Talk

Advanced search

to ask that you please watch this ( especially if you have teenagers)

(11 Posts)
Alligatorpie Thu 11-Oct-12 20:03:06

OK, I know this is technically not an AIBU, but there is a lot of traffic here and I think this is a really important topic.

This is the tragic story of Amanda Todd, who committed suicide yesterday. She was bullied as a result of a stupid mistake she made. Please watch this with your children, talk about it and learn from it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=80RqEf56Ix4

Mintyy Thu 11-Oct-12 20:04:32

What is on that clip?

Alligatorpie Thu 11-Oct-12 20:06:37

It s the story of why Amanda was bullied, how damaging cyber bullying is and how desperate she was for someone to take notice.

Mintyy Thu 11-Oct-12 20:11:39

I don't think I will, I will find my own way to talk to my dc about cyber bullying.

catfourfeet Thu 11-Oct-12 20:18:11

Oh that poor, poor girl,

sad sad

I am here in tears,

I will show it to my teens, suicide of one of my children is my BIGGEST fear.

R.I.P. sad

AllDirections Thu 11-Oct-12 20:22:26

I'm crying now, so, so tragic. I'll get my DDs to watch it too

RedTuesdayGreenWednesday Thu 11-Oct-12 20:27:48

It's truly horrible. sad. I'll get dsd to watch it and show her friends.

McHappyPants2012 Thu 11-Oct-12 20:54:35

That poor poor girl sad

But it also highlights another important issue that parents should monitor the Internet

Alligatorpie Fri 12-Oct-12 04:46:09

Of course parents need to monitor the Internet. But when do you start? This girl was 12 when she flashed her boobs.
I have a nearly seven year old. When do I start talking to her about Internet predators?

ZombTEE Fri 12-Oct-12 04:51:30

Now. I don't need to watch the video to tell you to start talking to your child about bullies, cyber or otherwise, now.

Alligatorpie Fri 12-Oct-12 05:01:57

That was worded badly. She knows about bullying and how hurtful it can be. But so far cyber bullying hasn't come up. She doesn't really use the Internet, we tend to look up things for her, but that is starting to change. She doesn't have a computer but has unrestricted access to my iPad. She is pretty sheltered, but guess I need to start.

I can't stop thinking about Amanda. Such a terrible story.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now