Talk

Advanced search

To not understand people who want to get rid of the tv licence but watch iplayer

(68 Posts)
MeFour Wed 10-Oct-12 08:20:48

If none of us bought a tv licence and all wanted to watch everything after the event on iplayer there would be nothing to watch as they wouldn't have the money. Yes they get money from other sources but surely iplayer is one of the things that would go.

MeFour Wed 10-Oct-12 08:43:32

Just me then grin

ClaudiaSchiffer Wed 10-Oct-12 08:44:57

I agree with you MeFour.

grin

Convert Wed 10-Oct-12 08:45:58

I think they should just put some bloody adverts on so we wouldn't have to pay a tv licence for two channels. I have sky so have to have a tv licence even though the only thing I watch is eastenders.

MrsRhettButler Wed 10-Oct-12 08:47:10

But that's not going to happen. So people can get rid of their license and just watch iplayer smile

MrsRhettButler Wed 10-Oct-12 08:48:28

I agree wholeheartedly with convert

overthemill Wed 10-Oct-12 08:50:15

but convert your TV licence pays for eastenders and also the provision of all the TV and radio paraphenalia provided by the BBC and used by all the other TV companies, past and present. I don't mind paying for the BBC at all, in fact think it's a good thing like paying for the NHS and libraries, but think it shouldn't be called a TV licence - it's a tax to pay for broadcasting in the UK. And the BBC being free of adverts is what makes me watch BBC probably 75% of the time and Channel 4 and related channels 25% of the time. Rarely watch ITV.

CreamOfTomatoSoup Wed 10-Oct-12 08:52:15

YANBU.
I don't pay for a license and I only watch iplayer/ non live streaming. I would be quite happy to pay for a license for iplayer but I don't have to.

You also don't have to pay for radio.

ArtexMonkey Wed 10-Oct-12 08:53:06

I agree. We got rid of our virgin box last christmas, so we have nothing to receive terrestrial tv signal, but we've kept our licence on because iit's worth it to us for all the iplayer stuff we watch, all the radio we listen to, and just the privilege of having a free independent broadcaster not beholden to advertisers or government. We are really lucky in this country to have the bbc (i know they're not perfect, but dear god look at the other channels), and we should support them. Imo.

froggies Wed 10-Oct-12 08:54:27

But you are still supposed to have a tv licence if you watch BBc stuff on your computer. I have just started a course as a mature student, and we were all told this during the first week at college. Not that it effects me. No idea how it would be policed though.

Convert Wed 10-Oct-12 08:56:12

It annoys me that you don't really get a choice though, if I could get sky to switch off bbc channels so I didn't have to pay for it I would and be happy not to watch the channels. As I can't do that I'm forced in to paying it. I like the music channels on sky, the film channels an stuff like sky Atlantic, DH watches sports so I don't want to get rid of it but there should be a choice.

TheDarkestNight Wed 10-Oct-12 08:57:44

You only have to have a TV license if you watch TV as it's being broadcast online. So for watching most iPlayer stuff, you're fine.

LtEveDallas Wed 10-Oct-12 08:58:10

I agree with Convert and MrsRhettButler. I'd rather have adverts than a TV Licence.

Actually I'd rather have the opportunity to buy a TV that could NOT pick up any BBC Channel (This technology MUST be available by now, surely?). I don't watch BBC, I don't listen to BBC Radio. What little TV viewing I do is limited to Sky/Freeview channels and has been for years.

Why not give the public the choice to opt out?

notsofrownieface Wed 10-Oct-12 08:58:21

But you are still supposed to have a tv licence if you watch BBc stuff on your computer.

Only if it is live.

Bunbaker Wed 10-Oct-12 09:01:26

That's why you can't get iPlayer outside the UK because non UK residents don't pay for a TV licence. If everyone just watched iPlayer without paying for a licence then there would be no BBC TV.

Like a couple of posters on here I watch far more BBC programmes than those on commercial channels. I record anything on commercial channels so I can zap through the adverts as they drive me round the bend - I am an advertiser's nightmare grin

I think the TV licence is good value for money - I enjoy the European crime dramas (The Killing, The Bridge, Montalbano) and comedy, and DD likes CBBC. She sent an email in the other day that got read out and acted out on TV and she was over the moon.

Moominsarescary Wed 10-Oct-12 09:03:14

I agree Lt we should be able to opt out

whois Wed 10-Oct-12 09:09:57

Unbelievable that people would rather watch adverts than pay £120 a year for a TV license.

Even at minimum wage, assuming two adults in the house, you are really undervaluing your time wasted watching adverts.

TV channels with adverts have to play to the lowest common denominator with little scope for decent independent broadcasting. Think how much crap is on ITV!

@

MrsRhettButler Wed 10-Oct-12 09:10:14

I literally pay my license so I can watch eastenders.

MrsRhettButler Wed 10-Oct-12 09:11:51

Ohhhh I just realised I couldn't possibly do without In The Night Garden! That may be worth the license money... My mind is changing grin

LtEveDallas Wed 10-Oct-12 09:29:55

Umm, isn't it £145.00 for a TV licence?

I like the adverts, it gives me the chance to pop out of the room for a wee, for a fag, to make a cuppa, or let the dog out for a wee grin

I watch maybe 2 hours of TV a day, 2 one-hour long programmes per night, things like The Walking Dead, CSI, NCIS etc. I used to enjoy Countryfile on the BBC, but thats about it.

I can't remember the last time I watched a BBC Channel, and I don't miss it.

Each to their own smile

MrsRhettButler Wed 10-Oct-12 09:52:26

Yes its £145 and tbh its an expense could do without. Although I do have sky so not like I can't afford it.

Woozley Wed 10-Oct-12 09:57:26

I think they should just put some bloody adverts on so we wouldn't have to pay a tv licence for two channels. I have sky so have to have a tv licence even though the only thing I watch is eastenders.

I'd rather just pay the licence and have BBC 1-4, Radio 1-5, and nothing else. I don't watch much TV at all, but I can't remember the last time I found something I wanted to watch on a non BBC channel.

MeFour Wed 10-Oct-12 10:04:40

10 tv channels
10 radio plus local stations
Online services including cbeebies/Cbbc and iplayer
World service/news Eric

And Adam in spooks, Richard Armitage in Robin Hood ...
I would pay the fee for doctor who alone grin

Bunbaker Wed 10-Oct-12 10:34:01

"Unbelievable that people would rather watch adverts than pay for a TV license...TV channels with adverts have to play to the lowest common denominator with little scope for decent independent broadcasting. Think how much crap is on ITV!"

I agree. I only watch Downton Abbey and Midsomer Murders on ITV and record both of them so I can fast forward through the drivel.

greenbananas Wed 10-Oct-12 10:48:55

I think cbeebies alone is worth the TV license fee. Children should not be watching adverts for toys. Also, in terms of quality, there is simply no comparison between the well produced and largely educational programmes on cbeebies and some of the deleterious rubbish shown on the commercial channels.

I like not having adverts on the BBC. And I hugely value the public service approach to TV programming. BBC documentaries are a zillion times better and more balanced than the stuff on the other channels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now