Talk

Advanced search

To ask how many of you smoke?

(124 Posts)
Misunderstood48 Tue 09-Oct-12 13:32:47

It seems, having read previous threads that smoking was wrong.

I know smoking is bad for your health as does a majority of the other smokers.

I have a 1YO and I smoke outside a couple of times a day and all my family smoke.

I wonder how many other mums are not admitting to having a cheeky fag now and then.

Is it really wrong to do so or am I not seeing the point here?

<Puts on hard hat>

VinegarTits Tue 09-Oct-12 13:39:51

what are you asking for? do you need approval? there are consequenses in almost everything we do, its up to each individual to decide if they want to take the risks

i dont smoke because its a risk to my health and those around me but each to their own

Misunderstood48 Tue 09-Oct-12 13:44:49

What I am saying is that I have seen other mums get a bashing for saying that they went out to have a fag while looking after their DC.

I don't understand why it is so awful to do so when you have children?

If I didn't smoke would I be expected to say to people who do 'You can't hold my child sorry you've had a fag?'

Just inquisitive.

Nuttyprofessor Tue 09-Oct-12 13:47:13

I don't smoke and I don't know a single person that does.

DialMforMummy Tue 09-Oct-12 13:48:39

I smoke but only after the kids have gone to bed and I do this outside.

VinegarTits Tue 09-Oct-12 13:49:36

'If I didn't smoke would I be expected to say to people who do 'You can't hold my child sorry you've had a fag?''

why? i dont smoke im not expected to say anything of the sort

some people do get a tad hysterical about this stuff but as long as your not trying to make my kid take a drag of your fag then i have no issue with it

Clargo55 Tue 09-Oct-12 13:50:17

The chemicals from cigarettes can stay on the breath and on clothing for a couple of hours after smoking.

So no I would not allow someone to hold my baby if they smoked.

However, what other people do is none of my business. It is up to the individual to weigh up any risks to themselves and their family.

Inneedofbrandy Tue 09-Oct-12 13:50:38

I smoked outside till last June when I stopped smoking (thankyou to the mumsnetter who told me to read allan carr) I didn't even quit while pregnant I cut down to about 3 a day. If I could of quit before then I would have I don't beat myself up about it now.

I never sat and blew smoke in my childrens faces. I don't think it's that awful to smoke although the reason I don't start smoking again is because it's terribly selfish to smoke when you have children. I couldn't even pop to the park without having a fag and a cuppa tea first. Also smoking does shorten your life and kill you, why would you want to die early and leave your children behind.

Floggingmolly Tue 09-Oct-12 13:52:03

I wouldn't let anyone hold my young child after having a fag.
The toxic fumes cling to your clothes and hair, plus you breathe the fumes out for a long time after stubbing out the cigarette.
I'm an ex smoker; gave up when I got pregnant the first time, and won't let anyone smoke anywhere near my kids.

JennaMoroney Tue 09-Oct-12 13:52:31

i don't, never have. so relieved. at my 20 year reuniion you could really tell the smokers.

OldGreyWiffleTest Tue 09-Oct-12 13:54:17

You will not get answers to your question OP - you will just get a lot of posts from anti-smokers ^^

VinegarTits Tue 09-Oct-12 13:55:10

yes smoking really ages you alot, and you end up with voice like Derdrie Barlow

Hemlet Tue 09-Oct-12 13:55:33

I'm an ex smoker, in all honesty I'd probably feel a bit funny about having someone who'd just had a fag hold my baby (I don't have one yet but am 19week pregnant), because I know how unpleasant the smell and musjy 'residue' is for non-smokers. I wouldn't want my baby to put up with it.

SoleSource Tue 09-Oct-12 13:56:12

No smoking here, makes me feel sick and too expensive.

VinegarTits Tue 09-Oct-12 13:56:30

why dont you answer her questions then oldgrey?

higgle Tue 09-Oct-12 13:56:38

"i don't, never have. so relieved. at my 20 year reuniion you could really tell the smokers."

Me too - those of my colleagues who smoke look a good 10-15 years older than those who don't once they get past 30 ish.

GockandJuice Tue 09-Oct-12 13:57:44

I have one on my break at work (so four a week) and then if I socialize at the weekend without my little one i'll have some if i go pub club etc but don't smoke when the little one is at home or anything no.

Annunziata Tue 09-Oct-12 13:59:50

Occasionally. I don't see it any worse than having a drink now and again.

Woofsaidtheladybird Tue 09-Oct-12 14:01:25

I hate smoking. Now.

I smoked for over 20 years. I loved it. The minute I found out I was pregnant, that was it, no more. I haven't had a cigarette since. I admit it has been hard at times, but I really can't understand how and why people don't stop when pregnant. I was a 20 a day for years.

And no. I don't let anyone near my baby if they smoke. My dad smokes in his garage and comes in reeking. HE has smoked for 50 odd years and respects my decision in cleaning up before coming near my baby.

DuttonsForButtons Tue 09-Oct-12 14:01:31

I don't smoke and never have. A few friends at university smoked but they all stopped in the years immediately after we left university. Now I don't think I know anyone that smokes.

MaMattoo Tue 09-Oct-12 14:02:04

It matters not. If you are ok to smoke and feel you are managing to keep it away from your child and others children it should be ok.
There never will be a right answer to any of these questions. Drinking, smoking, drugs - the list of no's is endless. Do as you think is right. And whatever makes your life easier/happier. Don't use others measuring stick - it will only be painful.

ThreeEdgedSword Tue 09-Oct-12 14:03:19

I smoke, between 5 and 10 a day, but I always go outside. Partly because it's not fair for DS to have to breathe it in, and partly because I have asthmatic friends and family who couldn't visit if I smoked indoors. Besides, even I notice the smell when it clings to carpets and curtains.

My parents smoked in the house, around me and my brother, and it didn't do us any harm. Neither of us have asthma or any other breathing difficulties. Yes, I know smoking shortens your life, but I remember a comedian (can't remember who) saying "it's the shit years at the end, the ones you don't really want". An attitude the I know is daft, but it did make me giggle.

Sparklingbrook Tue 09-Oct-12 14:05:02

I am ant-smoking. I am sorry if that's not ok. Smoking is the reason the DC do not have any GPs on DH's side.

Woofsaidtheladybird Tue 09-Oct-12 14:05:05

Btw years ago my voice was very mariella frostrup. My smoking gave me nodules on my vocal cords which I had to have surgically removed and I gave up smoking (for a bit. Stupidly went back to it) When I recovered from my surgery my voice went back to 'normal'. My then boyfriend dumped me as I apparently didn't sound sexy anymore.
Twat.
grin

TantrumsAndBalloons Tue 09-Oct-12 14:05:27

Can I ask why you need to know?

I mean, I do smoke, yes. Not at home, at work or in the back garden but that's up to me. I couldn't care any less if the entire mumsnet community are anti smoking or smoke 40 a day.

I smoke because I choose to.
I have given up for 5 years, started again, given up again.

My choice.

If you want to smoke then do, if not then don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now