Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to impose a 'party tax'?

(14 Posts)
Tailtwister Thu 11-Oct-12 18:04:50

OK, DH has been away in London for 3 days. Some of it working in the London office, but also attending a company party where I believe the food and wine was rather good!

I haven't had anything to drink for a while (prob about a month now) to take a break from alcohol for a bit (after maintaining a 1 or 2 glass habit per night for 5 nights a week). After having one of 'those' days, I would rather like a glass of wine. Having investigated the wine store (AKA the back of the coat cupboard in the hall), I have noticed that the shelf where anything is fair game is empty. After more investigation I have seen a few bottles of something a bit nicer, but had a quick look on Google and seen it's in the 'you can drink now' range, as far as age is concerned.

AIBU to open it? I can't go to the supermarket to buy anything as 2 children about to go to bed. Could I justify it as a 'party tax' (tenuous I know)? It's not an off the chart bottle (not that we could afford that anyway) and I know it's not something which needs to be older to drink.

What's the verdict? Get the bottle opener out or not?

DH is getting back tonight btw, but late. I couldn't drink the whole bottle, so he'll know I've opened it.

honeytea Thu 11-Oct-12 18:10:35

Get the corkscrew right away! And have a glass for pregnant me.

BadgersGhostlyRetreatWoo Thu 11-Oct-12 18:11:50

yeop get the bottle opener out....wine cheers

Tailtwister Thu 11-Oct-12 18:51:52

ok, corkscrew at the ready...

PropertyNightmare Thu 11-Oct-12 19:15:24

Yes, open it. Life is too short to leave 'ready now' wine sitting grin

Tailtwister Thu 11-Oct-12 20:07:45

Still haven't had the balls to open it. Seem to remember DH banging on about it being something you should drink with food (last time I suggested opening it). Don't reckon beans on toast is what he had in mind...

honeytea Thu 11-Oct-12 20:10:12

have you got any nice cheese and biccies in? smile

Tailtwister Thu 11-Oct-12 20:17:36

Now that's an idea honeytea! Don't think I've got much in the way of cheese, but probably some parmesan.

honeytea Thu 11-Oct-12 20:19:14

So long as it's not a cheese string or dairylee you should be fine ;)

Tailtwister Thu 11-Oct-12 20:25:45

Does Laughing Cow count?

honeytea Thu 11-Oct-12 20:31:02

hmmm.. you might need to eat a few olives to make up for it.

fudge74 Thu 11-Oct-12 20:33:59

You are home alone, you want a drink, the bottle COULD be replaced I assume if he wanted some another time, therefore, HAVE A DRINK!
[I don't drink but hey, as long as you dont finish off the whole bottle and get lashed whilst being the only one at home responsible for the kids, go for it]
brew

PoohBearsHole Thu 11-Oct-12 20:34:07

I say sod it, opened a nice Sancerre last night for dh being away tax!!!! Stuff it I say and if you don't drink all tonight he can have some tomorrow!

thixotropic Thu 11-Oct-12 20:43:19

Open the damn wine will you.

< helluva virtual thirst>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now