Talk

Advanced search

to feel that most people feel it is OK to make nasty comments/ridicule an overweight/fat person'?

(144 Posts)
SoleSource Tue 09-Oct-12 11:12:48

AIBU?

Its the one thing people think its ok to mock so yanbu.

MsVestibule Tue 09-Oct-12 11:14:40

YABU. Most people do not think it is OK to ridicule a fat person. HTH.

Hammy02 Tue 09-Oct-12 11:15:05

YANBU. Only comfort is knowing only a deeply unhappy person would say something like that.

Psammead Tue 09-Oct-12 11:15:32

I do not think this is acceptable. I am not close with who does, either.

Caerlaverock Tue 09-Oct-12 11:16:12

I almost never hear anyone ridiculing overweight people.

IfImHonest Tue 09-Oct-12 11:16:39

Oh, I think it's much more subtle than that. Most people I know wouldn't actually ridicule an overweight person or say something hurtful. But they would think of them as a lesser person. One of my good friends recently told me that she thought that obese people had 'no control' and that it was clearly a 'working class thing'. Not that subtle, but she'd never have told someone they were fat to their face.

lynniep Tue 09-Oct-12 11:19:34

I dont think that MOST folk do TBH. Not in RL anyway. Not publicly. The internet is a whole different kettle of fish because those people can remain anonymous for the most part - nice little safety net.

It is good to see that folk cannot get away with just saying anything they like online though (am talking about the bloke who has been jailed for sick comments about April on fb)

MaBaya Tue 09-Oct-12 11:20:28

I dont think you can say 'most' people. I would never do it, neither would any of my close friends or my DH. I think it is exceptionally cruel and rude to mock people about their appearance full stop.

But yes, its is still socially acceptable in some arenas. You only have to open up a womens mag or tabloid to see pictures of not-even-that-fat women being ridiculed and criticised for their weight.

sookiesookie Tue 09-Oct-12 11:21:30

Yabu, most people do not think its ok to ridicule OR think less of someone because of they are over weight.

Some dickheads do, but most people do not.

MaBaya Tue 09-Oct-12 11:21:46

Actually, I am reminded though recently of a woman I work with who said 'fat people just make me sick. People are starving in the world and these gluttons are stuffing themselves'. I was speechless.

dexter73 Tue 09-Oct-12 11:22:45

Why do you think that?

SoleSource Tue 09-Oct-12 11:23:16

I am fat.

dexter73 Tue 09-Oct-12 11:23:58

And everybody ridicules you when you go out?

SoleSource Tue 09-Oct-12 11:24:14

I am hoping I am BU.

SoleSource Tue 09-Oct-12 11:24:40

No dexter.

VinegarTits Tue 09-Oct-12 11:24:56

YABU to say 'most people', where did you get this information?

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Tue 09-Oct-12 11:25:13

I don't think it's ok and neither do my friends.

I think you're wrong.

OhChristFENTON Tue 09-Oct-12 11:25:34

If you honestly feel that most people feel it is OK to make nasty comments/ridicule an overweight/fat person' then you are mixing in the wrong circles.

I truly have never heard any adult do this, and only very rarely heard a child do it.

MsVestibule Tue 09-Oct-12 11:25:46

I am fat. And? Do you get a lot of insults to your face? Snide comments supposedly behind your back? Offended by comedians "jokes"? Has something happened recently to upset you?

dexter73 Tue 09-Oct-12 11:26:29

Ok, I think yabu. I don't think most people think it is ok to ridicule anybody. I certainly don't hear it going on around me.

GwendolineScaryLacey Tue 09-Oct-12 11:26:33

YANBU. It's sometimes explicit, sometimes subtle but it's there.

SoleSource Tue 09-Oct-12 11:27:41

Not 100% either way,.I am asking a question. I have noticed people treat me differently compared to whenI am slim.

Viviennemary Tue 09-Oct-12 11:28:43

No I don't think most people feel it's OK. I think more people feel it's OK to make a comment if a person is excessively slim. I'm a bit overweight and usually I feel people are more kind than I might want them to be if I say do I need to lose weight. I'd rather they said yes you do. But only one of my friends says that. Maybe I should listen to her!

SoleSource Tue 09-Oct-12 11:29:34

In Sainsburys tbe other day a womanpointed at me and laughed whilst looking at her two Sons. In Sutton Coldfield.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now