Talk

Advanced search

To ask for free

(17 Posts)
orangeflute Tue 09-Oct-12 10:45:54

extras on a new build part exchange. We are looking at doing a P/X for a new build and I was wondering would it be wrong to ask for some fitted wardrobes and blinds thrown in for free. I was wondering are they doing us a 'favour' by doing a p/x and if this is so then would I be cheeky in asking for some free stuff. Thanks in advance xx

No idea but you may as well ask...........Good luck smile

imperialstateknickers Tue 09-Oct-12 10:56:59

If you don't ask you don't get. One thing I've noticed a lot of the new builds haven't got is a tap in the garden to fix a hosepipe to (yes I know it's tipping down now!) but have you ever tried cleaning off dogs, bikes, wetsuits etc without one? That's just the sort of thing that's easy to put in early but a PITA when the decorating's been done.

TraineeBabyCatcher Tue 09-Oct-12 11:03:11

Work on the theory of 3 thirds.

3rd building materials
3rd costs/labour/etc
3rd profit
Bare in mind the margin of profit they're making (and the room for price adjustments this grants) and go for it. Because of this profit, they can p/x and afford to sell yours for less than you would as they're still making a profit. A few freebies and a quick sale is far better for them than a house sat doing nothing.
Worst they can do is say no.

We have a friend who offered £120k on a £150k new build. The company winced and then accepted. After all they still made £20k profit (and they had had the house sitting around doing nothing)

orangeflute Tue 09-Oct-12 11:04:22

so my list is:-
fitted wardrobes
blinds
tap in garden

Any more?
And at what point do I ask?

jeee Tue 09-Oct-12 11:08:09

They are not doing you a 'favour' on the part exchange. For them it is business. And it's definitely worth asking for the freebies. After all, the worst that can happen is that they say 'no'.

I'd ask for the lawns to be turfed, btw.

orangeflute Tue 09-Oct-12 11:14:25

jeee- thanks for that, lawns are turfed already. Do you really pay extra for grass?

jeee Tue 09-Oct-12 11:54:00

I've never seen a new build where the back garden was turfed. At least you'll get that.

I meant to say in my earlier post that I'd ask for the extras asap. And if they seem happy to provide them, I'd stand out for extra stuff. Keep asking until they get annoyed with you!

bubalou Tue 09-Oct-12 12:07:29

On our new build before this house we got free carpets throughout the whole house - 4 bedroom!

Not bad.

Give it a go.

orangeflute Tue 09-Oct-12 12:32:26

They have included carpets already x

Mumofjz Tue 09-Oct-12 12:36:28

a door into the garage, so you can go in and out as you please rather than keep lifting the BIG garage door

Whitecherry Tue 09-Oct-12 17:58:43

Garden tap.... They try and make new builds Eco friendly so they might not

Water but fitted to guttering?
Shed?

issimma Tue 09-Oct-12 18:02:46

We were told no extras as part Xing... But we haggled and got lots (no fitted wardrobes though sad).

issimma Tue 09-Oct-12 18:14:18

Tap and turf were included as standard.
We got carpet throughout, ceramic tiles in kitchen and bathrooms, legal fees, stamp duty, oven upgrade. And more, I think, but can't remember!
Oh and more £££ off cos they made a mistake...

orangeflute Thu 11-Oct-12 21:16:18

hi issimma, at what point did you do your haggling?

issimma Thu 11-Oct-12 21:46:54

Once the part x had been approved. Went for the 'we'd like to go ahead, but we'll need ...'.
We had a really long list and didn't get all of it, but they can only say 'no' so worth a try. Good luck grin.

orangeflute Thu 11-Oct-12 22:29:19

thanks issimma. They want the reservation fee tomorrow and the financial year end for the company is 31st December. So we were hoping that we would get some things. As they have offered just under the stamp duty thresehold we were hoping that they might also consider putting towards ours xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now