Talk

Advanced search

Parking thread with a difference

(66 Posts)
Gentleness Mon 08-Oct-12 14:12:45

Ok, I get that there are people on here who think Parent&Child spaces are loads of cobblers, but they do exist so let's just leave that debate to one side...

Saw something in the P&C row of parking today that stunned me. I was waiting for a space (2 toddlers, spd is agony today and I needed essentials so happy to wait for an easier time dealing with lifting & strapping them in etc). Another car was waiting too, arrived a bit after me.

Two women, with one toddler, were having a long conversation by one of their cars, aware of the cars waiting but carrying on. After about 5 minutes this was mildly irritating but I was more concerned about my hips than wasting time. Anyway - one walked off with the toddler to her car and sorted the lifting, strapping, packing etc while the other turned to her car, also in a P&C space and started on her trolley.

None of her stuff was bagged up - she had a pile of new carrier bags and proceeded to pack a trolley FULL into the bags and then put them in the car at about half the speed I'd do it! By the time I'd parked in the first space, unpacked 2 toddlers, potty, nappy bag, bag of shopping bags, hand bag, put them all down again because one toddler was trying to wipe copious amounts of snot on me, sorted him and got organised to walk to the trolleys again, she was less than half way through packing up her trolley. No child and no child seat in the car. The face on the man waiting behind me was picturesque - he must have been waiting getting on for 10 minutes by then. I tried to give him a commiseratory smile but it's a hard expression to pull off.

How weird is that? Would you think that was weird? It was drizzling too, heavy enough for us to be really damp by the time we got to the trolleys. There was no lack of parking spaces equally near the store, normal ones and disabled ones. What was she thinking? And why not at least get your bags packed under shelter in in the store? It was very odd. Odd enough that I feel like I must have missed some really obvious explanation.

Whitecherry Mon 08-Oct-12 14:15:47

Had she stolen it all ?

Just walked out without paying.... Having first grabbed a load of bags?

WilfredToadflax Mon 08-Oct-12 14:19:00

I'd think that her toddler had had a tantrum in the shop, and she'd flung everything in the trolley as quickly as possible.

PickledFanjoCat Mon 08-Oct-12 14:22:19

Its unorthodox, but wouldn't strike me as terribly odd I have to say.

agedknees Mon 08-Oct-12 14:22:32

Wilfred - I don't think she had a child.

I would say she was just a very, very selfish person.

Spatsky Mon 08-Oct-12 14:27:14

The p and c parking space aside, my husband once did that when I left him to do the cashier part of the shopping when baby despertatley needed a feed mid wait for the till.

I couldn't believe he had just dumped everything in the trolley completely unbagged, he thought it was a totally reasonable way to pack the shopping.

I found it weird, he's generally slovenly with domestic stuff so shouldn't have been surpris really.

PickledFanjoCat Mon 08-Oct-12 14:30:34

Well if you think of it like this either someone had to wait for her to bag up inside, or wait for her to bag up outside.

Its it that unreasonable? Dunno. I cant get my mood on about it.

VinegarTits Mon 08-Oct-12 14:37:54

which part are you asking was she BU about? parking in P&C without a child? or packing her shopping into her car in her own time?

did you watch her drive off?

LunaticFringe Mon 08-Oct-12 14:45:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EagleRiderDirk Mon 08-Oct-12 14:49:03

I've seen people do this. Our local tesco does scan as you shop so people just scan, load their trolleys, grab bags at the end then pack at the car. I always think its odd and rude that people do this at busy times. Though maybe she thought that as it was a less busy time it'd be ok.

WorraLiberty Mon 08-Oct-12 14:50:29

Your thread title is misleading

Basically you're moaning about having to wait for a P&C space because someone without a kids was parked in it.

<< Disappointed >>

VinegarTits Mon 08-Oct-12 14:54:06

actually youre not even moaning about having to wait for a p&c space as you had already got your space

what actually is your point?

