Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think that the woman talks sense?

(7 Posts)
FrogsgoLaDiLaDiLa Thu 11-Oct-12 23:40:13

First post: in at the deep end...

Sorry for the Torygraph link but I just read this article. AIBU to think that the woman talks sense? I'll be ttc very soon and will most likely give birth in London where the maternity units are already stretched. Frankly it worries me. My father worked for the NHS so I do know that there are problems with the current system and yes some things need to change. But surely not maternity services/other frontline services when there is so much other crap that could go first.

We're in the US at the moment and are currently wading through the minefield that is the US health insurance system. However much we like to moan about the NHS it appalls me that there is a chance that we could be moving more towards a system like that. It just feels like they are slowly chipping away at our options.

cbeebiesatemybrain Fri 12-Oct-12 00:48:26

Yanbu and I find it shocking that more women are not angry about this. There was a petition by the rcm to recruit 5000 more midwives recently and it failed to get enough signatures! shock

RubyFakeNails Fri 12-Oct-12 01:05:41

YANBU

I think that there is a horrendously low amount of press about this issue and really more should be being done. People should be up in arms about this, but then I feel we should all be up in arms, vive la revolution etc about all of the current policies the tories are bringing in under the guise of cutting the deficit.

I'm so bored of this fucking rhetoric about how everyone knows that as individuals if you haven't got the money you don't buy the stuff, you make sacrifices. Its utter nonsense. There comes a point where you stop making sacrifices because its making life futile. You don't sacrifice the food, education and health just to save money because it does more harm than good. The coalition are doing more harm than good with their cuts, its disgraceful that they're allowed to.

BadDayAtTheOrifice Fri 12-Oct-12 23:12:21

YANBU
I cannot understand why women are not very, very angry about the state of the maternity services.
I know of too many women who have received poor care and been denied their pain relief choices and yet no-one seems that bothered or compelled to do something about it.
The maternal death rate in London has doubled over the last 5 years. The press are happy to blame this on 'old or fat' mothers, but surely they can't all live in London?? Surely we need to find out why?
Women need to fight for better services.

cbeebiesatemybrain Sun 14-Oct-12 16:13:05

Bumping this for others to see

piprabbit Sun 14-Oct-12 16:20:48

I think one way to get involved and try to improve things on a local level is to get involved with your hospital's Maternity Services Liaison Committee.
Every hospital should have one, but it is an independent body (not part of the NHS) which aims to improve services by bringing women and HCPs together.

PrincessSymbian Sun 14-Oct-12 16:24:12

I was unaware of the situation, until I read this thread. Will keep an eye out for things I can do, protests, petitions etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now