Talk

Advanced search

To think I have become easily pleased since havin Ds, how about you?

(17 Posts)
CombineBananaFister Fri 12-Oct-12 14:02:51

Today is my birthday. I am very happy so thought I'd do my first AIBU but make it a non-whingey one. It has been amaaazing grin The criteria for it's amazingness is as follows:

It has fallen on day OFF work but Ds' day IN pre-school
I had a shower without anyone needing to use the loo or interuption for random family emegency
I went to Sainsburys cafe-there was no queue, the lady was polite and my breakfast arrived quickly
I did not have to share my breakfast with ANY little grabby hands or someone who didn't want one but takes best bit of bacon because 'mine looks sooo nice'
I read the paper in peace with no embarassing histronics or anyone needing to go to the loo.
It rained on the way home but i had my anorak in my bag and was wearing waterproof shoes blush

I came home warm, dry, full and calm. I am, I feel disproportionately (is that a word?) happy for these events but don't care. Am interested in knowing if your pleasures/happiness have changed since having Dcs?

quirrelquarrel Fri 12-Oct-12 14:42:42

Aww OP how lovely smile we all deserves days like this. apart from the bacon bit. <veggie frown>

I have no DCs! (had to try that three times as kept writing CDs!) am also on ADs for a reason, but am feeling the fog lift ever so slightly for the first time in three years, so I'm getting your feeling of enjoying the little things back, a tiny bit.

julieann42 Fri 12-Oct-12 15:00:16

I agree that since having children the strangest things can suddenly seem so good! A chat on the phone without interruption, the toilet without someone knocking on the door! For me the greatest pleasure is having a day off when hubby is at work and children are at school and college and I can have the house to myself! The sound of silence....bliss. No tv noise, no iPods and no sounds of gunfire from play station....

CreamOfTomatoSoup Fri 12-Oct-12 15:07:14

On the weekends my DH sometimes takes DS out for a spin in the pram and I have a lovely bath all by myself. I listen to the radio and take my time.

Roll on Sunday!

Happy birthday btw! x

Startailoforangeandgold Fri 12-Oct-12 15:11:14

The paper in a cafe with no interruptions before the DDs went to school that and swimming one evening a week were definitely my small pleasures.

Happy birthday

MyLastDuchess Fri 12-Oct-12 15:18:42

Sounds like heaven to me. Especially not having to share your breakfast!

halcyondays Fri 12-Oct-12 15:40:41

Yes, definitely. Before dc you take for granted things like sitting at home relaxing with a cup of tea and no interruptions or a peaceful trip to a cafe. After dc you really appreciate any bit of peace and quiet you can get.

Happy birthday!

KenyanSunrise Fri 12-Oct-12 18:07:17

Happy Birthday!

I used to be a keen reader before DS, hardly have the time now, so a long uninterrupted bath with a new book is my idea of heaven now smile

I hope your Birthday continues to be as pleasing. x

Meglet Fri 12-Oct-12 18:09:52

Happy Birthday.

I love having a chance to shower when the DC's aren't in the house (very rare). All other times I have an ear out for a yell or fight breaking out.

And realising I have enough Boots points to buy a magazine or something nice always perks me up.

ZiggyPlayedGuitar Fri 12-Oct-12 18:12:46

Happy birthday thanks wine
I also take great joy in little things like getting to have a shower without constantly telling DS to stop climbing over everything, reading a book in peace etc.

We all need odd days off like that!

catgirl1976 Fri 12-Oct-12 18:15:01

If I could have a bubble bath, read a whole chapter of a book in one go and sleep for 7 hours straight I would think I had died and gone to heaven

I long for such an evening grin

So, yes I am now vair easily pleased

Happy birthday to you, it sounds lovely thanks

MrsKeithRichards Fri 12-Oct-12 18:39:14

I used to moan about the hour bus trip to n work. Last week I was going to my friends for drinks. Dh offered to pop the boys in the car and give me a run. No, I shouted. I was looking forward to 45 minutes on the bus with my tunes and book on my own. How sad is that?

freddiefrog Fri 12-Oct-12 18:51:59

LOL

I used to be over the moon if I got to eat a meal or drink a cup of coffee when it was still hot.

Now I'm pleased if I get a biscuit out of a new packet before the hoardes descend on them

Happy Birthday!

TheGirlOnTheLanding Fri 12-Oct-12 19:22:12

Happy birthday!

I used to need a book or a magazine or my iPod to travel anywhere and be bored and fed up if I forgot them. Now I actually quite like sitting staring out the train window knowing no one is going to say 'Muuum' for the duration of my journey. And YY to the bliss of a peaceful, empty house from time to time too!

CombineBananaFister Fri 12-Oct-12 20:56:52

aww thanks guys, Quirrelquarel-glad your seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, sometimes a deep breath and looking at what hasn't gone wrong that day can lift you up. Glad I'm not alone in my simple pleasures, tbh I feel a better person for it, much more positive. I used to give a shit about so much meaningless trivial crap, I actually love that I appreciate the little things. Rest of the day was fab, made buns with Ds and am now drinkingwine grin

quirrelquarrel Fri 12-Oct-12 21:15:32

Thank you- that's really sweet. The thing with depression is that it's not a case of just being lifted out of a mood, so I'm really hoping I'm getting back to that stage. I'm not sure what it is but it's something- at least I'm not giving myself black eyes anymore grin

And Happy Birthday! now to look forward to Christmas.

PervyMuskrat Fri 12-Oct-12 21:20:27

Happy Birthday!

I was due to give blood on Weds but woke up with a cold and sore throat so couldn't go, but my first thought was "Oh no, I was looking forward to a bit of a lie down, a chance to read in peace and biscuits that are all mine!"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now