Talk

Advanced search

New charges for lunchtime clubs

(16 Posts)
directoroflegacy Wed 10-Oct-12 20:56:32

DD (7 and in Yr 2) has come home with a list of the lunchtime clubs the school are now offering.
At the top of the list is the Head's letter saying there will now be charges because;
To pay for resources / materials used
In a recent parental survey, parents said they would be happy to pay

Now I think I did say in the survey I would pay but up to a point.
So am I now being U because there are charges
Example
Clubs are at lunch, most 1/2 an hour lasting 10-12 weeks
Art is £11
Craft £11
Country Dancing/ICT/French/Recorders/Storytime £12
I get that Art and Craft uses expensive resources but not the rest.
All these were free last year so there is a bit of a jump!
Even if they were about £5 and the school made a profit, I would think that was ok.
Or aibu as I said it was ok to introduce and now they have I disagree?!

WelshMaenad Wed 10-Oct-12 20:59:08

Is that per term? I think that's a bargain tbh.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Wed 10-Oct-12 21:03:42

I don't really understand why something like story time is more expensive than art and craft, but I think it's fine for them to charge.

They have done it in consultation with the parents which is the main thing, it's not a huge amount and its not compulsory. I would probably only let my child choose one though.

directoroflegacy Wed 10-Oct-12 21:04:00

Yes it is a bargain, working out at £1 a session.
Where else would you get that!
But I don't get how the clubs which has traditionally expensive resources are the cheapest!!

RobynRidingHood Wed 10-Oct-12 22:25:28

Who do you think pays the wages of the people supervising the clubs? Or do you think they should donate their time? Or go without a lunch break? Do you think the clubs should run as a childs entertainment charity?

directoroflegacy Wed 10-Oct-12 22:32:40

Robyn -I am sure a teacher will be able to answer correctly but I work in a school and the teachers here don't get paid extra to do lunchtime clubs ?

fwiw I also work in a school and never get a lunch break work in the library and breaks are the busiest time (but that also means am doing something right!)

If the money is going on wages, I have no problem with that but wouldn't that make sense if the clubs had always had a charge?

McHappyPants2012 Wed 10-Oct-12 22:35:44

Clubs are optional and I praise the teachers that give up free time to teach these clubs.

If I had to pay, I wouldn't care if it went on coffee or wine for the teacher as I think they are amazing for doing this

ladygoldenlion Wed 10-Oct-12 22:37:40

Tbh, with all the cuts towards schools, I think that HTs and Business Managers are trying to ensure the school has enough funding and these type of costs are not unusual.

As previous posters have said, £1 a session is not bad and it isn't mandatory.

threesocksmorgan Wed 10-Oct-12 22:38:43

yanbu to be annoyed by it
but this is the way things will be now,
it is the cuts

stretch Wed 10-Oct-12 22:41:08

Maybe art and craft clubs run for 10 weeks and the rest for 12 weeks?

whathasthecatdonenow Wed 10-Oct-12 22:43:27

With the action short of strike action ongoing at the moment, you are lucky that any lunchtime clubs are running at all.

directoroflegacy Wed 10-Oct-12 22:51:43

ok, have just re-read the letter (properly) and the art and the craft ones are AFTER school 3:15-4pm
So yes this is a bargain.
But now am wondering do staff get extra for running clubs, I didn't think so (but think should)

directoroflegacy Mon 22-Oct-12 22:03:30

update: today got a letter home that all teacher led clubs would be free.
This is due to poor uptake.

Euphemia Mon 22-Oct-12 22:12:41

Staff don't get paid extra ever, for anything! We get our salary and that's that.

Doing clubs is expected as part of the working time agreement, which sets out how you will spend your time over the year: class contact, CPD, planning, curricular development, clubs, etc.

SophiesMummySaid Tue 23-Oct-12 00:36:03

My Ds is going on an after school craft club for 6 weeks, cost £3 to cover resources. This sort of scale seems more reasonable.

sashh Tue 23-Oct-12 03:14:15

Maybe the groups are different sizes. You can have 30 kids doing art, but it might be a lot for a dance class.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now