Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Not to make a fuss for DD's first Christmas?

(36 Posts)
Sastra Tue 09-Oct-12 15:28:44

My DD will be around 6 weeks old for her "first Christmas". DH and I were just going to get on with it as normally as possible, with a minimum of fuss. I mentioned this the other to a friend, but she looked horrified that we wouldn't be buying DD presents etc. will I look back and feel guilty that we didn't do anything?

What age does this kind of thing matter for children?

It doesn't matter a jot for the children........it seems to matter to some parents but if you and DH aren't fussed then don't bother!

My DS was 4 months old for his first Christmas.......I cannot remember for the life of me what present I got him but I do remember dressing him up as Santa blush

I have no idea what I was thinking grin

ClippedPhoenix Tue 09-Oct-12 15:31:44

You sound very sensible OP, do what you have in mind. A one year old won't recall a thing.

sooperdooper Tue 09-Oct-12 15:31:54

I think dressing him up as Santa is a great idea grin

I agree, no point going mad on pressents tho smile

AlfieBear87 Tue 09-Oct-12 15:33:36

Our ds was 4 weeks old last christmas, we just bought him a teddy that he can keep as his first Christmas present.

The inlaws on the other hand went massively OTT with a huge stocking etc etc.

Psammead Tue 09-Oct-12 15:33:51

DD2 will be 2 monthsish. There's a couple of things I want to get her but will just put it off until Christmas. I think it's different if you already have children though as I think they would find it odd that the baby gets nothing.

SpottyTeacakes Tue 09-Oct-12 15:33:52

DC2 will be about two weeks old at Christmas this year. I'm not getting him anything grin YANBU

scurryfunge Tue 09-Oct-12 15:34:13

My DS was around 3 months old for his first Christmas-family made a fuss with lots of presents because that was the first time they had seen him when we visited. We didn't bother( unless you count the Subuteo set that stayed in the cupboard for about 5 years that DH had bought).

oneofthegiantsisme Tue 09-Oct-12 15:35:05

It doesn't matter for the children, but you may want to do something to remember it by - whether that's a keepsake present, cute outfit for her, or special day out (if you have the energy with a 6 week old baby!). Something for the memory box when she's older - more for your sake/her sake when she grows up than for her now.
FWIW, my DD was around 2 months at her first Christmas - which was the Millennium, and DH, being in IT, was working all the hours under the sun with the Millennium bug (remember that?). We did virtually nothing - weren't fit for it!

Psammead Tue 09-Oct-12 15:36:16

Or you could start a tradition for her - buy her a special bauble for the tree or something.

blackteaplease Tue 09-Oct-12 15:37:21

Yanbu but you might find that your family make a fuss on your behalf. Dd was 1 on xmas day and got some 2nd hand toys from us but a massive stocking from pil . Ds will be 3 months this xmas and is getting a lamaze toy and that's it.

Lorefolk Tue 09-Oct-12 15:37:23

Cripes no. Nor for her next one either!

ScaryBOOAlot Tue 09-Oct-12 15:37:38

DS was six weeks old for Christmas. I got him a few little toys, some new romper suits, a pack of nappies and some cotton wool grin

You're being very realistic. Be prepared for family and friends not to be wink

JesusInTheCabbageVan Tue 09-Oct-12 15:39:19

Calpol, Infacol, Bepanthen. Sorted!

JesusInTheCabbageVan Tue 09-Oct-12 15:40:24

Oh, or frankincense, myrhh and and and. What was the third thing? <Sleep deprived> Probably was calpol.

JamNan Tue 09-Oct-12 15:40:26

Stick to your normal routine - you have the right idea.

What age does it matter to children? It depends how you interpret Christmas really. I'd say about 3-ish when they can start to enjoy a simple story about Jesus and the Nativity, sing carols etc. I'd avoid all the crap advertising on TV though - it just winds them up.

Bananapickle Tue 09-Oct-12 15:42:57

I'm with most others, don't make too much of a fuss but maybe mark it some how.
We bought our DD a tree decoration and I put 2011 on it and I'll do the same this year but with 2012. I also bought her a nice outfit for the day.
Just a couple of ideas but if you dont want to do anything don't feel the pressure.

furrygoldone Tue 09-Oct-12 15:43:22

Bah Humbug! Are you not celebrating Christmas at all?

AWomanCalledHorse Tue 09-Oct-12 15:43:43

DS was 4 days old last Christmas. Couldn't give a flying fig about celebrating it (him & me) & he didn't get anything.

This year I cba but MIL is horrified we won't be putting a tree up or anything la di dah, don't feel bad about it!

I do know someone who took their 2 month old to see Santa hmm

elfycat Tue 09-Oct-12 15:44:24

DD1 was 10 months old for her first Christmas and we bought her a small token educational toy that we'd have bought anyway.

She'll be nearly 4 this year and she'll only get a couple of gifts from us to open a doll house and gubbins from an NCT sale and a small addition to her savings account. I'm not sure she pays that much attention to gifts once she's opened the first 2 or 3 and has overdosed on excitement. We haven't even raised the concept that she could ask for stuff with her.

It's not that we couldn't afford more but she doesn't have needs at the moment. I'm sure she'll get more expensive as she gets older.

Spuddybean Tue 09-Oct-12 15:44:30

ds will be 3 and a half months at xmas, We will buy a bauble for him and dress him up in a variety of ridiculous outfits. We already have a pumpkin one for halloween smile

Littlemissimpatient Tue 09-Oct-12 15:47:06

Could you get a little keepsake instead? Such as a little teddy or a decoration for the tree that you can keep and remember as baby's first Christmas?
Don't go mad, everyone else will, for the birth and/or Christmas so you really won't need anything

Sokmonsta Tue 09-Oct-12 15:47:20

You are lucky enough that you will get 2 Christmases where dc won't give a fig if you get her nothing more than a cardboard box to play in. Do as you wish, enjoy your day. And then prepare for the 3rd where they will know all about it. Dc were 7 months at Xmas and the twins will be 8 months. For me as long as they have some festive pjs and a stocking to fill, I'm happy and the elder 2 won't wonder why they are left out.

Xiaoxiong Tue 09-Oct-12 15:50:54

Don't worry, you won't feel guilty if you do anything - DS will never remember and if it's all going to be a bit much, don't bother.

DS was 10 days old last year - we dressed him in a red babygro that said "little reindeer" on it and took a truly horrendous family photo next to the tree I decorated in a fit of pre-natal nesting madness. DH looks pleased as punch, I look like the Hindenberg and totally out of it and DS looks like a hideous red-faced screaming gremlin. That's about as many memories as we could all bear.

<waves at AWCH smile>

Sastra Tue 09-Oct-12 15:51:32

A keep sake is a nice idea. I think DH and I just aren't that sentimental! We'll still have a nice meal, tree and a glass of champagne, but I think that's quite enough fuss! Family live very far away, so they won't be around on the day (something we both like!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now