Talk

Advanced search

to expect DH to wear rubber gloves when cleaning out the cat litter?

(18 Posts)
nightowlmostly Tue 09-Oct-12 22:01:18

As above really, he won't, and we argue about it now and again. He says there's no need as he cleans his hands thoroughly after, I say why wouldn't you, it's more hygienic. He reckons the cats lick their bums and then their fur, we stroke them and don't clean our hands after so what's the difference?

I'm not sure now, what do you think?

Myliferocks Tue 09-Oct-12 22:04:03

The only time I have worn rubber gloves to empty the cat's litter was when I was pregnant. These days I just make sure I wash my hands thoroughly after.

eurowitch Tue 09-Oct-12 22:05:47

When we look after our neighbour's cats, we just make sure we wash our hands thoroughly afterwards. I'd never considered wearing gloves.

procrastinor Tue 09-Oct-12 22:06:26

Afraid I'm with your DH on this. I don't wear gloves and just wash my hands with proper hand wash afterwards (not smelly stuff, but stuff with antibacterial stuff).

HKat Tue 09-Oct-12 22:06:50

Gloves aren't necessary - soap and water afterwards will do the trick

Sparklingbrook Tue 09-Oct-12 22:07:03

I never do. I don't stick my hands in the poo-just scoop it with the shovelly thing. Then wash hands after.

HazleNutt Tue 09-Oct-12 22:07:25

Never worn gloves. I don't wear them when going to toilet either. Oh and wouldn't clean the litter box with bare hands.

LFCisTarkaDahl Tue 09-Oct-12 22:07:45

I don't wear gloves as I'd hate the gloves to be hanging round after.

Also I'd have to wash the gloves and my hands. And I was taught to handwash properly at college on nurses training.

I've handled a lot worse than cat shit and washed after.

NathanDetroit Tue 09-Oct-12 22:08:23

I only wear gloves if they've shit all over the tray and I fear the poo will leap on to my bare skin (not reasonable, I know). Just wash your hands after. As long as you're not getting the handle of the scoop/spade in the crap I don't see the problem.

BeatTheClock Tue 09-Oct-12 22:09:20

I don't wear gloves either. Wash them afterwards though.

Sparklingbrook Tue 09-Oct-12 22:09:28

Who is going to wash the gloves?

nightowlmostly Tue 09-Oct-12 22:10:22

hazlenutt I am talking about cleaning the whole box out, washing it. Is that what you mean?

As for everyone else, I'm glad you've said that, I will still wear the gloves though! And they do get washed in bleachy water after, and I wash my hands too. Am I clean freak? If you saw my house you really wouldn't think so!

nightowlmostly Tue 09-Oct-12 22:11:25

It's not just scooping out the poo that I'm on about, it's emptying the litter and cleaning the tray.

BeatTheClock Tue 09-Oct-12 22:21:54

I wish I could have this discussion in my house. The cats belong to dd's but strangely it's only me who deals with the litter box and dh wouldn't touch it with a bargepole hmm

YouMayLogOut Tue 09-Oct-12 23:34:08

YANBU

BigWitchLegsInWailyTights Wed 10-Oct-12 00:29:22

Yabu. I never wear gloves. Emptying, washing...but then i use liners...far easier as you don't get a manky tray so washing is rare with the whole tray. I just rinse it every time with boiling water.

deleted203 Wed 10-Oct-12 00:36:59

Why would you give a monkey's what he wears/doesn't wear? It's him who'll get cat crap on his hands in a worst case scenario, not you. And then he'll wash them. I'd just be bloody grateful it was him cleaning it out and not me.

PedanticPanda Wed 10-Oct-12 00:55:43

As long as he washes his hands afterwards its fine, yabu.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now