Talk

Advanced search

to not give my dd what she wants for Christmas (yes it's started already)?

(147 Posts)
scorpionne Tue 09-Oct-12 13:27:29

We have been living overseas since my dcs were very small. I think this has meant we've avoided a lot of the "crazes" as regards toys/clothes as there's not really one thing everyone has/wants. But....now dcs are in American school and DD(6) is desperate for one of these

I think they are revolting and have you seen how much they cost?! We don't tend to spend a lot on presents and it's never been an issue before and the dcs seem to be happy with what they get. We put more emphasis on doing nice things at Christmas than presents.

DD is doing the "all my friends have one" and it's actually true. They all do (American school but not in US). So far I have said no but AIBU? We've never bought any Wii/XBox or anything expensive like that and it's never been an issue but I'm wondering whether we were just very lucky that the older dcs never complained.

travellingwilbury Tue 09-Oct-12 13:31:31

I only got to the front page , is it a scary looking doll ?

If yes then yadnbu

Shudder !

scorpionne Tue 09-Oct-12 13:33:12

Not so much scary as unbelievably cheesy! The clothes cost twice as much as real clothes!

Indith Tue 09-Oct-12 13:35:05

We have an easy way round that one. Father Christmas makes all his presents, he can't possibly always get stuff that is in the shops so when you write your list to Father Christmas telling him the toys you like it is just to give him ideas and inspiration so he knows the sort of thing you like wink.

JamNan Tue 09-Oct-12 13:36:28

It could be worse you know . I was expecting your link to be a hideous pile of pink plastic grin. It is a bit expensive and I don't like the marketing behind it. But for a Christmas present I think it's OK (just).

YANBU though

Shesparkles Tue 09-Oct-12 13:37:14

The site isn't very clear, am I reading it correctly that the dolls are about $105, then you can get hit for outfits on top of that?

It's difficult to say whether or not it's unreasonable to not get it for her, it depends on so many variables.

However, if she were MY 6 yr old then I would for,the following reasons

We could afford it
It's entirely age appropriate
I don't see a problem with what looks like quite a nice doll, whether or not it's a "craze"

But valid salons for me might not be valid for you! I know I'd far rather my dd was playing with 1 of those than Barbie!

LadyBeagleEyes Tue 09-Oct-12 13:38:52

I think it's ok really.
Cheesy yes, but it's just a dress up doll that actually looks like a little girl, rather than a Barbie type.

MsVestibule Tue 09-Oct-12 13:40:28

Exactly what shesparkles says. (Thanks for saving me the effort wink.)

AMumInScotland Tue 09-Oct-12 13:40:35

For me it would depend how often I'd got the "But all my friends have x, I really really really want this" - if it's a rarity and you think she's a child who would appreciate it then I'd consider it, if I could afford it, and ask other family to maybe buy outfits for it.

But if you think its hideous and just the start of ongoing demands for more "stuff" then stand firm, they can't always get what they want!

zukiecat Tue 09-Oct-12 13:42:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Inneedofbrandy Tue 09-Oct-12 13:44:12

Does she actually play with dolls though? My dd has never played with dolls, and I forked out on a baby born with a bike and countless clothes. She doesn't ever get played with I think there's point buying something you know will collect dust . If she would play with it then you should gret it if you can afford to, look at us all lamenting on other threads how we never got the mr frosty.

FreePeaceSweet Tue 09-Oct-12 13:48:34

Actually I can think of worse things to buy. They are just well made dolls with well made accessories. I'd rather buy one of those than the predictably vile Bratz or Barbie crap dd asks for. They look like they'd last a long time if looked after by a child that doesn't draw tattoos or stitches onto her existing dolls.

TheOriginalNutcracker Tue 09-Oct-12 13:50:28

I'd get it. I'd have loved one at that age.

Narked Tue 09-Oct-12 13:50:57

They're not the nicest dolls I've seen and there's not actually that much choice, but as presents go, they're ok. The problem is they seem to be Build A Bear for dolls! You're paying a huge amount for the doll and all the tat that goes with it. If your DD wants it because it's what the other DC have, there's no point in looking for a nicer doll that's better value because she won't want it - she'll only want that type.

TakingTheStairs Tue 09-Oct-12 13:51:51

I may be wrong, but isn't part of the point of these dolls that you get one for your child that looks like the child. if your child has blonde hair, you get a doll with blonde hair etc.
I think it's sweet and age appropriate so why not? It's not as if your child asked for a replica gun.

Petsinmyputridpudenda Tue 09-Oct-12 13:52:28

The amount of stuff you can buy for it is staggering.

clothes
cutlery
A bath tub

that dolll has a better lifestyle then i do

LadyBeagleEyes Tue 09-Oct-12 13:52:51

I've just looked through the website and now I want one.
I love the outfits.

AMumInScotland Tue 09-Oct-12 13:53:52

I have to admit, when I was small I'd have loved to have had pyjamas that matched my doll's......

HeadfirstForHalos Tue 09-Oct-12 13:54:57

I think they look like nice dolls too! If I could afford it and one of my dd's wanted it then I'd buy one.

I like some of these-

store.americangirl.com/agshop/static/character.jsp

HeadfirstForHalos Tue 09-Oct-12 13:55:49

Is this your online business OP? You're getting us hooked grin

Narked Tue 09-Oct-12 13:56:00

Ah

They're very popular.

Petsinmyputridpudenda Tue 09-Oct-12 13:58:00

AMumInScotland - me too, I remember cutting up my dressing gown to make my doll one to match and being bollocked by my mum

scorpionne Tue 09-Oct-12 13:59:21

I just resent the cost and the pushy marketing. Once you have the doll there are endless accessories and clothes. People I know here have spent $1000 dollars on the whole "package" in one go. DD wanted a build-a-bear last year which she got, with various bits and pieces but the cost was nothing like these dolls and she's more or less lost interest in the bear now anyway.

She likes dolls at the moment, and got a lovely toddler-size one for her birthday which was only £20. I don't see how the American girl could be much better quality. We have never spent more than £50 each on the dcs at Christmas before.

I am prepared to say IABU though as I think we've probably had it easy up to now. Not sure DD will resent me in years' to come if I don't get the doll as she has a memory like a seive and I think we can distract her with something else, but it is a risk.

Narked Tue 09-Oct-12 13:59:51

Hell of a profit margin

Can you imagine how little it costs to make?

Merrylegs Tue 09-Oct-12 14:00:41

Ah ha ha. I almost knew what you were going to link to!

I feel your pain.

Only it might make your mind up to know that DD is 11 and is desperate for one of these! She has just started high school and a few of her friends have them too, so on the one hand there is longevity in them.

I agree, I think they are pretty ugly, although some are less ugly then others.

Did you know you can watch the movies on Youtube? DD has watched the 'McKenna' one zillions of times. They do peddle a notion of 'being true to yourself' and 'follow your heart' and 'a good friend is a true friend and 'be kind to puppies' type schmaltz, but it's harmless enough.

I don't know where you are but I would wonder how you would get it shipped? They only sell them in the States and overseas shipping is v expensive.

There is a seller that sells them unboxed but brand new on ebay. They typically go for around £50-60 and the shipping is another £20 (to UK).

FWIW if you can get hold of one, I think she would love it. You could ask relatives to buy clothes/accessories for birthdays and Xmas. And on the upside, if she gets bored of it after a year, they have a v good re-sell value on ebay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now