Woozley Mon 08-Oct-12 14:55:32

I've packed at the car when doing self scan and forgot to take my bags in, but it was quiet, not a P&C space, and indoor carpark and there was no-one waiting for the space. I don't see anything wrong with packing at the car per se but it was unreasonable to a) take up a P&C space when she didn't need it and b) to faff about unduly when people are waiting for spaces.

PickledFanjoCat Mon 08-Oct-12 15:07:35

IM sorry but if this was the case:

There was no lack of parking spaces equally near the store, normal ones and disabled ones. What was she thinking?

Why the fuckity fuck were people queueing for the spesh one?

More fool the man waiting I say.

Gentleness Mon 08-Oct-12 16:10:53

It was a huge trolley-full so worrying if she had managed to sneak it past security without paying!

I often use the fast-track system and when I forget my bags, I ask the person manning the self-scan tills if I can grab a few bags and it is always fine. And anyway, in that weather, I'd be packing my dry shopping in a warm, dry, spacious shop over getting it all wet, then packing it wet and getting wet myself, even in a spacious P&C space. I'm sure I saw flour in there (it was quite boring waiting!).

I don't know why the man was waiting. But it was important enough to him to wait that long. Usually genuine users of P&C spaces seem to have a bit of a "we're all in it together" attitude to each other, particularly at that store. She was oblivious for whatever reason...

Check out the last paragraph of my post for my point Vinegar. Other people have managed to find it. The whole thing struck me as odd. And no worra, I wasn't just having a whinge at waiting. The pain I'm in today, I would have waited half an hour!

Shutupanddrive Mon 08-Oct-12 16:20:27

Maybe she forgot her bags so packed it into the car ready to take home? Yes, she should not have parked there without children, but I hate it when people try and rush you for your space before you have finished. He could have gone somewhere else if he didn't want to wait

MrsKeithRichards Mon 08-Oct-12 16:20:36

People actually wait for these spaces? And carry potty's around?

The mind boggles.

VinegarTits Mon 08-Oct-12 16:26:14

what are you asking AIBU about?? hmm her parking in p&c, her taking an age to pack her car or thinking she was odd?

VinegarTits Mon 08-Oct-12 16:28:52

and its quite possible that her dh/sister/friend/mother was still inside the store with her child, possibly feeding/changing, still shopping

you really do take far to much interest in what other people do in their cars hmm

PickledFanjoCat Mon 08-Oct-12 16:29:50

If there was plenty of places he was being silly to wait. And you said there were plenty of places as near, so they weren't really doing any harm to have a chat.

Don't sweat the small stuff I say. It's just not worth it.

PickledFanjoCat Mon 08-Oct-12 16:30:12

Vinegar tits. I remember her!

threesocksmorgan Mon 08-Oct-12 16:34:24

yanbu
I Would have thought that odd as well. seems a lot of works.
saying that I wish ASDA would lend me a trolly, I have a massive WAV with a lift, I could just put it on board and bring it back the next time.....

BackforGood Mon 08-Oct-12 16:34:56

That's a bit odd, but then so is
a) waiting 5mins+ for a P&C space when you could have parked elsewhere
and
b) carrying a potty with you to the supermarket hmm

So - each to their own really.

Oh, and lots of people pack that way at Aldi for anyone who want to see it done grin

Gentleness Mon 08-Oct-12 16:48:56

Goodness me! Heard of spd BackForGood? That grinding, vicious pelvic pain means you'd do a lot to have a bit of extra space to unload kids without having to twist your hips any more than necessary. Carrying a potty is because ds1 has had a major reversion from recent potty training - means we're back to the travel potty because frankly I can't get anywhere fast these days. See - there's extra information behind every story. It wasn't relevant to my finding this lady's behaviour odd, except in that I know there are back stories and couldn't think what her's might be.

Most people at Aldi pack their trolley into bags indoors!

Wondering what exactly you are getting at Vinegar? Are you never intrigued by a stranger's behaviour?

MrsKeithRichards Mon 08-Oct-12 17:09:23

I pack at the car in Aldi. I find it was easier and stuff anyone waiting! They'd be waiting the same time if I choose to do is inside and again as I unload.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now