Talk

Advanced search

To play heavy metal to my baby?

(66 Posts)
KenLeeeeeee Fri 12-Oct-12 17:39:38

It makes him sleep! White noise, lullabies, soothing 'ssshh' noises don't work - even feeding him doesn't make him sleep. But pop a bit of Machine Head or Fear Factory on and he dozes off within moments.

I've stopped telling people IRL about this as I've had a few too many catsbum mouth responses. Am I going to break the baby with heavy metal?

glamourousgranny42 Fri 12-Oct-12 17:42:12

Go for it if it works for you. I love a bit o metal but it doesn't send me to sleep. Lol x

Glittertwins Fri 12-Oct-12 17:42:13

In that case we already have....our two love watching Iron Maiden and have been brought up on a diet of Guns n Roses, White Zombie, Faster Pussycat, LA Guns, Bon Jovi and Mötley Crüe. I have applied some censorship on a few songs now so they don't repeat them now!

RagamuffinAndFidget Fri 12-Oct-12 17:42:29

Ahh fuck 'em. The catsbum people, obviously. DH is a total metal-head and both of our boys love his music. DS1 tells me to turn my music off (I just like everyday pop stuff) and put DH's on confused

You're not going to break him. You might, however, regret it if he gets a taste for it and plays it at full volume in his teens.

KenLeeeeeee Fri 12-Oct-12 17:43:34

Haha, Glittertwins - I did have a horrifying moment the other day doing housework with the iPod on shuffle, older kids playing in earshot and having to launch myself at it quickly to turn off Steel Panther! blush

NatashaBee Fri 12-Oct-12 17:44:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsKeithRichards Fri 12-Oct-12 17:46:14

You're so edgy and cool and Ker-azy!

WMittens Fri 12-Oct-12 17:51:29

When you say white noise doesn't work, are you playing them Whitehouse or 2nd Gen?

Glittertwins Fri 12-Oct-12 17:52:02

Steel Panther?? Nice one!

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Fri 12-Oct-12 17:53:16

It should be law IMO. Not exactly metal but my nearly 2 year old loves Muse, and sings along to it. But has listened to Metallica, Maiden etc from birth.

ZiggyPlayedGuitar Fri 12-Oct-12 17:53:24

Totally your choice! It's not something I listen to personally but would have no judgements of someone else doing it. How else would you get to listen to your music anyway?

Glittertwins Fri 12-Oct-12 17:53:29

We've just been requested to put Iron Maiden on!

GingerPCatt Fri 12-Oct-12 17:53:54

My bil gave us a couple of lullaby CDs of nirvana and acdc. I can't remember the name but they are the songs but without words and in a more soothing tone.

KenLeeeeeee Fri 12-Oct-12 17:56:15

Very relieved to know I'm not alone in this slightly unorthodox approach to baby soothing!

StaceeJaxx Fri 12-Oct-12 17:56:27

The only thing that would get dd1 asleep as a baby was the Buffy theme tune by Nerfherder. I used to get the cats bums mouth when I told people too. For dd2 it was Guns N Roses.

Rockchick1984 Fri 12-Oct-12 19:04:54

First song DS ever did the bouncing-bum baby dance to was Immigrant Song <<proud mum face>>

He also loves Steel Panther, but at 18 months old he's not picking up on the words yet, so I'm happy for him to listen to it and hope he never learns the shocker gesture grin

Tailtwister Fri 12-Oct-12 19:09:20

YANBU! If he likes it why not?

HairyToothbrush Fri 12-Oct-12 19:11:28

YANBU
13mo dd loves five finger death punch, inflames and lamb of god. She hates her car seat, but will fall asleep in minutes if we put one of these on. She loves dancing to them too. Dp is trying to teach her to head bang wink

featherbag Fri 12-Oct-12 19:12:05

My DS used to go crazy in utero for Bodycount! Now gets a diet of Rammstein, GnR, Pendulum, Faith no More etc and loves it - we do censor it though, he's 1 and apparently they start picking up words from 9mo? Dunno, not taking any chances though, can do without the catsbummouths if he were to start singing 'Pussy' in Sainsbury's.

bureni Fri 12-Oct-12 19:14:09

How do you turn a playpen into a mosh pit? grin

CarpeJugulum Fri 12-Oct-12 19:14:33

DS loves the Buffy album; possibly due to me watching the boxset when he was newborn and I was doing the night feeds blush

Worryingly, he does seem to have a penchant for One Direction though hmm as he giggles and claps when they appear on the radio. I'm moving now more to the iPod and "good" music...

elfycat Fri 12-Oct-12 19:15:31

Maybe balance it with a bit of baby-mozart during non-nap times... music offsetting?

DD1 listened to HM in the car, so did DD2 as a baby. They always fell asleep so I guess it worked. I also played a lot of Classic FM at the movies types at other times.

Now DD1 likes all kinds of music. DD2 is scary... the other day the 21mnth old managed to find Vengaboys 'Ibiza' on my IPod (no idea why it was there, part of a compilation I guess), had turned the volume up and was dancing around. Time to channel her back to HM (and classical)!

Glittertwins Fri 12-Oct-12 19:32:34

At least with Rammstein, it's all in German. Now I will be impressed with our two managing Feuer Frei!

OHforDUCKScake Fri 12-Oct-12 19:35:11

I used to play Ragga or Matisyahu to my first really loudly, in a sling and dance in the kitchen. He loved it.

And System of a Down. But hello, who wouldnt love SOAD?

OP YANBU. Turn it up.

YouMayLogOut Fri 12-Oct-12 19:36:31

Have you tried any other types of music somewhere along the line between lullabies and metal?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now