Talk

Advanced search

To not want to buy my dd new hockey socks

(11 Posts)
Chopstheduck Wed 10-Oct-12 07:48:41

Apparently the school has changed the style and apparently now she needs new ones. I do not wish to replace socks that are perfectly good still and being sold up to at least Easter of last term.

I really don't understand the sock clampdown, the school mentioned that a new sports uniform was coming in at the beginning of the term, but said no new styles would be available until the old styles had been sold out, but now they are requiring new style socks.

I know it's only a pair of socks, (even though I don't usually pay anywhere near £5.50 for a pair shocks!) and there are bigger issues but I don't think it is fair to bring in new uniform and immediately expect everyone to fork out for a new style with no cross over time.

I'm also worried that I will end up having to replace the rest of the PE kit at around £100 for logoed items <sigh>

GrimmaTheNome Wed 10-Oct-12 08:02:31

YANBU - whenever DDs school changed various items of uniform, there was a long transition period, especially for sports kit.

It seems totally unreasonable not to make new styles available till all the old ones were sold and then very shortly thereafter demand everyone buys the new ones.

whois Wed 10-Oct-12 08:04:23

YANBU for lessons, but for matches then I think YABU and everyone needs to be in the new kit.

Chopstheduck Wed 10-Oct-12 08:07:05

she doesn't play for the school in matches, so this is just for PE lessons.

Chopstheduck Wed 10-Oct-12 15:49:44

Well, it looks like I wasn't the only one that complained, apparently lots of parents complaned and the school have backtracked on the request.

However, today dd was told if she didn't bring something in for Harvest festival on Friday, she would be given detention. WTF???? angry

I don't bother with harvest festival, I'm not christian, so don't really do Harvest Festival at all as a celebration, and in any case we have our own ways if our family of donating food and money for charity. I prefer to give how and when I want.

How on earth can the school be allowed to threaten this??

Remotecontrolduck Wed 10-Oct-12 16:00:17

Wow Chops, have you considered a different school?! This one sounds like a nightmare!

Chopstheduck Wed 10-Oct-12 17:02:18

remnotecontrolduck - I'm beginning to wonder! We actually pay a fortune in rent to be in catchment for this one, and have 3 boys sharing a room. I'm tempted to move a few miles, send at least the next 2 or 3 kids to a different school where they could walk to school, quite good ofstead and the boys could have a bedroom each. <sigh>

theodorakis Wed 10-Oct-12 17:10:44

Thank you for your thread title. What a relief in the middle of all the bunfights. An important issue nonetheless. I wouldn't want to but if it was going to be embarrasing i probably would. best to stir up a revolt at the gates and get all parents to refuse to change. I will help make the banners.

theodorakis Wed 10-Oct-12 17:18:20

We can have a picket at the gates and wear the socks on our hands and sing songs. (please wash said socks first).

seriously though, why not speak to other parents and take it further. It may only be socks but we used to be houseparents at a private school and they used to change the strip when they needed to increase revenue.

Chopstheduck Wed 10-Oct-12 17:36:05

Lots of parents DID complain apparently, and so they backtracked on it.

Sock pickett lines would def have been the way to go though! winkgrin

They are vile things too - gold and navy! I do wonder if the new style are any better! I guess it is probably due to their new academy status <rolleyes>

redwhiteandblueeyedsusan Wed 10-Oct-12 18:53:48

that school gets better and better. (rread the harvest thread first)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now