Talk

Advanced search

To move dd to a new nursery

(6 Posts)
BananaPie Thu 11-Oct-12 22:13:47

Dd is 19 months and has just started at a new nursery. I've noticed that the TV seems to be permanently on in the room she's in, showing cartoons. I feel a bit uncomfortable about this - can I ask them to turn it off or should I just move her to a different nursery again? I don't want to make her unsettled, but I don't want her watching tv all day either!

Sirzy Thu 11-Oct-12 22:14:38

I would speak to them. Perhaps its just on at drop off/pick up times?

Did you not notice it when you went to look around?

defineme Thu 11-Oct-12 22:16:33

Can't see why it's on at all in an under 3 room-most odd-I've only seen tv used in an after school club section of nursery.

cookielove Thu 11-Oct-12 22:18:51

shock shock shock shock

<quickly closes jaw>

I am gob smacked that the management lets them get away with that!!!

Just total shock

Ask to see what their policy is about tv usage (i assume they have one) Tv veiwing should really only be educational, and just can't imagine why it would be on in a room with such young children in it!! shock

WOW!!

Ask them to turn it off (could you really trust them to keep it off) or pull her out!!

Still in shock

BananaPie Thu 11-Oct-12 22:22:40

Thanks, glad it's not just me! I'll have a word and start looking for a new one! It definitely wasn't on when we looked round - I would have definitely noticed! A shame, as it seems great otherwise.

RubyrooUK Thu 11-Oct-12 22:46:16

They sometimes use TV at my son's nursery when it is stormy outside and the kids are very tired (5:15pm onwards).

I don't mind as it's only a tiny part of the day and all the things they watch are relate to other parts of nursery: eg they read the Penguin book, then watch the penguin story on video.

But I wouldn't be happy with it on all the time. A soothing moment for tired kids is fine; otherwise I wouldn't be keen.

Check the TV policy with the nursery. Mine were happy to explain up front when they used TV and why. It may be that the nursery is over-using TV but I'd give them the chance to explain it first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now