Talk

Advanced search

Is my DH being unreasonable, or am I, about the tooth fairy?

(10 Posts)
parakeet Tue 09-Oct-12 19:21:25

I am in the shit because I have 'fessed up to 7-year-old daughter about the tooth fairy. She came to me and said "Mummy, where does the pound come from? I think it's you." I prevaricated a bit, saying something like, "What do you think?" but then I basically spilled the beans by saying "Well, it's nice to pretend there are fairies isn't it."

She promptly burst into tears.

DH is not happy, thinks I should have carried on the pretence. Is he the one being unreasonable or am I? I will show him the replies, so we await the MN verdict.

Thewidewideworld Tue 09-Oct-12 19:24:07

Your DH is UR. I have always operated on the basis of ready to ask, ready to know. She asked.

CailinDana Tue 09-Oct-12 19:24:26

It's a really unpopular view but I'm against doing things like the tooth fairy at all, precisely because of situations like this. I hated all the stupid lying when I was a child and felt a fool when I realised the truth. With my own children I intend to say "we pretend the tooth fairy comes..." so they have the story and the excitement but not the lying.

N0tinmylife Tue 09-Oct-12 19:24:52

I don't think either of you are. You were put on the spot, and did the best you could, but it would have been nice to carry it on for a bit longer. They all have to find out eventually!

stealthsquiggle Tue 09-Oct-12 19:28:59

It's impossible to know what the DC wants though - we went through this with DS and FC. He expressed doubts, I started waffling about myths, and it turned out what DS wanted was "don't be silly, of course it's real" sad.

You can't win - you did your best, and your DH is BU in giving you a hard time about it.

nicki1978 Tue 09-Oct-12 19:29:10

I'm with widewideworld; if there ready to ask there ready to know.

My sister finally told her daughter, last year, at 8 years old about santa; she didn't want her going through school believing something real when it wasn't so she didn't get bullied.

There's only so long that you can keep up the pretence of make believe. Xx

doinmummy Tue 09-Oct-12 19:43:03

I had the Tooth Fairy and Father Christmas thrown in my face. When I pulled DD up on telling fibs she came out with" well you lied about the Tooth zfairy"

inkyfingers Tue 09-Oct-12 19:44:51

Make believe is a strange thing. Xmas eve we're all believers in this house. When teeth came out the tooth fairy was crap at remembering to pay up. The kids knew at some point, but we didn't admit it, and the magic stayed. Your DD will get over it, but still do the £ under the pillow thing for her!

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 09-Oct-12 19:49:53

OH MY FUCKING GOD im now having a breakdown,did you know that means you murdered a fairy i demand you tell us your address so i can call the police grin.

actually obviously im joking but imho im with dh here 7 is still very little i would have maintained it was real untill at least 9

parakeet Tue 09-Oct-12 19:57:01

To be fair DH is not giving me a really hard time but is "disappointed". He also points out what are we going to do when this happens re Santa? Also we have a younger sibling.

Funnily enough the tears stopped after five minutes btw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now