Talk

Advanced search

to think whoever is in charge of "authentic Geordie accents" on Postman Pat needs re-training?

(28 Posts)

"Mind the pund"
"Bye leds"

What is that meant to be??

HappyJustToBe Fri 12-Oct-12 07:23:32

YANBU. DH can't watch Postman Pat without shouting at the screen for that very reason. Also he really should have been fired by now.

well yes, he's always revered for "saving the day" which is a euphemism for "sorting out the mess he made"

StripyShoes Fri 12-Oct-12 07:27:02

I thought Pat was Welsh?

pinklantern Fri 12-Oct-12 07:27:53

It's meant to be Welsh I think!

no there's a Geordie in it, can't remember his name - he;s blond.
At least I think he's meant to be Geordie

DoNotDisturb Fri 12-Oct-12 07:39:05

He's the teacher and its painful. I can never understand why they can't hire a real Geordie!

RikersBeard Fri 12-Oct-12 07:41:07

It's meant to be Yorkshire! (GreenDALE)
Apart from Mr Pringle (Geordie) and mrs Goggins (welsh)

Every day Pat spends his time doing everything but deliver letters. And when he does get a few to do he starts on about "hoping he'll have time to get them all delivered".
And at least half the children in the village have his hair, so I guess he fills his time in other ways....

BikeRunSki Fri 12-Oct-12 07:42:48

PP is set in Cumbria, near Ulpha. Cumbrian accents can sound a but Geordie, but not totally so.

It's Fireman Sam who is Welsh.

balotelli Fri 12-Oct-12 07:43:23

Mr Pringle the teacher is a Geordie.

The stories are usually set in a Yorkshire Dales village.

Fireman Sam is Welsh.

Oh shit ....I need to get a life!!

RikersBeard Fri 12-Oct-12 07:51:06

It is so not Cumbria. Clearly Yorkshire.
Pencaster = Tadcaster, Greendale = dales village

Ajay's accent is also not good

bigkidsdidit Fri 12-Oct-12 07:55:08

Every person on that bloody village has a different accent

I may get my toddler to make a furious collage to send to Cbeebies to complain

madamecake Fri 12-Oct-12 07:56:51

Postman pat definitely set in Cumbria. The creator lived in Cumbria when he came up with the idea, and was inspired by a local post office in Kendal. I only know this as I live here and the former post office has a plaque outside!
Saying that, the accents are still terrible!

PMSL at "furious collage"

BartletForTeamGB Fri 12-Oct-12 08:20:15

Has anyone watched the episode where they make the dinosaur? We have repeatedly.

I am a bit worried about Dr Gilbertson. I thought she and PC Selby had something going on (or perhaps that's a spoiler for the future. I'm never sure the order of the episodes).

Reverend Timms patted her hand in a quite flirty manner at the village meeting. What is going on there???

Oh yes, Dr and pc have been walking out (term seems appropriate grin) for ages, thought everyone knew that. Did you see the one where he srrennaded her?

bulletwithspookybatwings Fri 12-Oct-12 08:45:27

They need to sort out Fireman Sam first. Where exactly is Norman Price supposed to be from?

CuriousMama Fri 12-Oct-12 08:53:29

I'm glad those days are over wink Has anyone seen the Teesside version of Postman Pat? grin Disclaimer: Don't watch it you don't like swearing!

CuriousMama Fri 12-Oct-12 08:54:37

Here but LOTS of swearing!

BikeRunSki Fri 12-Oct-12 08:55:22

PP is set in Longsleddale in Cumbria, near Kendal. I went to school with the creator's niece and he came in to talk to us aboyt it when it was first made. He did nit go into the reasoning behind using place name nomenclature nore usually associated with Yorkshire, but that part of Cumbria is v close to Yorkshire. There 's an exhibit about it in The Museum of Lakeland Life.

BikeRunSki Fri 12-Oct-12 08:56:57

Norman Price is Fireman Sam and Dilys' love child! I thought everyone knew that!

bulletwithspookybatwings Fri 12-Oct-12 09:19:07

I meant his accent, not genetics! Everyone does know Sam is Normans Dad you're right! grin

BikeRunSki Fri 12-Oct-12 18:19:29

Back to Greendale and Pencaster being Yorkshire type names. What about Lindale, Langdale, Borrowdale and Lancaster?

FairPhyllis Fri 12-Oct-12 21:18:01

I would guess that whoever advises on accents for Postman Pat is the same person responsible for Ruth's accent in the Archers.

oldraver Fri 12-Oct-12 21:50:43

I'm liking Boro Pat grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now