Talk

Advanced search

to not send Christmas cards to friends this year because of this?

(40 Posts)
PeggyCarter Wed 10-Oct-12 15:18:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YANBU.

£40 for something that will get thrown in the bin come January???

Will no one think of the trees?

Sirzy Wed 10-Oct-12 15:20:46

Send them to whoever you want. None of her business

MrsWolowitz Wed 10-Oct-12 15:21:23

Purple2012 Wed 10-Oct-12 15:21:24

No yanbu. If you can't afford it then why should you go short. I agree sending to elderly relatives is nice, and it's a good compromise. Most people won't notice you haven't sent a card anyway.

CailinDana Wed 10-Oct-12 15:21:29

YANBU. I don't send any Christmas cards. To anyone. I don't see the point, and I find them annoying to get because I just have to throw them out. Bah humbug.

SummerRain Wed 10-Oct-12 15:22:41

She's being ridiculous, the only cards I've sent the last few years are to family abroad... About 10 in total. And that's expensive enough.

The cost of cards and postage is an obvious expenditure to cut if you need to save money.

BartletForTeamGB Wed 10-Oct-12 15:24:13

YANBU. No one gets Christmas cards from me except relatives or friends who live far away, because I'll send them an up to date photo of us and a nice (handwritten and personal) letter.

Pinkspottyegg Wed 10-Oct-12 15:26:05

I sent only a few to elderly folks last year and it was so liberating. What's the fecking point of sending someone a card when you see them lots or communicate on Fb. I sent a Xmas email to everyone else. Last time I did the full monty I spent over £70 on cards and postage and vowed never to do it again

Toastwithatwist Wed 10-Oct-12 15:26:19

I'm really not a Christmas person so am perfectly happy to ignore cards. However, I know other people like them so I have stolen something my Mum has done for years - I let it be known that instead of cards, I'm donating to charity (I generally try and pick one that reflects something significant during the previous year - this year it will be the favourite charity of a friend who died over the summer). I make a good donation, which is still cheaper than cards would be in all likelihood (I'm giving £20 this year), and no-one gets offended.

MrsRajeshKoothrappali Wed 10-Oct-12 15:27:27

I've bought three naice Christmas cards for this year.

That's it. That's all I'm sending.

Fecking faff every year and no one even cares that much.

And while we're on the subject why are Christmas card pictures so dull and depressing unless you buy garish Simpsons ones confused . You saw that and thought of me, did you? How lovely hmm !

MackerelOfFact Wed 10-Oct-12 15:29:37

YANBU, I don't bother with cards aside from close family. I don't get many either, perhaps because I don't send any, or perhaps because it's a generational thing - my mum sends one to everyone she's ever known, as did my grandparents, but I think this generation prefer to wish people a happy Christmas through Facebook or whatever instead.

MousyMouse Wed 10-Oct-12 15:29:48

yanbu
I don't do christmas cards at all. don't see the point, they all land in the rubbish soon anyway and are ony good for catching spiders (some are even rubbish for that because of 'artistic' holes in them...

MackerelOfFact Wed 10-Oct-12 15:30:57

BTW, when you said "We will still be sending cards to elderly relatives (I have some left from last year)" I thought you were saying you still have elderly relatives left from last Xmas, not cards! grin

DesperatelySeekingPomBears Wed 10-Oct-12 15:32:10

DP's family recycle their cards to one another. Initially I thought they were insane but actually its nice to look inside and see how small family units have grown from single person to couple to New DCs.

PeggyCarter Wed 10-Oct-12 15:32:54

ZiggyPlayedGuitar Wed 10-Oct-12 15:37:53

Yanbu. I give out a few cards if I remember but otherwise I don't bother. It's such a waste of money and paper, easier just to say "merry Christmas"

Last year, I sent over 100 cards, and received less than 50 - I am guessing the others decided they couldn't afford to send cards - and this year, I am considering only sending cards,to the people who sent cards to me. But I feel guilty about this decision.

Crinkle77 Wed 10-Oct-12 16:46:27

Some people I know say that they are not going to send xmas cards this year but make a donation to charity instead

Hopeforever Wed 10-Oct-12 16:47:01

Haven't sent any for 4 years, it's time as much as money.

Sending them to elderly family and friends sounds lovely

RubberDuck Wed 10-Oct-12 16:48:08

I haven't done any Christmas cards for the last 3 years.

No-one's actually noticed, I don't think. In fact my MIL was absolutely shocked when I mentioned it after the season last year and said "but I'm sure you sent me one". grin

StuntGirl Wed 10-Oct-12 16:48:29

Bloody hell, if you can't afford it you can't afford it. Cheeky mare, tell her to buy you the stamps if she's so bothered!

EleanorBloodBathsket Wed 10-Oct-12 16:57:09

SheilaWheeler Wed 10-Oct-12 17:00:58

I didn't send any cards last year because of a MN thread. It was very liberating and I don't think anyone noticed their lack of card

cantspel Wed 10-Oct-12 17:02:35

I only send a couple of cards to elderly relatives, everyone else gets an email or text and i make a donation to charity from the money saved on cards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now