Talk

Advanced search

To think people should not take the lift to travel one floor?

(81 Posts)
kim147 Wed 10-Oct-12 08:40:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 10-Oct-12 08:42:59

Because they want to I guess. Does it really matter whether they walk or use the lift? If the lift is for general use and they want to use it then why not.

willyoulistentome Wed 10-Oct-12 08:42:59

I sometimes take the lift up one floor at work when my knees are feeling particularly sore. I have joint problems. I'm 45 so probably look like I OUGHT to be able to take the stairs at all times. I COULD , but it would hurt my knees.

droitwichmummy Wed 10-Oct-12 08:43:14

I have to take the lift for one floor at the moment on doctor's orders as I have strained the ligaments in my foot. Others may have their own reasons which are not always obvious

throckenholt Wed 10-Oct-12 08:46:29

Some will definitely have medical reasons. Some will be carrying something heavy or unweildy, and some will undoubtedly be being lazy.

Nothing much you can do about it though.

SomersetONeil Wed 10-Oct-12 08:50:09

I work on the first floor and rarely take the lift because faffing about pressing buttons, waiting for it to arrive, getting in and waiting while someone holds it open for their mate, grinding up to the first floor, opening and being spat out takes way, way longer than just walking up the stairs, so YANBU.

On the rare occasion I have caught it up (or worse - down), you can actually feel the passive aggressive seething emanating off your fellow travellers.

SoleSource Wed 10-Oct-12 08:53:14

Because they wanna smile

economistextra Wed 10-Oct-12 09:02:12

Yanbu. This drives me mad, I accept a very few people may have medical reasons, but most are just lazy. I have to get the lift four floors, it is very slow and if only going one floor it would be faster to walk.

Every time it happens, the remaining people in the lift tend to comment 'lazy git' or 'who ate all the pies' once the one floor person has wasted our time got out.

FutTheShuckUp Wed 10-Oct-12 09:05:13

Nice economisextra.
So if you are larger and struggle with mobility or even small and get easily tired you deserve to be slagged off by people who know nothing of your health?

PurplePidjin Wed 10-Oct-12 09:05:46

Because they're tired and fed up and they've got set 9 with all the disruptive kids next and it's waaaaaaaay too long till half term and all that bending over at desks has buggered up their back/knees, and they've got drama club at lunchtime so won't have time to eat...

Yabu unless their use of the lift has an impact on a pupil with mobility issues getting to class on time

but yes, mostly it's sheer laziness

wink

economistextra Wed 10-Oct-12 09:06:58

If you are larger you should definitely use the stairs, exercise will help lose the pounds, a lift won't!

Charliefox Wed 10-Oct-12 09:09:53

I feel the same about escalators. Don't just stand there, move that big fat flabby arse and walk!

MrsKeithRichards Wed 10-Oct-12 09:37:56

Your meant to walk up escalators?

PeggyCarter Wed 10-Oct-12 09:42:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PeshwariNaan Wed 10-Oct-12 09:44:10

I'll admit it, I've done it for the first time this week. I'm getting to the uncomfortably pregnant stage and I was carrying seven hardback books.

AmazingBouncingFerret Wed 10-Oct-12 09:49:37

It's none of your business really.

I prefer to walk because I can but if people prefer to not walk then exactly what is the problem with that?

wellthatsdoneit Wed 10-Oct-12 09:52:09

OP, you are larry David's lift riding partner and I claim my five pounds!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkbYwtvm0yU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Calabria Wed 10-Oct-12 09:53:09

I hate lifts and am very unhappy that I have to use them more and more now I have arthritis. I used to walk or run up several flights rather than use a lift.

Count yourself lucky.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Wed 10-Oct-12 09:53:29

Happens at my work too.

Lazy feckers.

And no, obviously I'm not including those who are pregnant/less mobile/have hidden disabilities ...

maddening Wed 10-Oct-12 09:53:42

why does it bother you?

OhChristFENTON Wed 10-Oct-12 09:56:00

I like to ride in the lift, but no I wouldn't usually use it for one floor because I'd want to leave it free for someone who really needs it rather than just fancying a ride grin

btw Charliefox, you sound lovely smile <--- yup, a PA one.

Goldenjubilee10 Wed 10-Oct-12 10:01:34

YABU, be grateful that you are able to manage stairs and be glad that a lift is available to take you up one floor should you ever need it!

AnOldieButNotSoGoody Wed 10-Oct-12 10:06:10

I don't know.

Maybe they're tired.

Who cares? apart from you

QuintessentialShadows Wed 10-Oct-12 10:07:24

You need to conduct a proper survey, like a Friday afternoon fun Lift VS Stairs questionnaire.

GoblinGold Wed 10-Oct-12 10:13:11

Some people are absolutely bloody charming.

I have rheumatoid arthritis. I might have swum a mile in the morning but I find stairs sometimes really hard for my knees/ankles. I think I probably (in my mid-thirties, no sticks etc) look like I could take the stairs. I could. But it might mean that tomorrow I have to crawl, yes CRAWL, to the toilet. But don't let that stop you with your ignorant comments EconomistExtra, Charliefox.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now