Talk

Advanced search

to think my children won't melt if they hear a bit of bad language?

(26 Posts)
freddiefrog Wed 10-Oct-12 19:12:09

We live in a housing estate which backs into a park.

Some of the local teens have been campaigning for a skate ramp and basketball court. Local council agreed.

There's now a petition doing the rounds as some of the locals don't want the skate ramp/basketball court as they think teens will gather there and they're worried about swearing

Apparently, I'm a 'lefty' because I refused to sign it. There's feck all round here for older kids/teens to do so IMO it's needed and no one's ears have ever fallen off because they heard a few swear words

picnicbasketcase Wed 10-Oct-12 19:13:39

Is it a foregone conclusion that teens = foul language? I wouldn't sign it either.

MrsRajeshKoothrappali Wed 10-Oct-12 19:14:51

I heard an 8 year old say 'fucking cunt' in the playground this morning.

confused

If there's swearing to be heard, then I imagine they've already heard it.

People are really harsh about teenagers, it really bugs me.

Fakebook Wed 10-Oct-12 19:15:43

Swearing would be least of my worries.

scurryfunge Wed 10-Oct-12 19:16:51

It'll be a real shame if they don't build it. It's great that youngsters have had a say in the facilities provided for them. Swearing didn't kill anyone. What are they really worried about?

Bunbaker Wed 10-Oct-12 19:19:00

I agree. I just think you need to reinforce the fact that it is inappropriate most of the time.

freddiefrog Wed 10-Oct-12 19:20:44

what are they really worried about?

I don't know. The petition just said that they were against the skate ramp. The person asking me to sign it was very worried about swearing

I would have thought vandalism, under age drinking, drugs would have been more of a (not necessaryily a warranted) concern if I'm honest

CailinDana Wed 10-Oct-12 19:21:32

A few of the local younger teens hang out in the playground near my house, in quite a "deprived" area. They're kind to the children, warn each other not to swear if there's a small person around and are generally lovely. A bunch of them played with my DS for nearly 20 minutes when he wouldn't leave them alone. I told them they didn't need to but they didn't mind at all. I think the idea that teenagers are automatically bad is totally unfounded.

freddiefrog Wed 10-Oct-12 19:22:02

Necessarily (autocorrect never works when you want it too!)

Everlong Wed 10-Oct-12 19:25:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

freddiefrog Wed 10-Oct-12 19:25:47

They already hang around in the park anyway and they've never been a problem. I'm not too sure how the addition of a skate ramp and a basket ball court is going to turn them into foul mouthed oiks

WhenLifeGivesYouLemons Wed 10-Oct-12 19:30:46

WTF... they are more concerned with the potential for small children to pick up bad language then they are with keeping older teenagers off the streets. They really need to get their priorities straight. hmm

BupcakesAndHaunting Wed 10-Oct-12 19:31:09

"I heard an 8 year old say 'fucking cunt' in the playground this morning"

That's mah boy!

<beams with pride>

FrothyOM Wed 10-Oct-12 19:33:35

lol at bupcackes

Op YANBU

Startailoforangeandgold Wed 10-Oct-12 19:34:25

Our skate ramp and shelter are brilliant, it gives the older DCs a place to hang out.

They are no longer sitting on the swings and the small DCs can use them, it's totally win win.

And no swearinggrin

MMMarmite Wed 10-Oct-12 19:39:07

The small children will grow into teenagers soon enough, and then there'll be nowhere for them to hang out. But that's fine, because at least they won't know any swear words. hmm

YANBU.

CupsofTeaAndHandfulsOfCake Wed 10-Oct-12 19:44:15

Why don't you do your own petition to support it.

You could sign it
Mr Wanker.
Mrs Bollocks.
Dr Fucking Bastard.
Mrs Cunt.
Mr Twat.

mixedpeel Wed 10-Oct-12 19:52:22

CupsofTea grin

A fantastic skate park opened near us last year. Atmosphere brilliant. In the daytime the teenagers are joined by younger kids on scooters etc, and it's a great big love-in.

As someone else says, it also freed up all the swings etc for the littlies.

Loads of people use the park bit for walking their dogs, so it's become a genuinely mixed use area - without sounding too wanky, that's gotta be a good thing imo.

Himalaya Wed 10-Oct-12 19:58:19

Skate park is a great idea - as long as it's not right outside anyone's window. I wouldn't be worried about swearing, but they are noisy - the thwack of wheels and plywood etc..

youarewinning Wed 10-Oct-12 20:00:26

Good on the local teens for being pro active and finding a way to get themselves something to do. They sound more like teens who don't want to hang around effin and blindin.

FWIW I live on a fairly new estate with a park right opposite my flat. I hear nothing from the teens who hang out there late into the evening but frequently hear swearing by the 8-11 yo's who play out after school.

freddiefrog Wed 10-Oct-12 20:01:40

Lol Bupcakes

Actually, any bad language my kids have heard is as likely to have come from me as random teenagers in the park.

And 'lefty' is the crappest insult I've ever had thrown at me

Our park is used for all sorts too, there's a fenced off bit for off-lead dog walking, swings, couple of football pitches. There's never been a problem before so I doubt there will be one if they build a ramp

Nagoo Wed 10-Oct-12 20:04:15

YANBU and it's not about the fucking swearing is it?!

freddiefrog Wed 10-Oct-12 20:08:04

the thwack of wheels and plywood etc..

As far as I know, it's going the opposite side of the park, away from the housing estate.

And from what I understand, they've had to raise a certain % of the ££ themselves, so I would have thought that where they've gone to so much effort, they'll look after it.

CupsofTeaAndHandfulsOfCake That's a good idea actually, next time I get asked to sign one, I'll just write Mrs Fuck Off Moaners (or does anyone actually check if they're all proper signatures)

sarahtigh Wed 10-Oct-12 20:11:56

your kids may not melt at bad language but they will definitely melt in the rain unless you have nice 4x4 to protect them, no park or skating area children might get wet! and slip on muddy puddle or worse icy puddle and then it will be all your fault because you won;t sign to ban park grin

freddiefrog Wed 10-Oct-12 20:14:06

LOL!

My kids are clearly doomed as a don't have a 4x4 sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now