Talk

Advanced search

To ask the school if they would consider asthma training for their staff?

(31 Posts)
dribbleface Tue 09-Oct-12 11:24:51

DS1 has asthma, reasonably stable. The school has been good, his teacher is nervous of asthma, asks lots and lots of questions (which is fine by me and a great reassurance).

Asthma uk do some fab training for schools (which i believe is free), we are doing it at the nursery I run. We booked it for staff when I was reading the statistics of asthma deaths, we all have allergy training but not asthma training (we do all have 1st aid but not specific).

Would it be unreasonable to ask if they have had it/would consider it? Ds1 in foundation and do not want to be labelled one of those mums!

PinkFairyDust Tue 09-Oct-12 11:27:17

What have you got to lose? ESP as it is free but just remember not all staff will want to give up thier free time

honeytea Tue 09-Oct-12 11:29:01

I think it sounds like a great idea to give them the info and let them decide if they can fit the training in. Even if they just had a few staff member do the training it would be better than none.

dribbleface Tue 09-Oct-12 11:31:49

Thanks, might be brave and mention it! Just been reading on the asthma thread about a school that won't give ventolin! Makes me grateful for my lovely school. His teacher is lovely so may mention it next time she asks me about his asthma/medication.

somebloke123 Tue 09-Oct-12 11:35:21

Sounds very reasonable as when you are unable to get air into your lungs, speed is of the very essence.

They should at least have ventolin handy. Possibly also a nebuliser?

dribbleface Tue 09-Oct-12 11:38:50

somebloke123 - DS1 had his ventolin with him in the classroom/during PE etc. Was another school I read about on here than wouldn't give ventolin, which is outrageous

alphabite Tue 09-Oct-12 11:42:31

Sounds like a great idea.

Whistlingwaves Tue 09-Oct-12 11:43:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dribbleface Tue 09-Oct-12 11:46:40

Whistlingwaves angry that's awful. I will remember to check they take it when the do their wood walks etc. On our visit I remember seeing a teacher coming back from the swimming pool with at least 3 inhalers in her arms, so hoping they are on the ball for trips off premises too!

signet Tue 09-Oct-12 11:46:41

My son isn't even allowed his inhaler in his classroom. Has to be kept locked away by the school secretary. If he needs it he has to go and find her and get it. When they took him to his class swimming lessons last term they didn't even let him take his inhaler with him - duh!

dribbleface Tue 09-Oct-12 11:48:10

signet - think I am very lucky then. I just do not get why some schools have such a lax attitude to it.

somebloke123 Tue 09-Oct-12 11:54:05

signet

That just beggars belief. Do they not realise that someone having a severe asthma attack is actually suffocating? You need to have an inhaler immediately accessible plus the means of getting further help asap.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 09-Oct-12 11:54:16

They don't have a lax attitude - the very opposite.

They don't let the kids have it in case kid loses it and has attack and gets named.

They don't have spares because it's a prescription medication that needs to be prescribed for a particular individual.

They don't administer it because it is not within their remit to give medication and they don't want to be sued.

Exactly the same shitty issues with epi pens

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 09-Oct-12 11:54:45

Named=blamed

echt Tue 09-Oct-12 11:56:27

We have compulsory asthma/anaphylactic training every year here in my bit of Oz. 15 minutes.

Would I be 100% reliable in an emergency? No. would I be held completely responsible? Yes.

dribbleface Tue 09-Oct-12 12:00:14

Ok, maybe not a lax attitude to getting sued! Maybe I think differently but as a nursery we have no choice but to administer it, have provision in place to keep it safe but immediately on hand.

Simple enough solution, 2 inhalers one in school office, one with child (if old enough), not sure about school insurance but ours is very clear about medication/precautions and therefore reducing the risk of being sued.

Know its difficult but they do have a duty to keep the child safe.

Euphemia Tue 09-Oct-12 12:01:47

YANBU. We're having three hours (!) of asthma training on our next Inservice day.

dribbleface Tue 09-Oct-12 12:02:31

Euphemia glad your school (i assume) is doing it. I wonder how many schools do?

Euphemia Tue 09-Oct-12 12:09:50

Yes, it's a school. Our local council has told us we have to do it.

dribbleface Tue 09-Oct-12 12:10:30

Interesting about the council. Thanks

SusanneLinder Tue 09-Oct-12 12:17:37

I had the same problem with my school when my daughter had asthma. They held her inhaler in the school office. She was perfectly careful in administrating it herself(unless they are VERY young, its the first thing they are taught by the asthma nurse) and knew how important it was to keep her inhaler with her at all times.

I FREAKED cos my daughter ended up having a full blown asthma attack at school because they took her inhaler off her She went from wheezy to blue lighted to hospital as it was a full 10 MINS, as somebody had gone somewhere with the medicine cupboard key. Asthma is DANGEROUS and every minute counts.

Yup every school should have asthma training, even just to be aware of how dangerous it can be.

redwhiteandblueeyedsusan Tue 09-Oct-12 12:41:38

we were told that the children should have their inhaler in their tray in the classroom where they can access it immediately. alternatively on the teachers desk. keeping the inhaler in the school office is the stupedest thing ever.

SusanneLinder Tue 09-Oct-12 12:48:11

They soon changed their policy.

MissAnnersley Tue 09-Oct-12 12:52:44

DS's school has a new policy which means he carries his inhaler with him at all times and a spare is kept in the office. I have to fill in about 4 pages of medical forms for him which seems a small price to pay.

Startailoforangeandgold Tue 09-Oct-12 13:05:21

UANBU I went to a brilliant one as a Brown Owl done by one of the local Asthma nurses. Various people had asked because of the number of inhalers appearing on camp.

DD has very mild asthma and she's given up telling people she needs to keep her inhaler with her not in the office. She just does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now