Talk

Advanced search

to stop my 6 year old child doing forward rolls at home?

(53 Posts)
DiamondDoris Fri 12-Oct-12 16:23:09

My DS is a petit 6 year old, with asd traits and sensory issues. I bought a pilates ball for him to roll on but he has taken to rolling off it quickly and then trying to do a forward roll when he hits the floor. I have told him not to do it here, he must only do it under supervision at school. Am I just being overprotective?

WorraLiberty Fri 12-Oct-12 16:25:24

What's your reasoning?

I spent most of my childhood doing forward rolls/backward rolls/rolling around the house in general.

It hasn't done me any harm

<< Twitch >> grin

DesperatelySeekingPomBears Fri 12-Oct-12 16:25:39

YABU, a few bangs and knocks from stuff like that are to be expected in childhood surely? I had an annual a&e visit every summer as a result of doing similar things, it became a family tradition!

Shakirasma Fri 12-Oct-12 16:26:46

Why can't he do it under your supervision at home?

Not only precious, lazy too?

ClippedPhoenix Fri 12-Oct-12 16:26:53

Overprotective OP.

WitchesTitWhistles Fri 12-Oct-12 16:27:14

Sounds like great fun to me. He might be getting to grips with some sensory issues by using his body physically. I'd be encouraging it.

amistillsexy Fri 12-Oct-12 16:27:17

Yes.

If he hurts himself he'll stop.

If he doesn't hurt himself he'll improve his balance, and improve the neuro-thingy connections in his brain from all the stimulation, fun and rolling around upside down. <<I'm right good at science and stuff, me! grin>>

DiamondDoris Fri 12-Oct-12 16:27:41

My reasoning might just be paranoia, I'm worried about his neck snapping. It made me wince when I watched him.

LemonEmmaP Fri 12-Oct-12 16:28:10

Can you teach him how to do it safely? I know my aunt (retired PE teacher) used to say that poorly executed forward rolls could cause neck problems. She used to encourage my DS to do them with his chin tucked onto his chest. I just try to reinforce that with mine.

Inneedofbrandy Fri 12-Oct-12 16:28:31

Really hmm it's a roly poly ffs

BonaDea Fri 12-Oct-12 16:28:41

YABU. Perhaps it might help his excess energy issues if you let him get it out physically and in safety at home.

amistillsexy Fri 12-Oct-12 16:28:59

Unlikely that his neck will snap, I'd have thought.

DiamondDoris Fri 12-Oct-12 16:30:29

Okay, I am being precious. I'll try to assist him in doing it, but not sure flying off the pilates ball is the way forward. I'm sure it would help with his sensory issues. I'll give it a go.

ClippedPhoenix Fri 12-Oct-12 16:31:04

I know what you mean though OP, I wince a lot, I'm always seeing accidents waiting to happen where kids are concerned but you can't wrap them up in cotton wool bubblewrap is better grin

TapirBackRider Fri 12-Oct-12 16:31:22

Children the world over have been doing forward rolls & roly polys (polies? sp) for years - the incidents of neck snapping are very very small.

He obviously needs the physical exercise that it provides....

shanks313 Fri 12-Oct-12 16:34:01

My 5 year old DD has been doing forward rolls at home since she was 3. She's now advanced to cartwheels,head stands and hand stands.
Her favourite thing is to practice her gymnastics and won't listen when we tell her to stop.

Fakebook Fri 12-Oct-12 16:35:56

Oh dear me. You're not my brother are you? He stopped me from letting his dd roll on the floor when I was looking after her incase she snapped her neck. I was really scolded by him for letting her do them. Maybe it was a case of pfb or just weirdness, I'll never know!

Children have done rolie polies forever. Nothing will happen to them unless they have really brittle bones or something. Stop being overprotective!

Jojoba1986 Fri 12-Oct-12 16:36:30

If you're concerned maybe you could get him an exercise mat to roll on to as a bit of padding? Might make you feel he's a bit more protected! smile

lolaflores Fri 12-Oct-12 16:37:11

If you make yours stop, will you come round and make my dd give up handstands, bouncing off furniture and karate chopping her way through the house. The teachers have told her off at school, but she will hear nothing of it. when I think of myself hanging off the stairs bannister and letting myself drop. sledging down the stairs on a tea tray with a small cushion at the bottom...
<cold sweat>

quoteunquote Fri 12-Oct-12 16:40:37

OP, sign your child up to judo, and they will get lots of praise for doing forward rolls,and lots of safety advice.

eurowitch Fri 12-Oct-12 16:42:00

I think you are being hugely over protective. All kids do forward rolls. I've never heard of a related injury.

In fact, I did one myself in the summer when watching the Olympics to see if I still could. My 36 year old joints are a lot less flexible than your 6 year old's! I survived. grin

overmydeadbody Fri 12-Oct-12 16:43:06

YABU

Just let the poor boy have fun. Nothing wrong with doiung a rolly polly off a pilates ball. Sounds like great fun!

His neck won't snap!

YABU.....my DS (10) spends most of his life with his arse in the head, head between his legs. He says it's comfy....think I am just jealous grin

Arse in the air......the air!!!

nickeldaisical Fri 12-Oct-12 16:46:50

YABU

we used to do forward rolls, backward rolls, handstands etc in our house.

my mum used to join in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now