Advanced search

to ask you all to please help me out here. My mother is insisting this is true ...

(95 Posts)
fluffyraggies Tue 09-Oct-12 16:40:44

..... that if you get hospital treatment as a result of a traffic accident you have to PAY for it. And if you cant pay for it you have have to claim off your car insurance.

Ay ???????

I have never in all my days heard this ?!?!? I was confused and hmm when she said it.

I've been driving for years and have always sorted my own car insurance and have never ever come across this in any of the paper work. She doesn't drive and never has. But she is adamant she's correct on this.

Am i being really thick here?

catstail Tue 09-Oct-12 20:21:47

you are charged for road traffic accident treatment because it is what third party liability insurance (what everyone has to have on their car) is allo about - recompensing the third party, ie the one who you ran over.

So if you run someone over, and you have insurance, then I dont see why the nhs shouldnt claim for that

BegoniaBampot Tue 09-Oct-12 20:33:48

I just find it all really strange. Why would they be able to charge for a traffic accident but not someone with a smoking or drinking obesity related disease. What about if I cut my hand with I kitchen knife, isn't it my carelessness? Really surprised about this though had heard something about paying for ambulances.

fluffyraggies Tue 09-Oct-12 20:35:18

I still haven't got as far as having an opinion on the rights and wrong of it all yet - i'm still just shock

(pleased to discover i'm not the only person in the uk to whom this whole thing is news grin Midlands here too)

apostropheuse Tue 09-Oct-12 20:41:35

You can be charged for the ambulance.

A few years ago a little girl run in front of my father''s car and he hit her and she suffered a broken leg. The ambulance of course came and brought her into hospital.

There was, strangely enough, no damage to my father's car so he didn't call the insurance company. The police were there and took a statement from witnesses etc. He was in a bit of a state at the time about the little girl and more worrying about her.

Anyway, a couple of weeks later he received a bill for £700 for the ambulance. He then phoned his insurers who said he should have let them know immediately, but they did cover it. They told him that in cases where it wasn't the fault of the insured person there was some kind of fund that an insurance body (can't remember the name of it) had - and so he didn't lose his no claims bonuses as the accident had not been his fault.

Viperidae Tue 09-Oct-12 20:42:22

DS's car was written off in an accident last year. Luckily he was unhurt but rang his GP as he was aching and bruised, GP told him sounded ok but to go to A&E if concerned and expect to be charged.

Sassybeast Tue 09-Oct-12 20:44:33

But will you admit that you're wrong to your mother ? grin

thenightsky Tue 09-Oct-12 20:46:24

I got a bill when I was the middle car in a 5 car pile up and had to be cut free. My insurance company dealt with it though by claiming off the driver who was behind me.

A friend of mine caused an accident involving a number of cars and drivers and she kept getting bills for ambulances and x-rays in the post for months afterwards. She nearly had a nervous breakdown at the cost. Her insurance company told her to just post them all off to them.

I think people who have never head of this are the ones whose insurance companies just deal with it behind the scenes.

TalkinPeace2 Tue 09-Oct-12 20:47:29

The NHS has been recovering the cost of ambulance fees from at fault drivers since at least the mid 1980's
It used to be a nominal fee but is not any more.
It is the AMBULANCE TRUST who will chase for the costs, not the hospital.

Hospital costs linked to personal injury claims are also (I believe) recovered now.

thenightsky Tue 09-Oct-12 20:47:42

Oh... I meant to say... my accident was 27 years ago, so it's not a recent thing.

Tuttutitlookslikerain Tue 09-Oct-12 20:49:44

I've had 2 car accidents. Both times I've attended A&E, once in an ambulance, the other my dad took me. I was sent a bill both times. This was at least 20 years ago!

apostropheuse Tue 09-Oct-12 20:54:29

oh sorry, I was a little inaccurate in my earlier post...

My dad was initially charged £50 for the ambulance, which he paid himself as he thought it would affect his no-claims bonus

He was later charged the £700 for the girl's treatment, which the insurance company's association paid as he was not at fault.

sunflowerseeds Tue 09-Oct-12 20:56:30

My father was killed in a car accident. My mother got a bill for the ambulance, addressed to him. My 20 year old brother was given a bag of all our father's clothes by the hospital.

Jenstar21 Tue 09-Oct-12 20:57:26

Another one here who was charged. About 15 years ago, when I was a passenger in a car accident. We went to hospital by our own steam, but we were charged for X-rays. The insurance company paid for it, once we passed the bill on.

catstail Tue 09-Oct-12 20:59:01

then can charge for it because it is insured, they wouldnt (at the moment!!) charge us for emergency rta, but can claw it back from an insurer. no claw back for knife injuries as we are not insured against them

fluffyraggies Tue 09-Oct-12 21:04:06

He was later charged the £700 for the girl's treatment, which the insurance company's association paid as he was not at fault.

So i'm presuming if he was at fault, apost, his insurance co. would have paid but he would have lost his no claims?

Sassy - i never said to mum that she was wrong exactly .... just that i'd never heard of it wink

Councils can claim under the Road Traffic Act for damage to their street furniture (ie lighting columns, bollards, signs etc etc). Police called out automatically pass the driver's name and details on to the local authority so they can be billed.

I didn't know about the ambulance thing, though!

MrsDeVere Tue 09-Oct-12 21:05:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fluffyraggies Tue 09-Oct-12 21:05:12

I'm so sorry to hear that sunflower thanks

Lavenderhoney Tue 09-Oct-12 21:09:38

Many years ago a tai driver jumped the lights and smashed into the front of my car. I was cut out and taken to hospital by ambulance. I received a bill for the ambulance and was told to send it to my insurance company who dealt with it.

fluffyraggies Tue 09-Oct-12 21:11:50

I've now been told about a woman who has been charged £3000 by a highways agency for a road inspection. More shock

Apparently she spun on a multi lane carriageway in the wet and ended up facing the wrong way on the hard shoulder. She called the police to help her turn her car as she was nervous of disrupting fast moving traffic. No damage to anything or anyone. She later receives this £3000 bill from the highways agency as a fee for the 'call out' to inspect the road which is obligatory following police involvement in an 'incident'!

procrastinor Tue 09-Oct-12 21:23:24

Huh I did not know this. I did know that doctors can charge if they are the first to see you after an accident (I think if it's within 24 hrs). So technically all A&E doctors could charge (which I find pretty shocking). I don't know anybody who has though!

apostropheuse Tue 09-Oct-12 21:30:08

Yes fluffy, that's what the insurance company told him anyway!

TheFogsGettingThicker Tue 09-Oct-12 21:37:25

shock Sunflowerseeds, that's so awful. I'm so sorry.

ButtonBoo Tue 09-Oct-12 21:49:48

I got the bill for the ambulance after my 'friend' crashed her car and I had to be cut out of the vehicle.

As she was already having to claim on her insurance as it was entirely her fault (she crashed into the back of a parked car!) I asked to add this in to the claim. She refused. No real idea why but it was clearly not for discussion. I paid for it. We are no longer friends.

I didn't pay any hospital bill though. Even got to keep my fancy neck collar. Whoopee!

Ajaney Tue 09-Oct-12 22:28:44

I was in a car accident in 2001. A car spun on ice and hit me. I was ok but the other driver had to be cut out of car. There were 2 police cars, 2 ambulances and a fire engine in attendance. The other parties insurers were billed for the cost of those services attending as its was referred to in a copy of a letter between the solicitors which I got sent by mistake. It just listed the response service rather than any medical treatment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now