Talk

Advanced search

To ask if anyone in the history of mankind has ever successfully got whiteboard marker stains off clothes?

(17 Posts)
wellthatsdoneit Tue 09-Oct-12 09:35:54

Is it worth my effort making enquiries as to what rubbing alcohol is and where to buy it, or shall I just send young master wellthatsdoneit to school in jumpers covered in whiteboard marker?

Mrsjay Tue 09-Oct-12 09:37:38

spray with hairspray then wash them should get the stains out it works for pen so worth a try,,

Poledra Tue 09-Oct-12 09:38:17

I usually go with your second option....

<lazy mare>

mumnosGOLDisbest Tue 09-Oct-12 09:42:19

soak it in milk (full fat). that usually gets most pen stains out.

Floopy21 Tue 09-Oct-12 10:21:19

I have! Soaked in a strong solution of napisan for a few days, used vanish& rubbed stain out, rinsed chemicals out & washed...the only thing that works for tomato stains too. The joy of laundry? !

elfycat Tue 09-Oct-12 10:26:02

My mother used to use petrol to get stains out of clothing (DParents had a petrol station but anyone with a petrol mower might have some in a can in the garage). It was effective on gloss paint and all sorts.

You only need a tiny bit - spot test first (it might melt artificial fibres for all I know) - obviously no smoking or naked flames until the clothes have been washed again.

A possible last resort before binning?

Mrsjay Tue 09-Oct-12 10:32:28

Oh rubbing alcohol is either surgical spirits or meths , my DH has used meths to get paint of window frames .

redwhiteandblueeyedsusan Tue 09-Oct-12 12:17:21

someone at school got them off with a thick paste of vanish powderstuff. I have been meaning to ask her what it as so that i can get them out too.

ceebeegeebies Tue 09-Oct-12 12:20:33

DS1 does not have a school top that doesn't have whiteboard marks all over it (including his jumpers)!

wellthatsdoneit Tue 09-Oct-12 12:29:03

Oh my god! I've done it! It's a miracle - a MIRACLE I tell you!

Here's what I did:
I put a cloth underneath the stain and sprayed it liberally with hairspray. I used another cloth and pressed down hard on it. To my surprise a large amount of ink transferred to the cloth. I repeated this until no more ink was transferring. There was still a significant stain on the jumper. I sprayed it again with hairspray for good measure and chucked it in the wash on a long cycle. Lo and behold, it's gone!

Praise be to the gods of stain removal, for they have smiled upon me today!

Thank you for all the tips.

KeithLeMonde Tue 09-Oct-12 12:31:16

Ooh, top tip, thank you.

I have to be honest, I send the kids into school in grimy, pen-marked jumpers, in the hope that the teachers will notice and stop them using the blimming things (or at least work out a way of using them without getting covered in unwash-off-able ink).

wellthatsdoneit Tue 09-Oct-12 12:35:30

I am disproportionately pleased! Nothing like this has ever happened for me before! EVER!

I did the hairspray-cloth-press procedure on both sides of the stain (front and and back, if you see what I mean).

baabi Tue 09-Oct-12 13:11:08

Thank you for that tip, I should try it this weekend. I go with the option of sending DC with with pen marks to school as I got fed up of buying new tops all the time, but I hate clothes with stains/ marks. I had tried everything including bleach on the white tops and nothings seems to work!

NeDeLaMer Tue 09-Oct-12 13:13:53

grin

Some days it doesn't take too much to make you smile does it!

I find soaking them in milk works. Soak them (I do it overnight) then throw them in the washing machine (before they are washed they still look like they have the marks).

wellthatsdoneit Tue 09-Oct-12 13:18:39

Just reporting back that the hairspray technique does not seem to work on clothes that have already been washed and dried with the stain. I might try some of the other techniques mentioned here for that.

Surely someone somewhere must be doing a phd on this very matter. I must email them my findings so far.

oldraver Tue 09-Oct-12 16:13:57

I'm going to try this when Ds has new stains as he will. His new teacher was surprised and thought they would be washable. I wonder if she thought we were sending DC's in skanky tops well I am sort of

Mrsjay Wed 10-Oct-12 19:10:09

told ya grin glad hairspray worked for you I think sometimes when stains are washed in it is a lost cause trying to get them out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now