Talk

Advanced search

To contact long lost sisters

(11 Posts)
wineoclock27 Wed 10-Oct-12 20:58:19

My dhs biologcal father walked him on him and his mum nearly 40 years ago when he was a baby. Both of his parents have sadley passed away. dh has always known he had a half sister but has recently discoverd he has two half sisters after some digging on fb we have found both sisters. dh is in a pickle doesnt know if he should contact them. what would you do? what would you say?

MissWing Wed 10-Oct-12 21:01:47

how much importance do you attach to genetic connections? I'm nurture all the way myself. pursuing (and revering) the biological connection has only brought heartache in my family.

jchocchip Wed 10-Oct-12 21:03:41

Hmm keep it private and neutral and don't expect too much. Does he have questions about his Dad? That might be a way to open conversation.

Shutupanddrive Wed 10-Oct-12 21:04:06

I would have to contact them but not expect too much, otherwise he will always be wondering 'what if'

quoteunquote Wed 10-Oct-12 21:42:37

Just write a polite note saying that if they ever felt that they would like to get in touch, that he would be open to contact.

That lets them know your details, and gives them time to come to terms with the idea.

Then if they do, take it very slowly,and carefully.

YouMayLogOut Wed 10-Oct-12 21:48:40

What quoteunquote said.

aldiwhore Wed 10-Oct-12 21:51:51

If he wants to do it then he should, but I would be very tentative. Putting "HI SIS!" on FB pages is not a good way to do things.

On no account should you attempt to 'help' unless he specifies EXACTLY what you're to do.

If using the internet, always pm, always be polite, don't say too much, ask a question and wait.

How you word the introduction hugely depends of whether they know of each other at all.

wineoclock27 Thu 11-Oct-12 07:41:02

Thanks guys. dh has never meet half sisters. we dont even know if they know of him.

NedZeppelin Thu 11-Oct-12 07:45:57

If they don't know about him it will be a huge shock to them. It happened to me... Tread very carefully

UndeadPixie Thu 11-Oct-12 09:03:29

Definitely tread carefully, my Mum's father walked out on her as a baby, nobody knows anything about him but I know for her, he's nobody, as would any children he had would be to her. So don't expect a massive family reunion as they may just not want to know.

imperialstateknickers Thu 11-Oct-12 09:10:49

We've been on the other end of this, a lady who turns out to be my aunt recently got in contact with us. We've been in email contact, we're enjoying hearing about her family and telling her about ours, but neither party feels any great urge for a massive huggy meet-up. It helps that the philandering git (my grandad, her dad) is long dead, and that all of us are reasonably well-adjusted and happy with our own lives, not looking for any sort of magic happy ever after scenario to fill in an aching void.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now