Talk

Advanced search

To wish someone would speak to Cameron and Osbourne like this? Australian PM calls opposition leader a mysogynist

(16 Posts)
kim147 Tue 09-Oct-12 22:51:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NewNames Tue 09-Oct-12 22:55:56

If only a woman had stood for leader with Labour

<< dusts off CV >>

TakingTheStairs Tue 09-Oct-12 23:01:31

I love how he smirks and laughs when she starts speaking and then realises that he better take it seriously

She is my new hero.

Leftwingharpie Tue 09-Oct-12 23:09:22

Wow that was awesome!

BigWitchLegsInWailyTights Tue 09-Oct-12 23:10:41

That woman is a silly cow though. She has done nothing for the way the Aboriginal population are treated and when she was recently dragged away in an overly dramatic fashion from about 3 Aboriginal protesters, she lost even more of my respect.

Yes they banged on the glass... Guardian video here but there were hardly any people there actually protesting and number of them were elders...old men.

She allowed her dignity to be crushed by heavy handed bodyguards.

OnwardBound Tue 09-Oct-12 23:20:13

Yeah, you go girl!

Although I have no idea what the history is behind her righteous indignation?

Can someone enlighten me?

TakingTheStairs Wed 10-Oct-12 08:50:13

She explains it in the video.
Basically the guy that she is tearing strips off wants to expel a member of his party for sexist texts he sent which made it into the media.
He is saying that he won't stand for that kind of behaviour while he is guilty of the exact same behaviour.

qo Wed 10-Oct-12 08:58:50

Onwardbound...

www.news.com.au/national/revealed-what-peter-slippers-sexist-text-messages-actually-said/story-fndo4eg9-1226492172640

tryingtoleave Wed 10-Oct-12 09:02:24

Gillard is leading a minority govt. she strengthened her position by putting a disgraced member of the opposition (who the opposition were trying to get rid of) in the position of speaker. This mp, Peter Slipper is involved in a long running court case. Through the case a whole lot of fairly disgusting, sexist text messages that he sent emerged. Instead of condemning him, gillard tried to defend Slipper and attacked the leader of the opposition instead.

Nancy66 Wed 10-Oct-12 09:04:18

God she has an awful voice.....

tryingtoleave Wed 10-Oct-12 09:06:58

Abbot ( the leader of the opposition) is conservative on social issues. He is nothing like Slipper. Gillard has consistently acted in a pragmatic way, which conflicts with her purported principles, and this is just the most recent example (her defence of slipper, that is).

tryingtoleave Wed 10-Oct-12 09:08:06

Her voice isn't even real - early recordings show she had a much more mc accent. She developed this accent to appear more labour.

coorong Sat 13-Oct-12 12:03:35

Tony Abbott has never thought of women as his equal (see the quotes in Gillard's speech) and his interviews and his sneering at women over the decades have to be seen to be believed.
It doesn't matter which side of politics you sit, you can't accept sexism. Cameron's "calm down dear" paint him in a similar light. Labour can be as bad,

But Abbott views women as inherently less able then men - "make an honest woman of yourself" - who on earth can consider a man who says things like that as a prime minister!

MyLastDuchess Sat 13-Oct-12 13:16:16

Tryingtoleave, are you Australian? I would argue that we (Australians) don't have that much of a class distinction in our accents, certainly nothing like the UK. Take my mother for example, who had an upper middle class upbringing and frankly her accent is almost as strong as Gillard's. While accent can be a bit of a class indicator, it's not at all like England where you can pretty much 'place' someone the moment they open their mouth!

Also the Australian Labor Party is spelled like that, the US way, for some random odd reason confused

tryingtoleave Sat 13-Oct-12 13:24:10

Yes, I am Australian, and I would say that there are subtle differences in accent and that it is often possible to class someone by their accent. Certainly, gillard's accent has been commented on a lot as being unusually broad.

I wrote 'labour' referring to class, rather than the party.

OnwardBound Sat 13-Oct-12 22:56:41

I am also Australian [originally] and agree that there are subtle differences in the Australian accent based on both region and to some extent class.

So someone from rural far north Queensland often sounds quite different to someone from Melbourne city.

And someone in a 'working class' profession, ie a truck driver often speaks more broad 'Aussie', and with more colloquialisms, than a middle class Doctor or university lecturer.

In my experience anyway.

Julia Gillard does have a pretty horrid accent but not all Australians sound that flat and nasal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now