Talk

Advanced search

to send my son to live with his dad?

(19 Posts)
mummypig189 Tue 09-Oct-12 18:35:09

My four year old may have whooping cough,
cough started yesterday went to docs today.who said its a.possibility and prescribed anti-b.
Now i gave birth to ds3 a week ago and to say.im.terrified. In case he catches.it is.an understatment i also.have ds2 who.was 2 in sept.

Wibu if i sent my son to live with hos dad.for as long as he is infectious?
Obviously i want to be there for him and he o.ly ever wants me when he is ill so it would be hrd to leave him,but im. So.scared for mainly ds3, he is so tiny and couldnt imagine him being as ill.as.he would.be.with wc.
But im left feeling shit because im lea ing my boy alone.when he is.poorly sad

Help.me please

HecateLarpo Tue 09-Oct-12 18:36:04

How long are they infectious for?

mummypig189 Tue 09-Oct-12 18:37:32

Apoligies for typos on my phone

mummypig189 Tue 09-Oct-12 18:39:23

No idea, if anyone can give me some advice on wc that would be great

Shutupanddrive Tue 09-Oct-12 18:43:52

It sounds like a sensible idea, but I suppose it depends how upset DS would be with it. Could you tell him he is going on holiday to daddies for a few days?

HecateLarpo Tue 09-Oct-12 18:44:57

ok. did a bit of googling

there's this

and this

seems they are most infectious for the first 3 weeks and it lasts for up to 3 months

and here, about infants

more about infants

You need to talk to your gp. obviously you don't want to send your little boy to stay with his dad when he's ill, but equally, if there is a risk to the newborn that can't be managed effectively with infection control procedures, you have to talk about that possibility.

Google is your friend and your foe. You can read enough to give you some info and enough to scare you to death. Take what you read as your starting point when getting proper medical advice.

HecateLarpo Tue 09-Oct-12 18:45:47

I don't mean there's anything wrong with his dad, or he's not a capable parent, btw, I just meant in relation to what you said about how your child feels.

McHappyPants2012 Tue 09-Oct-12 18:46:21

Will he stay with his dad when ill. If so it sounds like a good idea.

However I would try and keep the children separate

NatashaBee Tue 09-Oct-12 18:46:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shutupanddrive Tue 09-Oct-12 18:47:11

I have just googled it and apparently it would be for about 5 days while they have the antibiotics. Also siblings can be immunised against it, but not sure if a week is too young for that. Ring your GP or NHS direct and ask their advice. Hope you are all ok. My DS has had it a few times, it's horrible!

mummypig189 Tue 09-Oct-12 18:56:06

Does.any one.know. If i had the vaccination if i would pass on any immunity because im bf?

HecateLarpo Tue 09-Oct-12 18:59:42

click here

apparently not. Scroll down to "Does breastfeeding protect my baby from whooping cough?"

and here

it seems there is no evidence to suggest that is effective.

When you see your GP, you can ask them

HeadlessForHalloween Tue 09-Oct-12 19:01:55

I would. He is his dad. He will still have a parent taking care of him. I would be worried too . Mine are all older now but if this had happened whn mine were babies I would probably have asked the inlaws to have the poorly dc.

HeadlessForHalloween Tue 09-Oct-12 19:03:34

He won't be alone, and you would be doing the right thing for your family. Don't let yourself feel guilty smile

I was sent to my nan when I got it, my tiny sister was a few weeks old. I was 4 and although I remember it very clearly I also remember the reason why and I don't have any bad feelings to my parents. not on that occasion anyway

Also, did you have the WC jab in pg because that could very well be a factor in reducing risk to the new baby?

Sassybeast Tue 09-Oct-12 19:06:29

I think it would be a sensible precaution if it's logistically doable.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/whooping-cough/pages/introduction.aspx

Hope he's okay and your little ones escape.

insanityscratching Tue 09-Oct-12 19:12:37

I would, ds caught whooping cough at six weeks it was very scary. My others had been immunised so didn't get it so assume he caught it from the school run. Knowing how infectious it was for him, I'd definitely get his Dad to care for ds. I think he will no longer be infectious once he's taken the antibiotics from what I remember (ds is nearly 18 now)

taxiforme Tue 09-Oct-12 19:14:21

You have my sympathies, my DH caught it off his DD in the Spring. She came to stay with us! DD2 and DS did not catch it, neither did I despite sleeping in the same bed as DH.

It was terrible for him, but his DD (16) had a much milder version.

I think it is probably the right thing to do, to put your mind at rest at the very least, you must be tired and stressed, bless you. As long as DS and exDP are ok with it and he will be looked after- he will probably enjoy it. Kids often feel "special" even if what you are making them do is a necessity!

ihatethecold Tue 09-Oct-12 19:24:35

I feel for you. My dd9 has got whooping cough. The coughing is relentless at times. It makes her sick.
She is back at school now but is still very tired. sad
We think we have another 60 days to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now