Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit hmmmm about leaving my DSD on her own at Thorpe Park

(22 Posts)
taxiforme Fri 12-Oct-12 17:18:18

My DH is taking his 14 yo DSD and her two friends to Thorpe Park on a Saturday. They are 14/15. He is thinking of going off on his own then to spend the day at his brother's (about 10 miles away). Leaving them on their own. I can't go as I am working.

Not sure what to think, he has asked my advice. I have told him to speak to the parents of the other girls. I am not sure to be honest. I have been once with a friend and was shocked (a bit) at the "gangs" of streetwise London girls there. My best mate (who is Captain Sensible) will not let her kids go.

The girls are all from the sticks and not in the slightest bit street, they are from a village and have had a bit of a sheltered life,TBH. IMHO.

Anyone had any experience? Views?

NatashaBee Fri 12-Oct-12 17:25:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

greenplastictrees Fri 12-Oct-12 17:25:51

At 16 they could move out of home, get married and hav sex. I'm sure they'll be fine at 14/15 at Thorpe park. I used to go when I was that age and we had great fun. Depending on whether the other girls have done similar before you may want to check with the other parents but otherwise I'd say go for it.

TantrumsAndBalloons Fri 12-Oct-12 17:26:46

What do you think the "gangs of streetwise London girls" are going to do to your DSD in the middle of Thorpe park?

Don't you think they will be too busy enjoying themselves rather than prowling about looking for non streetwise people to attack?

They don't need to be 'street' they are in Thorpe park not Camden! Lol

From the age of 12/13 my parents left us there at opening and picked us up at closing. It was great.

usualsuspect3 Fri 12-Oct-12 17:30:24

I think you need to cut the apron strings TBH.

julieann42 Fri 12-Oct-12 17:33:27

I left mine at similar ages, infact probably a bit younger! There are plenty of staff around if they run into problems.

webwiz Fri 12-Oct-12 17:34:33

I thought you were going to be talking about a 10 year old - mine have all been with friends and survived despite being very unstreet smile

TheSkiingGardener Fri 12-Oct-12 17:35:44

I went to places like that when I was about 13+. Took the train with fire DS and came back later. At 14/15 they are close to being able to leave home, time to give them some independence!

lisaro Fri 12-Oct-12 17:38:09

Oh they'll be fine, you have seen that episode of the inbetweeners, haven't you? grin

KenLeeeeeee Fri 12-Oct-12 17:42:12

I'm pretty sure we had a Year 10 trip to Alton Towers when I was at school, where we went off in our own groups. OOH! And actually I remember a trip the year before that to Eurodisney where the teachers didn't follow us round in little packs.

taxiforme Fri 12-Oct-12 17:52:17

I agree with all of you, despite what I said. I think she is old enough. Thanks for the advice. Why it's anything to do with me, really..!!? But I know that wise mumsnetters would have had some xperience.

Thing is, she is not my daughter, she is my DSD and I AM just being a bit shock I know. I guess I think of her as much younger, she is nearly 15 and hasnt started her periods yet.. I am being ultra careful as her mum has only just allowed her to go to town on the bus with her friends. Christ I had had my face snogged off many a time by a bloke off the waltzers by that age.

Its down to the other parents too. My DH thinks they will be cool. He would rather eat his own hair than spend a day at TP, in the rain, at half term.

Cozy9 Fri 12-Oct-12 17:59:51

The last time I went to TP I could smell weed everywhere. I'm sure your kids will be fine though if they are sensible.

detectivebeaver Fri 12-Oct-12 18:23:40

My school used to do a trip to alton towers where we were allowed to go round on our own. The first time i went i was 12 and i was fine.

Fakebook Fri 12-Oct-12 18:24:22

I used to go on school trips when I was that age to theme parks. We were always left to roam on our own and meet back at the coach in the evening.

hlipop Fri 12-Oct-12 18:30:00

with school I went to Alton towers every year starting at year 7 we had to stay in groups of at least three and the teacher gave us a phone number to ring if we needed it. don't think anyone ever used it.we just enjoyed our day and got back to the meeting point at set time

snuffaluffagus Fri 12-Oct-12 18:33:50

Yes there are big groups of teenagers there.. and I've seen a couple of fights etc, but those were broken up by security fairly sharpish and I think on both occasions the kids already knew each other by the looks of it. I think your girls would be perfectly safe, there are lots of families about. I think I went to Chessington when I was about 14 without any adults.

BonAppetit Fri 12-Oct-12 18:34:07

Go for it - they will be fine. Your DH will have mobile and be 10 miles away and the staff there are excellent.

Mrsjay Fri 12-Oct-12 18:37:19

MY dd went to Alton towers last year with the school they were allowed to go round on their own she is 14 let them go they wont want dad trailing around and they will have mobiles on them ,

taxiforme Fri 12-Oct-12 18:37:46

Thanks so much bon and snuff and all of you.
Job done!

OldCatLady Fri 12-Oct-12 18:53:48

She'll be fine! I used to go from age 11 with friends, never had any issues. We used to go on school trips to Thorpe park in secondary school and they also let us roam free from 11 smile

ninjawomble Fri 12-Oct-12 21:20:57

I'm Mrs Helicopter Parent but even I would be ok with this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now