Talk

Advanced search

to think this is a bit odd?

(18 Posts)
JugsMcGee Fri 12-Oct-12 14:46:13

My closest friend's DS will be nearly 6 months old at Christmas. I asked her beforehand what I could get her DD and DS but she didn't have anything specific that she needed for them, so I said could I get her DS some stacking cups? She thought it was a good idea so I went ahead and bought some a few weeks ago and told her I had done so.

Last week we went shopping together to buy some Christmas present for our own DC. She picked up some stacking cups and said "I know you've already bought him some but I'm going to get him these anyway!" I suspect she will end up giving them to him before Christmas, which renders my present a bit useless. It's too late to take the ones I bought back. I should have said something at the time really. WIBU to ask her what I should do with the cups? I'm going to have to find another present now which will be difficult as she bought half the shop

This sounds really trivial grin

Floggingmolly Fri 12-Oct-12 14:48:42

Odd and rude hmm
I'd be tempted to get a refund on yours and give her nothing. It's such a bizarre thing to do!

WitchesTitWhistles Fri 12-Oct-12 14:51:02

It does sound a bit inconsiderate but I kind of know where she's coming from.. She probably reckons he's ready for stacking cups now and Christmas is still a few months away, babies develop quickly.

Hopefully by Christmas all his stacking cups will be lost or eaten and ten yours will be much appreciated. There's no harm in having lots of stacking cups anyway... Bigger towers!

FredFredGeorge Fri 12-Oct-12 14:53:08

The kid is 6 months - he will not register presents or who they're from or anything else. Get over it.

JugsMcGee Fri 12-Oct-12 15:01:31

I get that they change very quickly, I have one! He can't even hold his own head up right now but yes I suppose he might want some to play with before then. Sadly hers are a different shape so he'll just have to have 2 separate small towers! That is a good point about them ending up lost by then anyway.

Thanks Fred, I'm not crying into my cornflakes or anything so I think I'll be ok.

Floggingmolly Fri 12-Oct-12 21:12:59

He's four months old. He is not ready for stacking cups!

WitchesTitWhistles Fri 12-Oct-12 21:40:30

But maybe his mummy thinks he is??

WelshMaenad Fri 12-Oct-12 21:41:59

I liked to have 2 sets anyway, one dry and one for the bath.

Spatsky Fri 12-Oct-12 21:45:57

We had a bath set and a dry set too so your set might not be rendered useless.

Weird to buy that set without further comments such as "yours can be used in the bath" or "two sets are probably best" or something acknowledging your gift is still bery welcome though.

CoolaSchmoola Fri 12-Oct-12 22:49:40

My DD got stacking cups for her first birthday and she LOVES them. She pretends to drink out of them, puts her people in them, pretends they are phones, puts them in her 'handbag' and carts them about etc etc etc. The only thing she doesn't do with them is stack them lol!

At 4 months she would not have been interested in them at all. I think your friend is being a little lot odd.

Noqontrol Fri 12-Oct-12 22:59:48

Don't find another present, just give the cups. As you had planned.

tescocarrierbagexplosion Sat 13-Oct-12 00:37:24

Just give the stacking cups anyway! As you said they are different shapes, my little boy would happily play with two different sets.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 13-Oct-12 00:43:18

In terms of common courtesy, it is very odd of her to get her the same thing as you got the child for christmas.

Maybe she does just think two sets are fine.

How many stacking cups does one child really need????

thursday Sat 13-Oct-12 01:27:59

odd to buy them so blatantly in front of you. i dont lose sleep over the weirdness of folk and needing immediate stacking cups, but i would be confused by the explicit demonstration that my gift was no longer needed. but, her baby is 4 months. i was mad as a box of frogs at that point, both times so i'd let it go.

CaliforniaLeaving Sat 13-Oct-12 04:45:25

Give them anyway. My kids had two sets, like the others one in the bath and one set in the toy box.

YouSmegHead Sat 13-Oct-12 05:04:32

Defo give them anyway

musicalendorphins Sat 13-Oct-12 08:29:56

Give them to him anyways. He can have a set for the bath and a set for not in the bath! Or one set for a sandbox or beach in summer, one for inside.

YouMayLogOut Sat 13-Oct-12 11:54:58

Give them anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now