Talk

Advanced search

to expect DD's coat to not get covered in paint at preschool?

(14 Posts)
tallskinnylatte Thu 11-Oct-12 10:07:36

I'm pretty relaxed about DD's clothes and happy that anything she wears to preschool can get as messy as she wants but yesterday she came home with her new, waterproof coat covered in green paint. Two washes later and it's still very stained (looks like DD was rolling in the paint- apparently they were painting boxes to make a crocodile). Where she's got a fair few t shirts, fleeces, leggings etc which can go in a hot wash, she's got one coat and a hot wash would stop it being waterproof (which we need with, oh, living in England). Annoying !!!!!

Fakebook Thu 11-Oct-12 10:10:03

What kind of material is the waterproof coat made out of?! I wiped away paint from my dd's waterproof coat with a wipe the other day.

socharlotte Thu 11-Oct-12 10:10:13

YANBU- why was she painting in her coat, and why can't they use washable paoint?

tallskinnylatte Thu 11-Oct-12 10:50:38

it's got a coating on but not the plastic kind- have washed it twice with the special cleaner you have to use (if you wash it with normal detergent it'll wash the waterproofing off). So the paint has come off, leaving deep green stains on her bright pink coat (all over).
It's just a Regatta £20 job not a super expensive goretex, but even so, £20 is £20, it's new and I bought it a size too big so it would last longer! I'm not being precious about her clothes and I expect her to come home covered in stuff, but coats are different (I think).

tara0202 Thu 11-Oct-12 10:56:24

I do think they should be using washable paint but knowing how my dd comes home from nursery I.only ever send her in clothes, coats, shoes, wellies etc that I.don't mind getting covered in paint/mud/food etc.

trixie123 Thu 11-Oct-12 10:58:12

Sorry, but really, for Pre-school DS only wears cheapy supermarket clothes. He has three coats that are showerproof, one has lined sleeves but the others are just waterproofs. A cheap jumper or fleece underneath and he is warm enough though. Last year's winter coat was £12 from Sainsburys. I appreciate the fact that at school he does loads of messy play so I don't have to do it (and clean up). If your DD needs to wear a more expensive coat because say, you have along walk to school then take it off her when you arrive and have a cheapy one for her to wear at school for outside activities.

redskyatnight Thu 11-Oct-12 11:00:05

They will be doing painting outside. They may also do gardening, chalking or rolling in the mud (ok I may be imagining that last one). Even if it doesn't come home dirty, it's possible that it may come home with pockets or hood hanging off from when another child's grabbed it when playing chase (voice of experience).

Grin and bear it I'm afraid.

Anotherusefulname Thu 11-Oct-12 12:54:35

I think you are being a bit unreasonable you should only ever send little ones to nursery in things you don't mind getting ruined.

My walking coat you wash then put through again with some waterproofer and it is as good as new. Similar kind of thing to what you spray on tents to keep them waterproof.

A coat that can't go through a hot wash at all would just be daft.

Anotherusefulname Thu 11-Oct-12 12:57:20

This is the stuff I use on our coats
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/walking/clothing/accessories/cleaning

catwomanlikesmeatballs Thu 11-Oct-12 13:08:27

yanbu, a good waterproof coat is important, you shouldn't have to buy a duplicate just so the preschool can let her ruin it. There's no reason for paint on the coat.

bonkersLFDT20 Thu 11-Oct-12 13:10:00

I don't think YABU, they should really put aprons or overalls on them when doing really messy play. It's one thing for a pre-schooler to spill soup down their front or to slip over in the mud, but quite another to allow them free access to non-washable paint while wearing their regular clothes. We wouldn't use paint without an overall in this way, so why should children?

DS has one waterproof and one coat. They are used for nursery and home. I really don't want to have to double up on everything.

Sirzy Thu 11-Oct-12 13:12:46

I would get a washable coat for nursery!

It's pretty much impossible to guarantee things won't get dirty so keep it simple by getting cheap easily cleaned clothes for nursery

tallskinnylatte Thu 11-Oct-12 13:16:59

ah well, one to put down to experience I guess. Suspect we'll end up getting another coat so she has a school one and spare, and I'll be prewarned for next year!

PunkInDublic Thu 11-Oct-12 13:22:19

"Suspect we'll end up getting another coat so she has a school one and spare" There's nothing wrong with a stained coat IMHO. If I saw a small child out and about in a warm coat that was clean but had an old stain I wouldn't be thinking "Oh poor child!". Warm and dry is the main thing for coats.

I also have a pink waterproof coat and that special tech wax stuff doesn't do much for real stains, mine has a few grass and blood stains on the sleeves and I think stuff it, it's been washed and it keeps me dry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now