This will turn into a FF v BF debate....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now