Talk

Advanced search

to think mumnset won't be happy to hear middle class parents drink too much?

(265 Posts)
Toothiepeg Mon 08-Oct-12 13:45:27

I don't drink at all. I agree with the findings of www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19870190 this study. I'm guessing though that many mumsnetters will dislike hearing the truth?

As a nation we drink too much - it's as simple and horrible as that.

ilovemyteddies Mon 08-Oct-12 13:46:58

biscuit

wine
wine
wine

cheekydevil Mon 08-Oct-12 13:47:11

I'm not middle class hmm

SoupDragon Mon 08-Oct-12 13:47:44

I don't think excess alcohol consumption has anything to do with class.

Feminine Mon 08-Oct-12 13:48:15

I think that is true.

I lived in the US for 7 yrs, I was very shocked to see the amount many people here go through.

My Dad and Stepmother drink every day,with a massive blow -out at the W/end too!

They think its normal

Inneedofbrandy Mon 08-Oct-12 13:48:16

I'm not middle class.

maddening Mon 08-Oct-12 13:49:24

yanbu - it is simple but folk do get antsy defending booze - booze is worse imo than many illegal drugs (from both toxicity and addiction pov) but apparently it's ok as it's legal hmm

FunnysInLaJardin Mon 08-Oct-12 13:50:46

I shouldn't think MN will be in the least bit surprised to hear that MC parents drink too much.

ithinkimightbegoingmad Mon 08-Oct-12 13:50:56

i agree with soupdragon however most people subconsciously think it is the working class who drink too much

(very very very occasional working class binge-drinker here)

Mollydoggerson Mon 08-Oct-12 13:51:23

I totally agree with the sentiment of the article.

Raspberryandorangesorbet Mon 08-Oct-12 13:51:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZombTEE Mon 08-Oct-12 13:52:30

I'm actually Royalty in disguise.

Can I drink whatever I like? Is it just the middle class who are judged on this?

Toothiepeg Mon 08-Oct-12 13:53:22

I think that a lot of people do think wine doesn't count and they are in fact more dependant on booze then they realise.

porcamiseria Mon 08-Oct-12 13:54:27

no shit sherlock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raspberryandorangesorbet Mon 08-Oct-12 13:54:49

ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 08-Oct-12 13:56:10

I really don't understand this.

Is MN perceived (by who) to be solely MC?

Is that why you think MN won't be happy that MC drinkers are being categorised as drinking excessively?

Does anyone remember those sentence tasks that you did at school were you had to state whether the sentences related to each other or were totally mutually exclusive?

Mollydoggerson Mon 08-Oct-12 13:56:18

I dont think the findings are any surprise.

It's moreso that everyone just accepts the English and Irish drink too much. I think most people are ambivalent to excessive drinking of all age groups.

I dont really think it is a class divide problem either, just excessive drinking is now normalised.

I do agree it effects parenting, hardly groundbreaking news.

MrsKeithRichards Mon 08-Oct-12 13:56:19

Yabu for assuming everyone is concerned with middle class issues!

WilfredToadflax Mon 08-Oct-12 13:56:45

I'm not surprised by this article at all.
I know plenty of educated, professional couples who will go through a bottle or two of wine a day, and more at the weekends.
I find it quite surprising how normal it is to drink every day.
Then again, I don't drink at all, and dh only very occasionally, so I'm not best placed to judge.

catgirl1976 Mon 08-Oct-12 13:57:01

Back. Away. From. My. wine

ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 08-Oct-12 13:57:51

Who on earth thinks wine doesn't count?

Is it like those people who diet and think that stuff eaten standing up doesn't count?

[cinfused]

ZombTEE Mon 08-Oct-12 13:57:58

Real Royalty. The kind who, you know, pretend to rule the world.

I may be lying.

Rooble Mon 08-Oct-12 13:58:00

I do drink alcohol, maybe once or twice a week but am inclined to agree with you. I never realised how normal it was for many (wealthy, middle-class) people to drink heavily round their kids until 10 years ago, I met a friend of a colleague in the pub: she spent a long time telling everyone how unfair life was because her 8 year old DS had said to her before she went out "please mummy don't get drunk tonight." She answered, "why do you say that to me, not your father? He gets drunk too?" And the child said "because daddy doesn't fall over when he gets drunk".
Everyone in her group laughed. No one called SS. No one suggested to her she really badly needed some help. (Very affluent, apparently respectable lawyers). But it was such a depressing thing to witness.
The only drunks I ever saw as a child were street drinkers.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Mon 08-Oct-12 13:58:07

Mintyy Mon 08-Oct-12 13:58:31

I think on the whole most mumsnetters do recognise the truth in this and countless other articles/soundbites like that.

Your op is positively gleeful! Would you like a medal?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now