Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think TFL need their heads examined re removal of railings outside school?

(12 Posts)
earlgreyplease Fri 12-Oct-12 11:39:06

Our school sits almost on top of one of London's busiest roads, and yet in their infinite wisdom, TFL are intent on removing a set of railings which border the road on both sides, either side of a pedestrian crossing, which is predominantly used by mothers and young children at school pick up and drop off times. What on earth is motivating this insane initiative? The reasons given on their website bear absolutely no relation to this particular site. I and many other parents are speechless with incredulity, many have appealed, but so far our appeal is set to be unheard.

What can we do????

justbogoffnow Fri 12-Oct-12 11:43:17

YANBU

Contact local paper?

ThreeWheelsGood Fri 12-Oct-12 11:44:24

speak to the local authority? Campaign locally to your MP?

3littlefrogs Fri 12-Oct-12 11:45:04

Contact your MP.

Write to the local paper.

It sounds insane.

Scholes34 Fri 12-Oct-12 11:54:35

They did this a few years ago on Ken High Street, albeit not near a school, and traffic has slowed down somewhat.

LeeCoakley Fri 12-Oct-12 11:55:39

Are they replacing them with something better? If not, you need to contact the media and have a sit-in.

mycatlikestwiglets Fri 12-Oct-12 11:57:22

If you haven't already, consider pointing out to them the teenager who is currently in intensive care after his head was clipped by the wing-mirror of a lorry while he waited for the bus near his school earlier this week. See here. If it's a narrow road you are right to be concerned imo

stopcallingmefrank Fri 12-Oct-12 12:10:56

It's TfL policy to remove railings from the roads they control. It's supposed to make the 'street scene' environment better for pedestrians and give more priority to pedestrians over motor traffic.

In theory they shouldn't remove them if there is a safety issue in a particular location. As you obviously think there is a safety issue in this location, then contact TfL and tell them why. I would also contact the local paper, if I were you.

earlgreyplease Fri 12-Oct-12 13:25:41

Thank you, I will mention the teenager in critical condition. I have contacted the local press, who are interested in the story. Many thanks for your advice

Louisemum Sat 13-Oct-12 16:31:19

They've done this in quite a few places including holloway where I live. It's a great improvement has made it much easier to get around

Louisemum Sat 13-Oct-12 16:39:41

Check this forum, removing railings has improved many people's lives

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/160486/page=1

earlgreyplease Fri 19-Oct-12 20:32:05

To all those who replied on this subject...we won our appeal to save the railings! Thank heavens common sense eventually prevailed, following our umpteen letters to local council and TFL, not to mention the involvement of the local newspaper, and I also think, in no small part and very very sadly, the death of a little boy in Elephant and Castle who was killed on a road where the railings had recently been removed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now