Talk

Advanced search

about this parking ticket?

(17 Posts)
HomelessMummy Mon 08-Oct-12 18:29:57

We hired a van - we needed it for Sunday but had to pick it up on the saturday evening due to the office being shut Sundays.

They told us that it had to be back by 5. A guy came at 5 to check all the vans were in and if not, we'd be charged.

We got the van back for 4.30. As we arrived, 4 other vans were being returned and there was no room on the forecourt. We parked it on the road with a visitors permit and put the keys through the door as instructed.

When I went to get the deposit back today they gave us a ticket which had been placed on the van. The permit had been incorrectly filled in. (forgot to write the registration on as I had no pen to hand at the time) The date etc was correct.

The parking ticket was issued after the office guy had been round to check that the vans were back.

So technically, it was after the van had been returned - it was no longer 'loaned' to us as it was after 5pm when our agreement ended.

I think the rental guy should have checked that the permit was right before leaving it for the night - it must be part of his job. But equally, I know that it was our mistake for not filling the permit out so I am a bit confused about it.

Who should pay?

DesperatelySeekingPomBears Mon 08-Oct-12 18:31:13

Them. If the ticket was issued after 5pm.

TidyGOLDDancer Mon 08-Oct-12 18:32:21

I would offer at least half I think. Yes it was outside of the time and it had been checked in, but it was ultimately your fault.

LRDtheFeministDragon Mon 08-Oct-12 18:33:05

Them.

If I were them I'd be really cross, because it was your mistake got them the ticket - but you'd returned it. They are being cheeky to ask you to be responsible for something that happened outside the time when it was out to you.

SeveredEdMcDunnough Mon 08-Oct-12 18:34:40

Can you appeal the ticket? Or get them to.

phantomnamechanger Mon 08-Oct-12 18:39:08

surely you had to sign some paperwork with all their T&C on it - what does it say? If it says they supply a permit to use, you could argue THEY should supply it with the reg on it. If the wording explains how to use the permit and that you need to fill it in etc, then you have not completed your part of the deal, so you are liable.

How much is the ticket compared to the van hire, out of interest? And have you ever used this firm before - if you were a regular they should pay it definitely!

HomelessMummy Mon 08-Oct-12 18:40:05

I really am in two minds about this.

If it was before 5 and still loaned to us then of course we would pay it but I just feel that as it was checked back to them they should have made sure it was legally parked before leaving it there overnight.

Maybe offering half would be a good compromise.

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 08-Oct-12 18:42:32

if it was after the loan time then you are not incharge of the car nor its location. its there problem

HomelessMummy Mon 08-Oct-12 18:42:47

Will dig out the T&Cs and have a look but we supplied the permit. If we hadn't had had one we would have gotten a ticket from the machine but this firm is in the next road so we have the same zoning so I bought a visitor permit to use all day incase we needed it.

TraineeBabyCatcher Mon 08-Oct-12 18:43:05

If the keys were posted though the box how could be have corrected the permit?

SeveredEdMcDunnough Mon 08-Oct-12 18:45:28

Deffo appeal the ticket - it seems really arbitrary, to fine you for missing out the reg details on the ticket. Say you had no pen, you paid for that parking, it's ridiculous to make you pay again just because of that.

Worth a try anyway...I emailed parking dept at the council once (first ticket ever) and got off.

HomelessMummy Mon 08-Oct-12 18:46:01

He works there Trainee - I think he would have the office keys tbh.

HomelessMummy Mon 08-Oct-12 18:49:05

That will be our first call I think Severed.

The parking attendant had stated that it could have been used for multiple vehicles. I think it's because they thought the hire place were trying to use the visitors permits on different vans during the day to save money.

TraineeBabyCatcher Mon 08-Oct-12 18:50:21

In that case I don't think they have any possible reason to blame you.

If the yard was full, where do they normally store the extra vehicle?

SeveredEdMcDunnough Mon 08-Oct-12 18:55:41

Yes if you politely explai nthat you bought it, and live in nearby street, and didn't have a pen, and their forecourt was full - they might well let you off.

HomelessMummy Mon 08-Oct-12 19:04:39

Out on the street Trainee.

I think it may be part of an ongoing 'thing' between the parking attendants and the company by what he was saying about them.

Other people parked up on the street and weren't too happy about paying the extra parking money I think.

Bad planning on their part to not have enough room for all the vans. It was packed solid today too. They have several sites close by so maybe shuffle them around or something.

SeventhEverything Mon 08-Oct-12 19:09:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now