Talk

Advanced search

to wonder wtf AQA and my DDs school are playing at? (rant alert)

(24 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Fri 12-Oct-12 14:43:02

has anyone else got this predicament? im very very angry right now.

DD is 15 and in year 11.
In year 10, she took several GCSEs, including all the science GCSEs. She got top Cs in them all, she was working at an E a year ago, her improvement has been epic and the work she put in was superhuman, she revised, revised and revised for the exams and was ecstatic with her Cs for all of them, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

so why the actual fuck is she having to resit one i asked?

so i rang the school to ask this, and ask what happens if she then gets a D on the resit.....

answer
AQA "misinformed" the school, something to do with percentages claimed during the year, blah blah blah < head of science felt i was clearly too thick to have it all explained properly>.....school say its completely the exam boards fault, theyve complained etc but upshot is that she has to resit her weakest subject.

im so so pissed off, it makes the hard work mean nothing, it means that if she then gets a lower grade that lower grade stands....

ive complained and got no where. Head of Science says he has complained, and many other schools are in the same predicament due to the exam board giving them "duff information"

why is no one held accountable for this "duff information" and why does my child and many others have to suffer for it?

whats the point of me telling DD to work hard, revise, if the grade she got is simply pulled from under her in this way?

anongirl09 Fri 12-Oct-12 14:45:09

Normally the highest grade is always taken? If she just doesn't sit the exam (due to 'illness' or something) then they will have to accept her previous grade.

chocolateshoes Fri 12-Oct-12 14:47:39

Anon is right - usually the highest grade stands....are you sure that in this case the lowest grade stands? I must admit it all sounds very odd and although I suspect we use Edexcel I haven't heard anything like this going on in science in our school

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 12-Oct-12 14:47:49

nope. not in this case - ive spoken to head of science and double double checked - not the highest grade - if she now gets a D the D stands. That last exam in now scrapped.

scrapped.

someone, somewhere, has really really ballsed up. i cant get to the bottom of who.

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 12-Oct-12 14:49:52

he weakest mark is scrapped. she got top marks in all three exams. so theyve just picked one and scrapped it.

her exam is scrapped, the whole year group have had to scrap one result

she now has to re do that exam as if she had never sat it.

something to do with coursework and when they can claim the exam in the same year as something else.....

Tuttutitlookslikerain Fri 12-Oct-12 14:52:58

Wouldn't it have been modules she sat, so with course work and the modules she will have to sit in Yr 11, she might have got a different grade(higher or lower) any way.

mummytime Fri 12-Oct-12 15:01:35

This is a weird situation which only exist for one group taking the exams. Previous groups could resit what they wanted, groups after have to do all their exams in one go.
For this group only, a percentage of the marks (I think it is 60% but I can't remember for sure) has to be taken at the time the students "certificate". So students may be forced to resit portions they did "okay" on, just to get this required percentage.
Most schools I know were working with this in mind, but a certain pattern of passes might mean someone has to resit.

It is totally confusing, but is the exam system, for one year only.

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 12-Oct-12 15:01:54

no. it was set. im not making this shit up....ive just got off the phone with her head of science who struggled to coherently explain what he has referred to as
"AQAs duff information"

he also said "no mere mortal" would be able to change it. im very pissed off. when DD tried to tell me i didnt believe her so i rang the school - head of science just rang me back.

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 12-Oct-12 15:02:52

mummytime - why? is this even legal?is it not discriminating against this year group then?

Tuttutitlookslikerain Fri 12-Oct-12 15:03:41

I've just googled, because I have a DS who got A*&As in his science exams last summer, and I wanted to know if the potential is there for this to happen to him.

I can't find anything on the Internet about it. I reckon your DDs school has fucked up and if I were you I would be in there on Monday morning talking to the HT about it!

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 12-Oct-12 15:05:12

nope - its not just this school. anyone doing triple science is not affected. the others are.

read mummytimes post above - she obviously knows what im talking about.

im wondering if there is a legal challenge to this though....im so pissed off about it.

Tuttutitlookslikerain Fri 12-Oct-12 15:09:05

Ah, DS2 is doing seperate sciences.

But surely this wasn't just dropped on the schools? Surely someone, somewhere would have known about this? And is it just AQA, or is it every exam board?

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 12-Oct-12 15:10:37

just AQA apparently.

i have reposted this in Education - im hoping someone somewhere will know what im on about and advise.

im really so angry.

she worked so so hard, and its for nothing.

Tuttutitlookslikerain Fri 12-Oct-12 15:13:02

That's not fair!shock

I'm not surprised you are angry and upset! I hope she manages to hold on to her grades.

MerylStrop Fri 12-Oct-12 15:14:09

Don't blame you for being furious

IMO all parents should refuse to allow their kids to resit

Then perhaps someone somewhere would be motivated to sort this ridiculous situation out

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 12-Oct-12 15:18:07

theyve got us over a barrel.

who gave this "duff information" on behalf of AQA? and why are their heads not on a plate?

angry angry angry

mummytime Fri 12-Oct-12 16:05:42

It's part of the last government and this one deciding to make exams "harder".
First they got ride of coursework to be replaced by ISAs and completed in class coursework.
Then as that didn't make them hard enough, they came up with this x% has to be done at the end (and you have to declare you are certifying before you get the results).
Then we got a new government and Gove decided all exams had to be terminal.

Which actually means the syllabuses have been changing pretty much continually over the last few years.

DoIDare Fri 12-Oct-12 16:09:13

Did she cash in and certificate?

RubyFakeNails Fri 12-Oct-12 16:16:08

I think this might be happening at DS's school as he was saying something about being annoyed he has to re-sit some science exams this year.

I was under the impression it was all thanks to Michael Gove's education reforms and not something that could be changed, I'm also not sure how true it is to say 'duff information from AQA' is to blame, I think that is just the school trying to drive home its not their fault, blame culture if you will.

I haven't really looked into the issue but while its ridiculous I think its just the way it has worked out for this year group.

DoverBeach Fri 12-Oct-12 16:24:54

I'm not surprised you are furious, I would be too.

edam Fri 12-Oct-12 16:26:19

I do feel for your dd, it's a real smack in the teeth. Agree, as far as I know from reading the papers it's Gove who is to blame. Really unfair to change the system for people who have already sat the exams, ffs. Any changes should be phased in so they aren't unfair to one particular cohort.

How would Gove like it if we just arbitrarily cancelled the results of the last election and made him stand again?

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 12-Oct-12 17:02:32

im just gutted for DD
its so unfair.

edam Fri 12-Oct-12 17:05:53

quite. I suppose you - or she - could write to your MP and ask him or her to take it up with Gove.

balia Fri 12-Oct-12 17:13:05

With the current turmoil in the exam system what is surprising is that more mistakes aren't made. It is so complex it is utterly boggling - and yes, I have had 'duff info' from AQA over the phone, luckily I checked and rechecked. For some exams you have to submit a certain percentage of the units in the year you 'certificate'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now