Talk

Advanced search

to expect a travel agent can handle surnames longer than 8 characters?

(4 Posts)

I booked a flight for me and DD to go to Europe later this month via Expedia. The confirmation email showed DD's last name with one character missing. (DH and DD both have a last name with 9 characters). I rang Expedia and cancelled it, thinking I accidentally deleted one character from the form. I re-book via their website, and the confirmation email again truncated DD's name. I thought to myself, oh well, maybe the email is just shortening it like boarding passes. It was also late, so I went to sleep.

This morning, I spent at least 30min on the phone with Expedia. They say their system only use 8 characters for last name. WTF! They say the airline will charge £35 to correct the name. Though they admitted it's their fault, and they'll paid for the penalty. They promised they'll ring back in 15min once it's sorted. It's 30min and they haven't rung back yet.

DH think I'm being silly since 1) it's just to Europe 2) it's an infant ticket. No one will stop DD boarding the plane just because the last name is character short. I really don't want to waste more time talking to the call centre. And I don't want this stress either.

AIBU to fuss over this?

Rosa Wed 10-Oct-12 12:19:57

No you are not, They made the mistake and they should sort it out.... NOt sure if you were planning it but do take dds birth certificate with you just incase you are asked for it to prove you are dds mum !!!! Its happened to me with the dds as they have different surnames to me.

AKissIsNotAContract Wed 10-Oct-12 12:22:17

That's ridiculous. When we get married our surname will be 15 letters long.

Update. They just rung me back, and I've received a new itinerary with the correct name for DD. They paid the penalty the airline charges name change. But it's still a hassle that you have to ring them up. There shoudln't have been an error in the first place, should there? It's automated to start with ffs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now