Talk

Advanced search

New charges for lunchtime clubs

(16 Posts)
directoroflegacy Wed 10-Oct-12 20:56:32

DD (7 and in Yr 2) has come home with a list of the lunchtime clubs the school are now offering.
At the top of the list is the Head's letter saying there will now be charges because;
To pay for resources / materials used
In a recent parental survey, parents said they would be happy to pay

Now I think I did say in the survey I would pay but up to a point.
So am I now being U because there are charges
Example
Clubs are at lunch, most 1/2 an hour lasting 10-12 weeks
Art is £11
Craft £11
Country Dancing/ICT/French/Recorders/Storytime £12
I get that Art and Craft uses expensive resources but not the rest.
All these were free last year so there is a bit of a jump!
Even if they were about £5 and the school made a profit, I would think that was ok.
Or aibu as I said it was ok to introduce and now they have I disagree?!

WelshMaenad Wed 10-Oct-12 20:59:08

Is that per term? I think that's a bargain tbh.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Wed 10-Oct-12 21:03:42

I don't really understand why something like story time is more expensive than art and craft, but I think it's fine for them to charge.

They have done it in consultation with the parents which is the main thing, it's not a huge amount and its not compulsory. I would probably only let my child choose one though.

directoroflegacy Wed 10-Oct-12 21:04:00

Yes it is a bargain, working out at £1 a session.
Where else would you get that!
But I don't get how the clubs which has traditionally expensive resources are the cheapest!!

RobynRidingHood Wed 10-Oct-12 22:25:28

Who do you think pays the wages of the people supervising the clubs? Or do you think they should donate their time? Or go without a lunch break? Do you think the clubs should run as a childs entertainment charity?

directoroflegacy Wed 10-Oct-12 22:32:40

Robyn -I am sure a teacher will be able to answer correctly but I work in a school and the teachers here don't get paid extra to do lunchtime clubs ?

fwiw I also work in a school and never get a lunch break work in the library and breaks are the busiest time (but that also means am doing something right!)

If the money is going on wages, I have no problem with that but wouldn't that make sense if the clubs had always had a charge?

McHappyPants2012 Wed 10-Oct-12 22:35:44

Clubs are optional and I praise the teachers that give up free time to teach these clubs.

If I had to pay, I wouldn't care if it went on coffee or wine for the teacher as I think they are amazing for doing this

ladygoldenlion Wed 10-Oct-12 22:37:40

Tbh, with all the cuts towards schools, I think that HTs and Business Managers are trying to ensure the school has enough funding and these type of costs are not unusual.

As previous posters have said, £1 a session is not bad and it isn't mandatory.

threesocksmorgan Wed 10-Oct-12 22:38:43

yanbu to be annoyed by it
but this is the way things will be now,
it is the cuts

stretch Wed 10-Oct-12 22:41:08

Maybe art and craft clubs run for 10 weeks and the rest for 12 weeks?

whathasthecatdonenow Wed 10-Oct-12 22:43:27

With the action short of strike action ongoing at the moment, you are lucky that any lunchtime clubs are running at all.

directoroflegacy Wed 10-Oct-12 22:51:43

ok, have just re-read the letter (properly) and the art and the craft ones are AFTER school 3:15-4pm
So yes this is a bargain.
But now am wondering do staff get extra for running clubs, I didn't think so (but think should)

directoroflegacy Mon 22-Oct-12 22:03:30

update: today got a letter home that all teacher led clubs would be free.
This is due to poor uptake.

LindyHemming Mon 22-Oct-12 22:12:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SophiesMummySaid Tue 23-Oct-12 00:36:03

My Ds is going on an after school craft club for 6 weeks, cost £3 to cover resources. This sort of scale seems more reasonable.

sashh Tue 23-Oct-12 03:14:15

Maybe the groups are different sizes. You can have 30 kids doing art, but it might be a lot for a dance class.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: