Talk

Advanced search

To complain about this delivery driver

(11 Posts)
ValentineWiggins Fri 12-Oct-12 11:48:34

So I go out this morning and see a delivery van parked across my drive. I load my bags into the boot and make it clear I'm wanting to move. Driver just looks at me. So I go over and ask if there's a problem - meaning is he lost/broken down. I get a really aggressive reply about how I'd come out and started mouthing obscenities at him (nope didn't do that) and how he's just getting his bearings. Parked across my drive on a red route. Still showing no signs of leaving.

I'm still being polite and I ask him to move, and he finally turns the engine on and pulls off.

AIBU to complain about him to the company he delivers for (phone no and website plastered all over the van)? My feeling is if you are parked for no reason across someone's drive and you see them wanting to come out you don't just sit there and not move - you acknowledge them and pull away.

Grr has really ruined my morning - plus other concern is if I do complain he knows where I live :-(

valiumredhead Fri 12-Oct-12 11:55:48

Tbh I would just leave it unless he does it again and try not to give him any more head space.

Icelollycraving Fri 12-Oct-12 13:09:19

No I wouldn't unless it happened again. If you are on a red route I expect he was a bit lost & needed to stop to get his bearings. Not great but better than driving whilst programming a satnav dh I'm looking at you

emsyj Fri 12-Oct-12 13:33:29

I would complain if he had been aggressive with me and had lied that I had mouthed obscenities at him - rather than because of the drive issue. I wouldn't tolerate that behaviour personally, but then I am a keen complainer!

scuzy Fri 12-Oct-12 13:38:51

"so i go over and ask if there is a problem" , meaning is he lost/broken down.

see thats the part where i get the impression YOU were the one that went over all mouthy and with an attitude. otherwise a normal repsonse is "can i help you".

so i think yabu.

Euphemia Fri 12-Oct-12 13:58:58

Your initial approach was aggressive: he over-reacted but I can see why.

Could have been worse, he could have wee d in a bag and thrown it on your drive grin

emsyj Fri 12-Oct-12 14:26:23

I didn't even think that approaching someone with , 'Is there a problem' was aggressive, but now others have pointed it out it very likely did come across that way. Sorry OP, I think this is one of those 'chalk it up to experience' moments. I think it's often easier, if you want someone to do something, to just ask them politely with a big smile - even if you shouldn't really have to ask and even if they're in the wrong. Life's just smoother that way!

HeadlessForHalloween Fri 12-Oct-12 14:29:15

I would report him for his response, not for parking across the drive. He could have explained, apologised and moved out of the way. It didn't need to get nasty.

scuzy Fri 12-Oct-12 14:35:22

i'm sorry but someone you dont know coming up to you and saying "is there a problem?" is not going to be taken as being polite.

HeadlessForHalloween Fri 12-Oct-12 14:36:16

Surely it depends on the tone used when saying it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now