Talk

Advanced search

school bookfair wishlists

(11 Posts)
mixedpeel Wed 10-Oct-12 20:26:19

So it's Book Week at school. Yay, big up books, books are great.

All fine.

Dress-up as a Roald Dahl character on Friday.

Lovely.

Book Fair in dining room after school Tues-Fri, with books for sale.

Ok.

Kids encouraged to look round book fair, write down the top three books they want, and thrust this wishlish into parent's hand.

I'm uncomfortable with this. Obviously it's a parent's job (and prerogative) to manage children's expectations, but some won't be able to afford anything, and I think school encouraging pester power is a bit off, tbh.

Sparklingbrook Wed 10-Oct-12 20:27:56

Oh god this used to make me so angry. DS2 brought out a list totalling about thirty quid once. shock

Have you priced them up on Amazon? They are usually considerably cheaper.

mixedpeel Wed 10-Oct-12 20:35:11

yes, Sparklingbrook, the prices are not cheap. My boys already know that I will buy them one book each.

By all means encourage The Joy of Bux, but I don't like this wishlist thing at all.

Sparklingbrook Wed 10-Oct-12 20:37:36

I just said I would buy him one of the books on his list from Amazon. I would then wait a week, and if he mentioned it I ordered it, if not I didn't.

twooter Wed 10-Oct-12 20:39:17

The book people are usually cheaper still. You can normally buy a whole set of books for the price of one at the book fair.

mixedpeel Wed 10-Oct-12 20:47:47

In my normal life I am a classic Stingy Mum, so most of their books are from charity shops etc. I have let them have one book from this bloomin' Bookfair each year.

But really I think it is unreasonable of the school to encourage this "I want" thing. I suppose in the most charitable scenario, you could argue that kids might think about putting books on a Christmas list in future or something.

Hm.

MrsKeithRichards Wed 10-Oct-12 21:03:24

I have a house full of books, mainly from charity shops, I very rarely buy new books and if I do they're from Amazon or Book People.

I do however make exception for the book fair. I know the joy of new books, enjoy treating my son and like the thought of the school benefiting. So I swallow the price and spend the £8 or whatever.

What fucks me off, more than anything, is the fact they stock tons of 'non book' books like Lego kits with a token book and other things.

ErrorError Wed 10-Oct-12 21:15:59

We used to have these at school. I was only allowed one (usually a Where's Wally book! grin) Which annoyed me as I was always an avid reader (still am), but it's what we could afford and I had to suck it up. However, like twooter says, there could be some good deals on at the fair, and anything that gets kids enthusiastic about reading can only be good IMO. If your DC have 3 on their lists, then I would let them buy one each (as you've said) and if you can afford it, incorporate the others into presents for other occasions (birthday/christmas etc.) where you can get them cheaper online.

OR... take them to the library to see if they can find their favourites and they'll get to read them anyway for free smile

ErrorError Wed 10-Oct-12 21:18:58

oops misinterpreted twooter's post! Thought it meant book fair was cheaper but actually meant 'the book people' are cheaper! blush I still stand by my other suggestions though!

WildWorld2004 Wed 10-Oct-12 22:00:23

I let my dd write down whatever books she likes & then get them cheap from my brother as he works in a book shop.smile

wtf1981 Thu 11-Oct-12 00:01:22

At the school I work in,going to look at the Book Fair is seen as a nice class activity-children share books and recommend them to each other,and,think about books they might like to buy. As a teacher I explain how expensive they are and not to worry if their folks can't buy one. The fair itself is always a success and the proceeds go towards new books for the class libraries-so their recommendations don't go to waste. Usually 50 per cent commission for the school!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now