Talk

Advanced search

to wonder what it is that they dont want us knowing about by making us all concentrate on the saville history.

(15 Posts)
stitch Wed 10-Oct-12 07:18:35

Because I dont understand the point of it. The man is dead. He cant be brought to justice. Yes, the system can be, and the others who helped him cover up might be brought down, but why wait until he was gone to bring it all out into the open like this?
I'm just wondering what the bigger story is that they just dont want in the public eye right now

Thistledew Wed 10-Oct-12 07:20:58

Who is "they"?

stitch Wed 10-Oct-12 07:21:47

government? media whatever.

ginmakesitallok Wed 10-Oct-12 07:22:40

Why do you think there is a bigger story??

scaevola Wed 10-Oct-12 07:23:46

I do wonder why the media didn't go for this. Our fearless phone hacking media!

I frankly don't believe the "but think of the charidees" line: a good tabloid appeal raises as much, if not more.

Rosebud05 Wed 10-Oct-12 07:24:02

There are plenty of 'big stories' around.

How much bigger than the sexual abuse of young children by a self-proclaimed media saint at publically funded institutions do you want?

Hitler couldn't be brought to justice, so do you think we should just all try to forget about WW2?

JakeBullet Wed 10-Oct-12 07:26:24

I think there are others still alive quaking in their boots right now....Freddie Starr for one. Yes JS is dead but there are others who are not and this needs blowing right open.

Ad fwiw, these allegations surfaced from time to time while he was alive, the difference is that he is no longer around to bring any undue influence into the process. Finally people can talk about what happened and as one person has been brave enough so another has come along.....and another......and another.. None of them being silenced anymore.

There is no "bigger story", this in its own is big enough.

Although some websites make allegations about political figures etc too.

sixlostmonkeys Wed 10-Oct-12 07:28:45

It doesn't matter that he's dead - his victims are still alive.
The enquiries are taking place with the intention of getting help for the victims.
The very nature of it all dictated that it wouldn't come out until after his death.

SomedayIllFlyAway Wed 10-Oct-12 07:37:35

YANBU. The same thought crossed my mind.

At the moment, I don't think there is a bigger story, certainly not from the Government. BUT the minute the Government decide to push for an inquiry into it, then my alarm bells will be ringing. It may not be this year though - look at the phone hacking and ministerial expenses scandals, both were old news by the time an inquiry was started into them, and at the same time the Government sent through / made changes which were generally unpopular. They are very good at using smoke and mirrors IMO.

But I do agree, that allegations were made when he was alive, and he was also quizzed by police too, but for one reason or another nothing ever came from it.

halfnhalf Wed 10-Oct-12 07:43:53

YANBU.
While I think it is an important story, I also think the press are giving it extra coverage because of the Leverson Enquiry (implicitly saying that we have to have an untramelled press because otherwise this kind of thing would not be uncovered in the future. and, yes, I do realise the contradiction in this, in that it wasn't reported, but just feel this is the presses' way of saying that they need a free hand.)

SoleSource Wed 10-Oct-12 08:24:07

JS well no need to state what we know about him in my post but I have wondered whom else is involved that is still alive and just as well known.

I know of a certain radio DJ....

ScarahStratton Wed 10-Oct-12 09:54:03

I'll throw in 2 politicians, TH and CS. Think sailing, and enormously fat.

And as the survivor of a rape who only went to the police decades after it happened, I feel comfortable in stating that it doesn't matter that he's dead, it doesn't matter that justice won't catch up with him, what matters is being believed, being acknowledged, knowing that the truth about your attacker/abuser is out and people know them for the filth they are.

Particularly, I would say, when your abuser has been held up as some sort of saint.

Sassybeast Wed 10-Oct-12 09:56:26

He is dead but his victims are alive. As are those who colluded with him, covered for him and assisted him. I would bet my life that there are any number of influential people quaking in their pathetic little boots right now and I hope that the victims get justice.

I believe them.

kittyandthegoldenfontanelles Wed 10-Oct-12 09:58:37

Mr Icke is that you?

SeveredEdMcDunnough Wed 10-Oct-12 09:58:46

I wish these threads about that bastard would stop. I don't want to see his name everywhere. I keep hiding them and then another ones pops up.

If you don't care about it, and think it's all a waste of time, then please just stop talking about it or saying it doesn't matter/isn't a story in its own right.

plenty of people do care, plenty of people are sickened by it.

I don't mean to offend. I just don't want to think about this at all and wish people would leave it unless they are affected.

Sorry. Will hide this one now as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now