Advanced search

to ask you all to please help me out here. My mother is insisting this is true ...

(95 Posts)
fluffyraggies Tue 09-Oct-12 16:40:44

..... that if you get hospital treatment as a result of a traffic accident you have to PAY for it. And if you cant pay for it you have have to claim off your car insurance.

Ay ???????

I have never in all my days heard this ?!?!? I was confused and hmm when she said it.

I've been driving for years and have always sorted my own car insurance and have never ever come across this in any of the paper work. She doesn't drive and never has. But she is adamant she's correct on this.

Am i being really thick here?

Poledra Tue 09-Oct-12 16:42:41

You can get charged for the ambulance transport. Some years ago, a friend of mine knocked a seriously pissed pedestrian who stepped out in front of her. My friend got a bill from the hospital for the ambulance shock

She passed it onto her insurance, and it was dealt with by them.

WinklyFriedChicken Tue 09-Oct-12 16:42:51

In the UK? On the NHS? As a UK national or someone with leave to remain? No of course not! not yet anyway

MyLastDuchess Tue 09-Oct-12 16:43:32

Nonsense. If that was the case everyone would be suing each other for medical expenses, and people would lie to doctors about how they sustained their injuries.

doinmummy Tue 09-Oct-12 16:44:08

NHS - it's all free

ThreeEdgedSword Tue 09-Oct-12 16:44:11

Nope, total rubbish, car insurance wouldn't pay for hospital treatment (hence CAR insurance, not car crash insurance). Besides, this is why we have the NHS, surely a traffic accident is an accident and/or emergency...

sausagesandwich34 Tue 09-Oct-12 16:44:19

yes it is true -I got billed for it and passed it on to my insurance about 7 years ago

my friend had an accident last year involving some traffic lights and got billed for the ambulance and the traffic lights!

CheeseandPickledOnion Tue 09-Oct-12 16:44:23

Absolute bollocks.

fluffyraggies Tue 09-Oct-12 16:44:38

Yes, the UK! Yes, as a UK national!

Oooh Poledra - was that in the UK?

sausagesandwich34 Tue 09-Oct-12 16:44:56

it's not for the hospital treatment, just the ambulance

doinmummy Tue 09-Oct-12 16:45:06

You do not get billed for hospital treatment

doinmummy Tue 09-Oct-12 16:45:45

If that was the case then the NHS would not be in such financial trouble

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Tue 09-Oct-12 16:46:32

No, treatment at A and E is free for everyone regardless of why they are there. You can be charged for an ambulance if the injury is deemed not serious enough for an ambulance though.

fluffyraggies Tue 09-Oct-12 16:46:34

sausage? really? Was that private medical care though?

I've heard about people getting billed for road damage...

GoldenLlama Tue 09-Oct-12 16:46:52

I was in a road accident years ago and I got charged for getting checked out by A+E (I didn't go in an ambulance). It wasn't much (£20ish) but it was 20 years ago now so my memory is a bit hazy.

scurryfunge Tue 09-Oct-12 16:46:56

I think the NHS can recover costs if injury compensation is awarded from the insurer.

Whitecherry Tue 09-Oct-12 16:47:15

I have heard of this too ( being charged for the ambulance)

Poledra Tue 09-Oct-12 16:47:23

Yup, in the UK. He tried to sue her for his injuries too, despite that fact he was sooooo pissed he could barely string two words together. Luckily, a pair of wee wifies who'd been waiting for the bus nearby were more than prepared to testify that there was nothing she could have done to avoid him as he waltzed out into the traffic. His case didn't make it to court...

doinmummy Tue 09-Oct-12 16:47:29

There would be checkouts at the exits.

CheeseandPickledOnion Tue 09-Oct-12 16:48:22

I take back my bollocks. It looks like you can be charged ambulance charges. But not treatment costs.

Hopeforever Tue 09-Oct-12 16:48:27

This is about 10 years old, so pre the conservatives

doinmummy Tue 09-Oct-12 16:49:16

It sounds like its insurance companies trying to get compensation. You do not have to pay the NHS for treatment.

NovackNGood Tue 09-Oct-12 16:51:04

You can and it was brought in by Labour.

fluffyraggies Tue 09-Oct-12 16:52:25

Under the old system, the NHS could claim a flat-rate fee of £21.30 for emergency treatment, but under the new system it can claim much more - £354.

The NHS can also recover the costs of hospital admissions. Insurers are charged £435 per day with a maximum charge of £10,000 in any one case.


from the link above.

digerd Tue 09-Oct-12 16:57:29

A few days before my marriage on Xmas Eve, I got palpitations and my arm went numb and phoned Emergency and they sent an ambulance. After several tests I was diagnosed with a panic attack, and had to take a taxi home. Later I had to pay £20 for the ambulance as it was a false alarm !!!!!! That was in 1983

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: