Talk

Advanced search

Is a 30 minute meal time cut off reasonable?

(18 Posts)
FireBlade918 Tue 09-Oct-12 17:07:42

My daughter, 15 months old, insists on feeding herself. If you try and help her then she’ll throw a hissy fit or chuck it on the floor. She’s even using forks and spoons as well as fingers. The problem is that it can take up to an hour to get through dinner. Last night I had to reheat the food because it was stone cold.

By the time I finish work, collect her from Nursery and get her home its 6pm. I would like her to be in bed by 8pm so that she gets a good night sleep. Up at 6am so 10 hours sleep.

As well as feeding there is cooking (30-45 minutes) to be done, bath time (15-30 minutes) & story time (15-30 minutes).
Min 30+15+15= 1 Hour.
Max 45+30+30=1Hr 45Min.
Average = 1Hr 22.5Min.

If Average time for admin = 1:22.5 + 30min for eating then total =1:52.5 or say about 2 hours which will get her head down for 8pm.

But - is it reasonable to enforce a 30 minute cut off time for eating? I’d hate the thought that she might go hungry but at the same time she needs her sleep so needs to learn to eat quicker!

Thanks
FB.

MummifiedBonkeyMollocks Tue 09-Oct-12 17:09:40

Ok there are too many numbers in that for me....but half hour is, and always has been, our cut off time!

NettoSpookerstar Tue 09-Oct-12 17:13:11

I'd leave her to it, and don't reheat if she's happy with it cold.

I would cook quicker meals and do a quicker story time though.

MummifiedBonkeyMollocks Tue 09-Oct-12 17:15:41

Just re-read tried too , if your dd is 15months old then do what Netto said. I wouldn't bother re-heating, kids don't care.

When they get older and start farting around....then 30mins but for now let her be. Maybe cook and freeze meals so a quick re-heat and your done!

StrangeGlue Tue 09-Oct-12 17:18:35

Does it really take min 30 mins to cook dinner? I think I'd also cut stories to 15 mins.

If you want to limit it to 30 mins then do but don't bother reheating food and work down to it by cutting off 5 mins at a time.

Sirzy Tue 09-Oct-12 17:21:12

Don't reheat it but certainly don't rush her to eat it.

Does she really need a bath every night if you are trying to save time?

FireBlade918 Wed 10-Oct-12 16:18:13

??? Yes she needs a bath every night! smile

Meatballs, chips, corn & gravey. 26 minutes last night!

Thanks everyone,
FB.

You know bathing every night is bad for skin?

SuperSesame Wed 10-Oct-12 16:24:51

I sometimes would freeze a nights dinner in advance so, for instance, I'd cook spag bol on Monday night, freeze some portions, then DC eat frozen spag bol on Tuesday night while I cook dinner for us (and freeze more portions for next night). This way, I'm with them in the kitchen nibbling/chatting/cooking while they eat their dinner. It can simmer away while I do bath/bed. It works for us when stuck for time.

Bonsoir Wed 10-Oct-12 16:26:48

I would cook her something very simple - grilled chicken and vegetables, pasta in tomato sauce.

Read her a story while she is in her bath and another 5 minute one in bed.

DefiniteMaybe Wed 10-Oct-12 16:27:07

a 15mo baby who self feeds certainly does need a bath every day!

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Wed 10-Oct-12 16:29:37

What are they feeding her at nursery?

If she is getting proper healthy snacks there then I wouldn't worry about what has been left after 30 minutes.

Mrskbpw Wed 10-Oct-12 16:29:59

Can she not eat at nursery? My boys have always had their evening meal at the childminder or nursery. I pick them up just after 6pm.

FredFredGeorge Wed 10-Oct-12 16:33:09

Our 15mo old baby who self feeds does not get a bath nor need one every day - why would she?

RubyFakeNails Wed 10-Oct-12 16:33:20

Slash story time and bath time by half.

30 minute cut off is fine but I think you shouldn't be reheating, you should maybe try and reduce cooking time to always under 30 mins (maybe batch cook, or do it at the weekend and freeze).

DefiniteMaybe Wed 10-Oct-12 16:50:34

My dd ends up covered in food. From head to toe. She's always filthy by the end of the day.

CailinDana Wed 10-Oct-12 16:58:22

I wouldn't have a cut off time if she's still eating and not farting around. It's great that she wants to feed herself and is persistent enough to keep going after half an hour. I'd be more inclined to leave the bath out and just give her a good wipe down before bed if time is an issue.

Claire2009 Wed 10-Oct-12 17:00:52

Is it worth doing a meal in a slow cooker so it's ready when you get home?

I wouldn't heat up though, Ds was feeding himself at 12mths, I left him to it. Even now at 5yrs old he takes ages to eat, I tend to feed him after a while but left to it he'd take 45mins-1hr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now