Talk

Advanced search

Tax Refund .....or not

(14 Posts)
SuzysZoo Wed 10-Oct-12 14:53:34

To wonder if I someone is trying to scam me by sending me an email about a £435 tax refund? I just need to enter my bank account details and the money is all mine. Should I? Um no, maybe if it was real someone would have spell checked it and not signed off "best regards"!!

FireOverBabylon Wed 10-Oct-12 14:57:29

Naah! Press delete. Tis a scam I'm afraid. HMRC would send you a cheque.

bigbluebus Wed 10-Oct-12 15:00:32

Delete, delete, delete.
I had a 'reminder' e-mail the other day as a follow up to one a few weeks ago. It told me I was due a refund of £235.
The e-mail contained spelling mistakes and apart from that I ahven't paid tax since I gave up work 13 years ago........ so I know I am definitely not due a refund.
HMRC will always write to you using Royal snail Mail regarding tax affairs.

bigbluebus Wed 10-Oct-12 15:03:15

Suzys did yours have the word 'recieve' instead of 'receive'?
And did it list certain banks where payment would go in within 48 hrs and others where it would take 72 hours? Why would that be - a BACS transfer would take the same time for all banks surely!

StrangeGlue Wed 10-Oct-12 15:03:51

Scam!

Hmrc always write.

If in doubt look up hmrc's number not via that email and ring them.

x2boys Wed 10-Oct-12 15:09:03

i got a rather large rebate two years ago just before xmas i got a letter from hmrc then a cheque week or so later no bank details needed

IShallWearMidnight Wed 10-Oct-12 15:39:05

DH (tax advisor) got one of these this morning - he was actually quite impressed as it was pretty good as far as scam emails go, and had the proper HMRC web address. The email address was something at revenue.co.uk though.

jojo1983 Wed 10-Oct-12 15:48:02

I've had two of these emails the last three weeks both of which I deleted and now I have just got another one! Have also warned my mum not to fall for the email as it is a scam. If you type into goggle tax rebate email it will tell you that it is a scam.

Paradisefound Wed 10-Oct-12 15:49:51

Yes scam for sure.

BlueGoddess Wed 10-Oct-12 16:57:45

The Inland Revenue never email.

oldraver Wed 10-Oct-12 17:03:17

At the moment the cheques from HMRC arrive with the letter telling you, you have a rebate and I'm not all jealous I got £13.40 when other people in the house got between £700-£1300

maddening Wed 10-Oct-12 17:07:40

scam - I got a letter from inland revenue advising I was due a refund and gave the calculation that this was based against and then a cheque in a separate letter

SuzysZoo Wed 10-Oct-12 21:08:21

Don't worry I worked out it was a scam............. I wonder why they don't ask a native english speaker or at least a spell checker to have a glance before they send them!!! LOL. I worry though, about all the old dears who fall for this sort of thing..........

mollymole Thu 11-Oct-12 16:55:43

HMRC NEVER send e-mails relating to tax refunds and ALWAYS send cheques in the post.
You can send the dodgy e mails to HMRC under phishing and they will try to take them down

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now