Talk

Advanced search

to think this is just weird?

(12 Posts)
EmBOOsa Thu 11-Oct-12 23:59:40

My gut feeling on this is "grr fucking weirdoes", but there is some history so I may be overreacting.

We put our bins out to be collected tomorrow, and had to leave some rubbish outside the wheelie bin in black bags. Just popped out to the car to find the bags have vanished, as have some of the bags that were in the wheelie bin.

Thing is, it isn't a one off. This has happened before. Not only that, but we've also heard someone opening and closing our wheelie bin on non-collection days. We've also heard someone moving the stuff in our recycling bins tht are kept in the lean to by our front door.

We are about 99.9% certain we know who it is, as our previous neighbours also had someone who'd go through their bins. Except they caught them doing it. The explanation they were given was that they were making sure their recycling was sorted properly or the council wouldn't take it.

So based on this information alone AIBU to think this is not normal behaviour?

Just so as not to drip feed, the reason I may be overreacting is that the people we suspect are doing this, let's call them T & L, have previous for being weird/nasty.

Here's a select few events
- bullying previous neighbours out of their flat because the DH was, in T&L's words, a "nignog" hmm
- making repeated complaints to the council about those neighbours making too much noise. The way the flats are arranged, we hear the same noise as them, and it was definitely not enough to warrant a complaint.
- tried to get us to write to the council to complain, and when we wouldn't, told the neighbours that it was us complaining all along.
- would go out and buy/rescue pets that they could not keep, then expect us to take them in or take responsibility for rehousing them
- every time we leave or return to our flat, they rush to open their front door and stand watching us.

So if I am BU over this incident, go gentle on me, I have (understandably) come to react badly to almost everything they do!

HappyOrchid Fri 12-Oct-12 00:01:57

Weird with a capital W.
This rubbish is your property until the council collect it, therefore not appropriate to rummage through someone elses belongings.

WorraLiberty Fri 12-Oct-12 00:03:54

Can you get a cheap cctv from B&Q?

I'd worry about identity theft more than anything really.

The things on your list would depend on how you came by the information. Did they use the word 'nig nog' to you? Did they tell you to your face that they were blaming you for the noise complaints? The pets thing I don't understand at all?

Inneedofbrandy Fri 12-Oct-12 00:06:00

I thought of identity theft as well. They are looneys pftt glad there not my neighbours!

AnEerieAirOfHorror Fri 12-Oct-12 00:07:53

Not normal and make sure you shreed and burn any letters with info or data about you on.

Or put in with poohy nappies.

Your ndn sounds very odd.

OrangeLily Fri 12-Oct-12 00:12:49

Urrgggh yuck that happens here too, in the city so get 'dumpster divers'. Lots of stuff we chuck out tends to go missing. E'g take a slightly broken CD wrack out at 12pm, it's gone by the time I chuck a bin bag out on the way to work.

Given that its you with an individual household bin I would probably be speaking to local police. Here there are about 30 flats to each bin so hard to notice ( but bleeeurrrgh imagine the nappies/sanitary towels/condom/tissues/old meat waste they must find)

shewhowines Fri 12-Oct-12 00:13:28

Badly wrapped broken glass? No seriously i'd make sure that there was unpleasant and gooey liquids covering everything. YADNBU

Unless you think they are wieird but harmless then definitely CCTV footage and possibly then the police. Perhaps if they know you have CCTV then that in itself might stop it unless they are utterly deranged

Birdsgottafly Fri 12-Oct-12 00:13:31

I had an attempted identity theft via my recyle bin.

I found out because a man had tried to use my address and the Child Tax Credits phoned me as i claim as a LP.

Are they hoping to find something out that they can use in any way?

EmBOOsa Fri 12-Oct-12 00:30:19

"Did they use the word 'nig nog' to you?"

Yep.

"Did they tell you to your face that they were blaming you for the noise complaints?"

No, the other neighbours did. They asked T&L about the complaints, and T&L replied with "oh yes, that was Empusa and her DH, not us, we disagreed, we like you"

"The pets thing I don't understand at all?"

They'd buy or rescue animals that they couldn't look after, knowing full well they couldn't. Then they'd show up on our doorstep telling us we had to deal with these poor animals for them.

"Or put in with poohy nappies."

The worrying thing is, there were plenty of poohy nappies in our wheelie bin! <boak>

WRT identity theft, it seems a little unlikely. According to them they can't read. confused

ripsishere Fri 12-Oct-12 01:11:30

They do sound odd.
Is there a market for selling cans and glass for money? <out of touch>

EmBOOsa Fri 12-Oct-12 01:14:54

If there is then I'm missing a trick!

ripsishere Fri 12-Oct-12 02:03:42

Me too. I know I can sell my cans and bottles (and possibly paper) to someone, I just don't know who.
Being the caring person I am, I wash the hard things and tie the paper together for the cleaners in our flats <halo>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now